Would like your advice/ideas

Old December 15th 05, 03:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default FUDGE????? LOL

) That is good to hear, Nora!

Gem

"norabalcer" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Gem,

I know what your sister is going through, DH and I are both type 2 and
once a month we cheat and have a little dessert when we go out. That's
the only time we do and so far our tests have been great.

Hugs,

Nora

Old December 15th 05, 04:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

norabalcer wrote:
Hi Gem,

I know what your sister is going through, DH and I are both type 2 and
once a month we cheat and have a little dessert when we go out. That's
the only time we do and so far our tests have been great.

Hugs,

Nora

Hi Gem & Nora,

I am a type 2 also. It does make the holidays a little harder.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old December 15th 05, 04:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

( Do you like the sugarless foods and drinks? My sister wasn't crazy
about them at first, but now she's used to them and says there's not much
difference in the taste of them and things with real sugar in them. I
personally can't stand the stuff... I can get a definite aftertaste.

Gem

Old December 15th 05, 06:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I am on the tablets too. I occasionally have a square of dark chocolate.
This time of the year is trying with Christmas parties and all the sweet
food going round, cakes, mince pies etc..
My diabetic nurse said that since I keep it well under control it would
not hurt to splash out once in a while with a piece of cake.

I am fortunate that I have my own personal nutritionist. My Grand
daughter who graduated last month with 2.1 BSc (Hons) Ass. R.P.H
Nutritionist degree. She is now a Public Health Nutritionist.

When I started with diabetes 18 months ago I thought that on top of my
heart probs. It was the end of my world.
Sarah came and gave me a pep talk. She said now Grandma we Shone's do
not let these things get us down and we will beat it together.
She made me keep a record of everything I ate and drank for two weeks
along with any exercise . Very little in my case or I get angina.
She analysed them and came up with a diet sheet. She also said I was not
eating enough anyway that my body thought I had gone into starvation
mode so was storing everything I ate into fat. I was encouraged to eat
between meals if only a couple of nuts.
Well I lost 32 lbs in 12 months and I have stayed there. Also it eased
my angina with not having to carry all those pounds around with me.
Shirley

In message , MRH
writes
( That's a shame that you have to leave favorite things behind, isn't
it? My sister is also diabetic (regulated with pills though, not at the
needle stage) and once in a while she will eat something she shouldn't...
but for the most part she says she misses some of the things she had to
leave behind.

Gemini

"Shirley Shone" wrote in message
It will probably be what we call Nestle's condensed milk.
I use to love it spread on bread and butter. Now a very no.no being a
diabetic.
Shirley

In message , DA
writes

English Toffee

2 C brown sugar 1 1/3 C Eagle Brand
3 Tbsp corn syrup 1 Tbsp butter
1/8 tsp salt 1 tsp vanilla

Cook to hard ball. Spread in buttered pan.

Sorry - I was using a different font on my word processor and did not
proof read this recipe.

BTW, what is the UK or anyone else's equivalent to Eagle Brand? Is that
a world wide brand or just for US? I hate to be so unknowing, but have
only ever lived here and have grown up with that as a sweetened
evaporated milk product.

Susan C

Carnation sounds familiar as a brand for evaporated milk; not that we
buy
it anymo too sweet
Love & higs
Christine

Eagle Brand is condensed milk, not evaporated.
DA

--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.demon.co.uk

Old December 15th 05, 08:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Would like your advice.. still OT-Polish food

Stollen, anyone make that on here? I make it for d/m/i/l, after I've
marzipaned the xmas cake I make the dough for the Stollen and it is put to
rise whilst I do the cake, then when the cake is done I have left over
almond paste/marzipan to roll into the stollen..

cheers....cher

Old December 15th 05, 12:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"MRH" mthecarpenterATxcelcoDOTonDOTca wrote in message
Eagle Brand actually says on the can that it is Sweetened Condensed Milk,
not evaporated (which is very loose and often used in tea or coffee). The
Eagle Brand is often used for making candy or bar type of desserts, and my
Mom used to occasionally spread it on bread as a treat. Of course she
had a MAJOR sweet tooth. ;o)

Here are a few websites that give recipes for using the Sweetened
Condensed Milk (not evaporated). Enjoy! )

Gemini

The sweetened condensed milk is good in coffee for a treat as well!

LauraJ

Old December 15th 05, 02:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

That is great, Shirley! They say that diabetes and heart disease are
related. I know since both of my parents are diabetic. My father had been
on pills until his heart by-pass surgery over 10 years ago, when he went on
injections. We think that my mother's diabetes is weight related and have
been after her for years to take off the extra weight. (I know - Easier
said than done!) She also has high blood pressure and might have had a
silent heart attack at some point. She has lost a few pounds recently
watching what she has been eating. Since her sugar has been behaving so
well, the doctor cut back how many pills she has to take per day.

Janise

Old December 15th 05, 04:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Shirley Shone" wrote in message
I am on the tablets too. I occasionally have a square of dark chocolate.
This time of the year is trying with Christmas parties and all the sweet
food going round, cakes, mince pies etc..
My diabetic nurse said that since I keep it well under control it would
not hurt to splash out once in a while with a piece of cake.

Well, that's good then. So you can enjoy *some* of the Christmas treats.
)

I am fortunate that I have my own personal nutritionist. My Grand daughter
who graduated last month with 2.1 BSc (Hons) Ass. R.P.H Nutritionist
degree. She is now a Public Health Nutritionist.

Wow, that is wonderful.

When I started with diabetes 18 months ago I thought that on top of my
heart probs. It was the end of my world.
Sarah came and gave me a pep talk. She said now Grandma we Shone's do not
let these things get us down and we will beat it together.

She sounds like a definite keeper! )

She made me keep a record of everything I ate and drank for two weeks
along with any exercise . Very little in my case or I get angina.
She analysed them and came up with a diet sheet. She also said I was not
eating enough anyway that my body thought I had gone into starvation mode
so was storing everything I ate into fat. I was encouraged to eat between
meals if only a couple of nuts.

Hmmm... this is likely why I can't lose weight. I eat one main meal a
day... occasionally two. I eat much less than my son, and he is thin, and I
am.... not thin! ;o)

Well I lost 32 lbs in 12 months and I have stayed there. Also it eased my
angina with not having to carry all those pounds around with me.
Shirley

Wow, that's excellent! I'm going to give it a try (even though I'm not
diabetic) and see if I can lose a few pounds too! I find that if I go up or
down the stairs (Yes, I know people... I shouldn't do that, especially when
Matthew isn't home! By the way, I almost fell over the stairs this morning.
I went up to get the wrapping paper down to wrap Matthew's gifts while he is
away, and the box was too heavy for me to carry, so I was going down the
stairs backwards pulling the box down each step. I got near the bottom
where the stairs curve and parts of the steps are narrower, and felt myself
starting to tip over backwards, so I reached out behind me and put my hand
on the wall to stop myself from falling. Good thing I was close enough to
the wall, otherwise I would definitely have fallen... with no one here to
help me. / ) I have been getting out of breath a lot... since I don't
exercise much during winter. I can't go walking... I slip and fall too
easily. In the summer, I was in the pool everyday doing water exercises and
I found that I wasn't getting out of breath at all then. I also noticed
that I'm beginning to wheeze again this winter, along with that croupy
cough.... last winter was the first time either of those things happened to
me and the doctor said I had bronchitis then... I think it *might* have
something to do with the extra weight and less exercise during the winter
months.

I remember one year I lost about 5 lbs a month, not even trying... and after
thinking about it, I came to the conclusion that I had been eating an apple
everyday during that time, that I hadn't normally done. So, I have a huge
bag of apples in my fridge now.... I'm going to start trying that again and
see if I can manage to lose some weight again. Thank you for sparking that
thought, Shirley! )

Gemini