Would like your advice/ideas

Old December 15th 05, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default FUDGE????? LOL

A tip for all, read the labels on food stuffs, if it states more than 2
or 3% sugar you leave it on the shelf.

Cereals often contain a lot of hidden sugar.
You should only eat new boiled potatoes. Then only 3 small ones.
Avoid all processed foods.
Eat whole grains and wholemeal bread.
Imagine your dinner plate in quarters, one quarter should be protein
lean meat or fish. The second quarter should be potatoes or other carbs.
The remaining half should be green vegetables.
It worked for me and my Dh who lost 14lbs.
Shirley

In message , MRH
writes
"Shirley Shone" wrote in message
I am on the tablets too. I occasionally have a square of dark chocolate.
This time of the year is trying with Christmas parties and all the sweet
food going round, cakes, mince pies etc..
My diabetic nurse said that since I keep it well under control it would
not hurt to splash out once in a while with a piece of cake.

Well, that's good then. So you can enjoy *some* of the Christmas treats.
)

I am fortunate that I have my own personal nutritionist. My Grand daughter
who graduated last month with 2.1 BSc (Hons) Ass. R.P.H Nutritionist
degree. She is now a Public Health Nutritionist.

Wow, that is wonderful.

When I started with diabetes 18 months ago I thought that on top of my
heart probs. It was the end of my world.
Sarah came and gave me a pep talk. She said now Grandma we Shone's do not
let these things get us down and we will beat it together.

She sounds like a definite keeper! )

She made me keep a record of everything I ate and drank for two weeks
along with any exercise . Very little in my case or I get angina.
She analysed them and came up with a diet sheet. She also said I was not
eating enough anyway that my body thought I had gone into starvation mode
so was storing everything I ate into fat. I was encouraged to eat between
meals if only a couple of nuts.

Hmmm... this is likely why I can't lose weight. I eat one main meal a
day... occasionally two. I eat much less than my son, and he is thin, and I
am.... not thin! ;o)

Well I lost 32 lbs in 12 months and I have stayed there. Also it eased my
angina with not having to carry all those pounds around with me.
Shirley

Wow, that's excellent! I'm going to give it a try (even though I'm not
diabetic) and see if I can lose a few pounds too! I find that if I go up or
down the stairs (Yes, I know people... I shouldn't do that, especially when
Matthew isn't home! By the way, I almost fell over the stairs this morning.
I went up to get the wrapping paper down to wrap Matthew's gifts while he is
away, and the box was too heavy for me to carry, so I was going down the
stairs backwards pulling the box down each step. I got near the bottom
where the stairs curve and parts of the steps are narrower, and felt myself
starting to tip over backwards, so I reached out behind me and put my hand
on the wall to stop myself from falling. Good thing I was close enough to
the wall, otherwise I would definitely have fallen... with no one here to
help me. / ) I have been getting out of breath a lot... since I don't
exercise much during winter. I can't go walking... I slip and fall too
easily. In the summer, I was in the pool everyday doing water exercises and
I found that I wasn't getting out of breath at all then. I also noticed
that I'm beginning to wheeze again this winter, along with that croupy
cough.... last winter was the first time either of those things happened to
me and the doctor said I had bronchitis then... I think it *might* have
something to do with the extra weight and less exercise during the winter
months.

I remember one year I lost about 5 lbs a month, not even trying... and after
thinking about it, I came to the conclusion that I had been eating an apple
everyday during that time, that I hadn't normally done. So, I have a huge
bag of apples in my fridge now.... I'm going to start trying that again and
see if I can manage to lose some weight again. Thank you for sparking that
thought, Shirley! )

Gemini

--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.demon.co.uk
Old December 15th 05, 07:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Would like your advice.. still OT-Polish food

Cher, my mother and aunts ALL made Stollen!
(they're all first generation American Poles)
Noreen
remembering....

mem or ies, like the corners of my mind.... misty water coloured mem or
ies...
of the way we were!

--
If Moses had been a woman, she'd have stopped and asked for directions, and
the people would've gotten to the promised land in under a week!

President Mackenzie Allen, ABC's Commander in Chief
"spinninglilac" wrote in message
. uk...
Stollen, anyone make that on here? I make it for d/m/i/l, after I've
marzipaned the xmas cake I make the dough for the Stollen and it is put to
rise whilst I do the cake, then when the cake is done I have left over
almond paste/marzipan to roll into the stollen..

cheers....cher

Old December 15th 05, 10:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
MRH mthecarpenterATxcelcoDOTonDOTca wrote:

I went up to get the wrapping paper down to wrap Matthew's gifts while he is
away, and the box was too heavy for me to carry, so I was going down the
stairs backwards pulling the box down each step.

Next time just pick out the paper you want and take that down stairs
instead of the whole box.

=Tamar
Old December 15th 05, 10:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Well that would have been too easy, and I would have to make frequent trips
upstairs to get more. You're right, though, I wasn't thinking and decided
that I wanted it all downstairs beside me so I could sit leisurely and pick
out what I wanted when I looked at the size of the gifts. Of course it
wouldn't have done me any good at all if I had fallen over the stairs with
no one here to help me. My Mom always said I was very stubborn about
things... guess she's right. ;o)

Gemini

Old December 15th 05, 11:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

MRH wrote:
( Do you like the sugarless foods and drinks? My sister wasn't crazy
about them at first, but now she's used to them and says there's not much
difference in the taste of them and things with real sugar in them. I
personally can't stand the stuff... I can get a definite aftertaste.

Gem

Gem,

I don't notice the taste in sugar free any more. I worry more about the
fat content. Almost all is way over 50% fat, a lot at 80% or more.
After a triple bypass that worries me more.

I am sure you and Nora will be fine!

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old December 15th 05, 11:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I thought I had answered this message, but I don't see it anywhere! Anyway,
thank you for posting this, Shirley. It look easy enough to follow. No
measuring or weighing your food, just quartering your plate... that is such
a neat way of doing it. Thank you very much for sharing this! I have it
saved now! )

Gem

Old December 15th 05, 11:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Me? I don't have diabetes... my oldest sister does. I have Fibromyalgia!
I eat and drink anything I want. Well... I do have to be careful of some
things now. I am finding that some things I used to love (green peppers for
instance, which I used to PILE HIGH on pizza, and Subs) my stomach won't
tolerate anymore. I had to actually stop eating green peppers completely
for a while, but I gradually reintroduced them back into my diet... at a
much less amount.

Ah well... such is life! ;o)

Gem

Old December 16th 05, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

You ladies make me Drool,,,, i began liking marzipan when i became 40
----it isn`t so hehealthy anymore ,,,oooooph
My step father used to bake a cake with the Marzipan , he made from
Almonds, baked somehow inside ,,,
mirjam