straight cut on saw

Old September 28th 04, 03:57 PM
Jack Schmidling

"Abrasha"

Personally, I think Dali sucks. ::shrug:: just my humble (and probably

in
your view, worthless) opinion.

You said it. Utterly wothless indeed.

You are getting soft. A smiley?

js

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling.netfirms.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Gems, Sausage, http://schmidling.netfirms.com

Old September 29th 04, 02:38 AM
Abrasha

Jack Schmidling wrote:
=

"Abrasha"
=

Personally, I think Dali sucks. ::shrug:: just my humble (and prob=

ably
in
your view, worthless) opinion.

You said it. Utterly wothless indeed.

=

You are getting soft. A smiley?
=

What is one going to say to a person who says "Dali sucks"? One would ha=
ve to
drag in Da Da, the history of the Surrealist Movement, the skills of the =
craft
of painting as well as the skills and craft of jewelry making (he designe=
d a
remarkable collection of "jewelry"), and a host of other historical and a=
rt
related issues. =

http://www.dali-estate.org/eng/joies.htm Click on the individual pieces =
to look
at the design drawings. I have images of 31 of the pieces, in a catalogu=
e from
a large Dali exhibition I saw in 1970 at the Museum Boymans-van Beuningen=
in
Rotterdam, Holland. This was 3 years before I became a goldsmith.

That person's statement is so utterly ignorant, preposterous, vapid, off =
the
wall, and so lacking of any understanding of painting in general and of t=
he work
of Salvador Dali in particular, that one can only respond with a smiley.

Maybe I should have responded with ROTFLMFAO.

That statement was indeed so utterly worthless, it could not possibly be =
taken
serious. Anything else I would have said, would have been severely edite=
d by
Peter. (Moderated newsgroups are lame. There is nothing wrong with a go=
od
flame war from time to time.)

Abrasha

PS:

Spanish state polishes up famous Dali gold jewellery =

Wednesday 04th of February, 2004 =

=

On the fifteenth year since Salvador Dali's death the Spanish state has
inherited the famous surrealist assets and advertising rights, including =
an
array of stunning gold jewellery.

The collection will be managed by the Gala-Salvador Dali Foundation, whic=
h has
been involved with Dali's oeuvre since 1995.

First established in 1983 by the famous surrealist himself, the foundatio=
n was
designed to 'promote' and 'protect' what he termed his 'artistic, cultura=
l and
intellectual' heritage.

Now the Foundation is charged by the state with keeping this legacy alive=
,
including the stunning collection of gold jewellery.

The Foundation has procured 37 gold items of jewellery and precious stone=
s from
the Owen Cheatham Foundation collection, which were first fashioned in 19=
41.

Designed by Salvador Dali with his usual precise instructions, the jewels=
were
made up in New York by the Argentinean-born silversmith Carlos Alemany un=
der the
supervision of the artist. =

The collection of works collated by Dali between 1932 and 1970 is now on =
show in
the Dali Jewels exhibition close to the Dali theatre-museum. =

=A9 DeHavilland Direct News =

http://www.abrasha.com
Old September 29th 04, 02:38 AM
mbstevens

Jack Schmidling wrote:

"Abrasha"

Personally, I think Dali sucks. ::shrug:: just my humble (and probably

in
your view, worthless) opinion.

He was a magazine illustrator with bad dreams.
Surfing on the work of the surrealist writers like Duclasse.
Have to say I do like his jewelry a little bit, though.
Take a really bad dream and make it sparkly and shiny --
that's at least a little bit interesting.
--
mbstevens
http://www.mbstevens.com

Old September 29th 04, 02:38 AM
Paul K. Dickman

It was nearly 30 years ago. I can't recall what edition but they definitely
had 18th or early 19th cent bindings.

I spent many happy hours in college sitting in the library pouring over
them. I never checked them out, they were enormous folios that probably
weigh 15 lbs a piece. I didn't want to have to carry them around, and I
certainly didn't want to screw one up.

The library did have a rare book dept, but they didn't control these.

I'm sure that was some sort of oversight that has long since been rectified.

Paul K. DIckman

Wait, I take that back.

A quick check of their card catalog, shows a 1771 Geneva edition in storage
and a 1751 Paris edition on the second floor

PKD

Abrasha wrote in message ...
"Paul K. Dickman" wrote:

When I was in college at SIU, it was on open shelf in the library.

You could check out a volume, take it home, spill beer on it and bring it
back.

Paul K. Dickman

Were those the originals from 1776? Most likely not.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old September 29th 04, 02:38 AM
Mike in Arkansas

Jack Schmidling wrote in message
. ..

but are too intimidated by the trolls to ask questions.
Doubtful.

Let's do a survey on that one. Come on lurkers, now's your chance to speak
out!

Well, since you ask. I'm mostly a lurker that posts infrequently for
a couple of reasons. First of all I was educated to look up things
for myself(course that was back in the dark ages, maybe they don't
teach that anymore). So I read first and only ask questions later
which is rarely necessary. The few times I have ask questions, I have
been answered by all in a curteous and helpful manner. If I were
responded to in a negative way I would likly ignore that reply, thank
the others and go on about my business. Time is too short to get into
egotistical ****ing contests over inconsequential matters. Reap the
wheat and let the chaff lay. Lots and lots of books available online
and a cursory reading of any of them would have told what binding wire
is. Get Oppi Untracht's books (old but inclusive) and others that
have already been recommended. For inspiration I like the newer how
to books with the glossy pictures. Also, for inspiration, look at
some of the work at www.guild.com. Some good wood examples there too.
Mike in Arkansas
Old September 29th 04, 02:56 AM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 18:38:11 -0700, in Tõ "Carol" wrote:

I guess I should be proud -- I'm now worthless in Abrasha's view.

"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..

Personally, I think Dali sucks. ::shrug:: just my humble (and probably

in
your view, worthless) opinion.

You said it. Utterly wothless indeed.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Now now. down girl.

he only said that your opinion of Dali was, in his view, worthless. He didn't
say YOU were.

Big difference.

Peter
Old September 29th 04, 07:37 AM
mbstevens

Abrasha wrote:

Jack Schmidling wrote:
=

"Abrasha"
=

Personally, I think Dali sucks. ::shrug:: just my humble (and prob=

ably
in
your view, worthless) opinion.

You said it. Utterly wothless indeed.

=

You are getting soft. A smiley?
=

What is one going to say to a person who says "Dali sucks"? One would ha=
ve to
drag in Da Da, the history of the Surrealist Movement, the skills of the =
craft
of painting as well as the skills and craft of jewelry making (he designe=
d a
remarkable collection of "jewelry"), and a host of other historical and a=
rt
related issues. =

All that art historical artillery helps us to understand Dali,
but are no guarantee of the quality of his work.

Arguments to skill of craft are not good enough either; perfectly made
pieces can be artistic disasters. You've heard it said of some artist "all
his talent is from the elbows down."

Questions about the *aesthetic* quality of a thing tend toward the
metaphysical, in that we don't seem to know how to prove them.
Nelson Goodman may have at least found a couple of symptoms of it:
A) is the thing being used as art, and B) is it interesting within
some system that is important to us. It doesn't get us very far.
--
mbstevens
http://www.mbstevens.com
Old September 29th 04, 07:37 AM
Jack Schmidling

"Abrasha"

That statement was indeed so utterly worthless, it could not possibly be =
taken serious....

Sort of like you claiming to be vomiting on your keyboard when you looked at
one of the pics I posted? And practically every response you ever made to
anything I had written?

js

Old September 29th 04, 07:37 AM
Abrasha

mbstevens wrote:

Jack Schmidling wrote:

"Abrasha"

Personally, I think Dali sucks. ::shrug:: just my humble (and probably

in
your view, worthless) opinion.

He was a magazine illustrator with bad dreams.
Surfing on the work of the surrealist writers like Duclasse.
Have to say I do like his jewelry a little bit, though.
Take a really bad dream and make it sparkly and shiny --
that's at least a little bit interesting.
--
mbstevens
http://www.mbstevens.com

Another opinion showing great insight in the work of Dali. What great
intellect. You must be a studied art historian.

Magazine illustrator? Where did you get that piece of rubbish information? Do
you even begin the know the breath of his work? Here is an "abbreviated"
biography. http://romaniankids.8k.com/photo.html

Do you even know his jewelry? It has nothing or very little to do with dreams.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com