ferric chloride

Old August 14th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Red Deer

Default ferric chloride

Hi All,
Speaking of raku, does anyone know where ferric chloride can be
obtained? I'm getting ready to get my own raku kiln and I like the
brown highlights spraying ferric chloride on horse hair pots gives. I
looked in all my pottery supply catalogues and can't find it. I was
rakuing at friends and hers was bought at Radio Shack. I called them
and they have stopped selling it. I know it has to be handled very
carefully but I need some for the results I am seeking. Or is there a
substitute chemical I can use? I live in the northern Shenandoah
Valley area of Virginia, USA.
Thank you for any information,
Sandi

Old August 14th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Dewitt

Radio Shack used to sell it as "PCB" or "PC Board" etching solution.
Perhaps the person you talked with didn't recognize it by the name
ferric chloride. You can find ferric chloride etching solution on the
web. Here's one source - http://tinyurl.com/lqsyn

deg

Old August 14th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
David Coggins

Hi Sandi,

That's right - ferric chloride is no longer used to etch printed circuit
boards - they now supply ammonium persulphate, which is of no use for your
purpose.

Wouldn't ferric oxide do the same thing? Whether it's the oxide or chloride,
the iron should still give the effect.

Dave

ps.com...

Old August 15th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Red Deer

Thank you all for the information on ferric chloride. Deg, thank's for
that website. I ordered a bottle of it from there.
Sandi
Leonard wrote:
Believe it or not. Try this......

http://cgi.ebay.com/FERRIC-CHLORIDE-...QQcmdZViewItem

FYI. I have not connection with this.

wrote:

Hi All,
Speaking of raku, does anyone know where ferric chloride can be
obtained? I'm getting ready to get my own raku kiln and I like the
brown highlights spraying ferric chloride on horse hair pots gives. I
looked in all my pottery supply catalogues and can't find it. I was
rakuing at friends and hers was bought at Radio Shack. I called them
and they have stopped selling it. I know it has to be handled very
carefully but I need some for the results I am seeking. Or is there a
substitute chemical I can use? I live in the northern Shenandoah
Valley area of Virginia, USA.
Thank you for any information,
Sandi

ammonium chloride (sal ammoniac) [email protected] Glass 12 November 29th 13 03:53 PM
Ammonium chloride (alias "sal ammoniac") Neil Marsh Jewelry 7 July 2nd 12 05:40 PM
Acid Etching Charlie Jewelry 4 December 18th 04 05:11 PM
aqua regia--extract gold from? ilaboo Jewelry 4 November 6th 03 11:04 AM