OT very basic computer question

Old December 5th 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Default OT very basic computer question

When I learned to type (which truly wasn't in hieroglyphics) there was no 1
on the keyboard. (as in one) We simply used the L as in Luke.
This question probably is ridiculous to every fairly bright 3 year-old -
but is there a way to know which is which when trying to copy a number?
Last night I attempted many times to type in my license number for a
program I run and for the life of me couldn't get it right. There were ones
or ells, zeroes or ohhhhhs....???
In an attempt to understand, when I finally received the license number
via email from someone in Ballahowngawala, I pasted it over to my
WordPerfect and changed the font many times. In Garamond, I could see the
different in those characters. The problem with that program is resolved
but the challenge will come up again one day. How do you know which is
which? Polly

Old December 5th 08, 01:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
marigold[_2_]

1l 0O

OK you got me! I had to type them side by side just to see. And of course
you are right. I knew it but still had to actually look again.

We have this problem with our postal code up here T0M 0R0 . For those of us
that know the system we can figure that it is letter-number-letter
number-letter-number. When we are sending our address to someone outside
Canada we have started adding (The postal code has zero's not O's)
Apparently it makes a big difference to computers.

I also learned to type when the L was used as a l (one).

Sorry, no helpful suggestion.

Marilyn
in Alberta, Canada

(who is glad that we don't have to reach for the carriage return anymore!)

Old December 5th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rick[_3_]

On Dec 5, 8:33*am, "Polly Esther" wrote:
When I learned to type (which truly wasn't in hieroglyphics) there was no 1
on the keyboard. *(as in one) * We simply used the L as in Luke.
* * This question probably is ridiculous to every fairly bright 3 year-old -
but is there a way to know which is which when trying to copy a number?
* * Last night I attempted many times to type in my license number for a
program I run and for the life of me couldn't get it right. *There were ones
or ells, zeroes or ohhhhhs....???
* * In an attempt to understand, when I finally received the license number
via email from someone in Ballahowngawala, I pasted it over to my
WordPerfect and changed the font many times. *In Garamond, I could see the
different in those characters. *The problem with that program is resolved
but the challenge will come up again one day. *How do you know which is
which? * Polly

Polly,

If you can change the font to ALL CAPS, you may be able to determine
the difference between a 1 (one) and an L (the letter) a lot more
clearly. The opposite may be true of the number 0 (zero). If you
lower case for o's, you can see the difference fairly easily as well.

I hope that helps.

Rick Boesen
Olivet, Michigan
www.FiberArtFest.com
www.QuesoCabezaFarm.com
Old December 5th 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

When I learned to type (which truly wasn't in hieroglyphics) there was no 1
on the keyboard. (as in one) We simply used the L as in Luke.
This question probably is ridiculous to every fairly bright 3 year-old -
but is there a way to know which is which when trying to copy a number?
Last night I attempted many times to type in my license number for a
program I run and for the life of me couldn't get it right. There were ones
or ells, zeroes or ohhhhhs....???
In an attempt to understand, when I finally received the license number
via email from someone in Ballahowngawala, I pasted it over to my
WordPerfect and changed the font many times. In Garamond, I could see the
different in those characters.

You did the only sens1ble thing. The 0ther way to do !t would be to use
a hex dump utility.

1t was crazy f0r the fIrm issulng the 1icense number tO d0 1t that way.
WHY COULDN'T THEY MAKE ALL THE LETTERS UPPER CASE? (and leave out all
the ohs and zeroes).

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old December 5th 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Thankx for the Lol of the day

BUtteRFly

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
[...]

====
Jack Campin, 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland == mob 07800 739
557
CD-ROMs and free stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, and Mac logic
fonts

Old December 5th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Thank you B'fly for carrying Jack's message with your laugh. Jack isn't on
my block sender's list but still my computer thinks he's dangerous. It is
probably right. Polly

"Butterflywings" wrote Thankx for the Lol of the day

Old December 5th 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

When I learned to type (which truly wasn't in hieroglyphics) there was no 1
on the keyboard. (as in one) We simply used the L as in Luke.
This question probably is ridiculous to every fairly bright 3 year-old -
but is there a way to know which is which when trying to copy a number?
Last night I attempted many times to type in my license number for a
program I run and for the life of me couldn't get it right. There were ones
or ells, zeroes or ohhhhhs....???
In an attempt to understand, when I finally received the license number
via email from someone in Ballahowngawala, I pasted it over to my
WordPerfect and changed the font many times. In Garamond, I could see the
different in those characters. The problem with that program is resolved
but the challenge will come up again one day. How do you know which is
which? Polly

The difference between a lowercase L and the numeral 1 is very slight in
most cases; perhaps a phone call to the place that issued the number is
the only answer? As for letter O and numeral 0, usually the former is
much "rounder" than the latter. Sometimes it's just a guessing game.
l 1 0 O

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old December 5th 08, 06:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

0 or O, 1 or l, not to forget | could also be a one in some cases.
the | on my keyboard is on the righ above the enter key using the shift key
to get the upper thing on the key.
tis also a \ on that key.
after all the replys so far, i'm still wondering what was used for the other
numbers if there was no one on the keyboard. did you have other numbers?
i learned to type back in the early sixties (yes tis official i am now older
than dirt and feel it more days than not) and i dont recall not having a one
on the keyboard.
confuddled in the s0uth pacific,
j. : /

"Sandy"

Old December 5th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rick[_3_]

On Dec 5, 1:26*pm, "jeanne-nzlstar*" wrote:
[...]

sw.foster1 (at) gmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)http://www.sandymike.net

Sandy,

I remember learning to type on a manual Royal typewriter in the 80s.
It did not have a "one" and we had to use the lower-case L. The other
numbers were where they belong. We did not have an exclamation point
as it was an apostrophe with a period under it. Typing no paper made
for some great imagination.

Regards,

Rick Boesen
Olivet, Michigan
www.FiberArtFest.com
www.QuesoCabezaFarm.com
Old December 5th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

Jeanne,

Back in the days when there was no 1 and you used lower case L was when we
were typing on typewriters - not keyboards! Keyboards weren't even in the
vocabulary then except for the keyboard on my piano!!!!!

Donna in SW Idaho

Basic Dart Question hesira Sewing 2 April 17th 08 02:40 PM
Pretty Basic Question teleflora Quilting 4 November 18th 05 03:38 PM
Really basic question.... [email protected] Sewing 12 April 18th 05 12:13 AM
BASIC (?) question Michaela Yarn 6 July 22nd 04 04:09 PM
basic question just me Beads 43 February 5th 04 02:17 AM