sizing crochet/knitting thread?

Old May 8th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

Default sizing crochet/knitting thread?

Ok, I give up. I'm going all over the internet trying to find a site
that explains how thread is sized. I have a cute pattern for a sweater
vest for a doll that calls for a particular size, but when I went to
the store (without the directions, of course), I got home and
discovered I had bought the wrong # size. Now, I can't figure out if
the size listed is bigger or smaller than what I actually purchased.
Anybody know how thread/string sizing goes? Thanks!

Wendy

Old May 8th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

myswendy wrote:
Ok, I give up. I'm going all over the internet trying to find a site
that explains how thread is sized. I have a cute pattern for a sweater
vest for a doll that calls for a particular size, but when I went to
the store (without the directions, of course), I got home and
discovered I had bought the wrong # size. Now, I can't figure out if
the size listed is bigger or smaller than what I actually purchased.
Anybody know how thread/string sizing goes? Thanks!

Wendy

Size #10 is usually considered to be "bedspread cotton". It is also the
size of "Knit-Cro-Sheen". Size #5 is fatter, and is the size of
"Speed-Cro-Sheen". Size #20 is finer,and what I like to use for
pillowcase edging, size #30 is finer still. Size #50 is roughly the
thickness of sewing thread. "Tatting Cotton" is very fine, usually size
#80 or #100.

This is just off the top of my head, perhaps someone can give you a site
with official sizings.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

ebay: rayon crochet thread, punch needle yarns, Lot of Plastic Canvas mags, Lot of Crochet mags marilyn safier Marketplace 0 December 12th 05 05:17 PM
crochet thread MinnieNeedles Yarn 5 August 21st 05 02:31 AM
Crochet thread sweater Amy Yarn 3 March 26th 05 08:59 PM
Turquois #10 Crochet Thread Pat EAXStitch Needlework 0 August 3rd 04 11:28 AM
crochet with sewing thread Shel Yarn 8 June 24th 04 06:05 PM