Focus on Design: Churn Dash

Old July 24th 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Focus on Design: Churn Dash

Hello! Every once in blue moon, I post a Focus on
Design thread. The purpose is to encourage conversation
about quilt top patterns. This is not the place to talk
about the QI, nor chocolate, nor the relatives, nor
weather; it is okay to mention those once in a while,
but THIS thread is about Designing Quilt Tops!

The weather outside is frightful ... so let's take our
minds off that and FOCUS on DESIGN! This time our topic
is the traditional and simple Churn Dash Block. The
links following all come from Marcia Hahn's Quilters
Cache. (Thanks Marcia!!) The first link shows the basic
block pattern:

http://www.quilterscache.com/C/ChurnDashBlock.html

Here is one in shades of red on white:
http://www.quilterscache.com/images1...dchurndash.jpg

This churn dash block has what I most enjoy, a special
(or fussy cut) fabric in the center:
http://www.quilterscache.com/images9/stacyschurn.jpg

To see a wide variety of color and placement, check out
the BOM entries:
http://www.quilterscache.com/BomLott...otto_Sept.html

A scrappy design, with a floral background as the
unifying factor:
http://www.quilterscache.com/images14/martinaschurn.jpg

Churn dash quilt with the blocks surrounding photographs:
http://www.quilterscache.com/images9/bridgetsCD.jpg

What do you like? What is your experience with Churn
Dash Blocks and Quilts?

PAT, Focusing on Design in Virginia
Old July 24th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

As it happens I am just putting the last bits of quilting into a mini
which includes Churn Dash. So, I can reassure everyone that it is
possible to make 1" Churn Dash blocks gg
I have six blocks in greens, pinks and purples. The fabrics are mostly
tone on tone, but there are a couple of tiny-scale prints.
..
In message , Pat in Virginia
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 24th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

This is one block that, to me, looks much different when set on point.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old July 24th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Here is one of those. second one down:
http://members.aol.com/sagekm/pcd.htm

I think if I had to pick one layout for a quilt
on point would be my favorite.

Thanks for the distraction Pat.
It is a great classic block.
Brackma lists 20 alternate names for it! (1646a is the #)
That tells you just how popular it is. I like the
link with the floral background and the narrow sashes
Not sure about the floral but the narrow sash is a look
that I like. I did a small wall hanging with 4 churn dash
blocks that would have been perfect with that narrow sash. I
just have 4 blocks, no sash. The secondary design just not
so hot. (it was a while ago but what was I thinking?)
Live and learn I guess.
Taria

Old July 24th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Thanks for the pictures. Yes, for some reason that block changes from
rather clunky to neat design when on point. JMHO

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old July 24th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Pictures! Pictures!!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Patti" wrote in message
As it happens I am just putting the last bits of quilting into a mini
which includes Churn Dash. So, I can reassure everyone that it is
possible to make 1" Churn Dash blocks gg
I have six blocks in greens, pinks and purples. The fabrics are mostly
tone on tone, but there are a couple of tiny-scale prints.
.
In message , Pat in Virginia
writes

Old July 24th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie NJ

That's a block that I have always liked and have used many times.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old July 24th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 16:16:05 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

[...]

I once made 10 orange/black Churn Dash blocks and 10 orange/black
Shoo Fly blocks for a swap. I can't remember if I made them on the
99K handcrank machine, or if I had gone "electric" - I received my
electric machine as a present in late 2001/early 2002 I believe.
Anyway, I wasn't very good at the whole "quarter inch" seam business,
and they were returned to me. However, since they are all uniformly
too small, I thought I would put them together for a "Halloween"
quilt... you know, add some more black and a few stars or pumpkins and
voila! Autumn quilt.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old July 25th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

What do you like? What is your experience with Churn
Dash Blocks and Quilts?

Gosh, Pat, it occurs to me that I've never made a Churn Dash quilt! Will
I be drummed out of the ranks of quilters for neglecting such a
traditional block? Seriously, though, I do like the block -- I
especially like it with something in the middle, like the photos in that
quilt you linked us to.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old July 25th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Patti wrote:

As it happens I am just putting the last bits of quilting into a mini
which includes Churn Dash. So, I can reassure everyone that it is
possible to make 1" Churn Dash blocks gg
I have six blocks in greens, pinks and purples. The fabrics are mostly
tone on tone, but there are a couple of tiny-scale prints.
.

Why am I not surprised, Pat, that you made them 1" in size? VBG You do
such wonderful things!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
http://www.sandymike.net

Focus on Design: Attic Windows Pat in Virginia Quilting 39 April 18th 07 03:20 AM
Focus on Design: Storm at Sea Pat in Virginia Quilting 64 September 29th 06 03:43 PM
Churn Dash Question Patti Quilting 30 November 3rd 05 08:27 PM
Edna's Churn Dash: possible nickel project? Nann Hilyard Quilting 6 October 27th 05 12:27 PM
Focus on Design: Jacob's Ladder Pat in Virginia Quilting 29 September 30th 05 06:56 AM