Milling as a process

Old July 2nd 05, 02:20 AM
Michael

Default Milling as a process

Does anyone here make use of a minature CNC machine to mill jewellery
pieces.

I have been investigating this and have found the "Roland JWX-10" product
which is designed to mill non-metal objects (like wax) for castings.

Any personal experiences?

Thanks
Michael

Old July 4th 05, 10:06 PM
Andrew Werby

"Michael" wrote in message
Does anyone here make use of a minature CNC machine to mill jewellery
pieces.

[Yes, I've mostly used Taigs and MaxNC mills for this. The Taigs are better,
in my opinion, but this mostly becomes evident when milling harder materials
than wax.]

I have been investigating this and have found the "Roland JWX-10" product
which is designed to mill non-metal objects (like wax) for castings.

Any personal experiences?

Thanks
Michael

[That just came out a couple of months ago, and I haven't tried it myself
yet, but I've heard a lot of good things about it (mostly from Roland). It
does seem quite capable of doing most jewelry projects, since it comes with
a rotary 4th-axis jig for doing rings, etc. and a high-speed (20k rpm)
spindle. All the software you need to take a part design (once you've got a
STL file) to completion is included. Roland has made an attempt to simplify
the process of toolpath coding to the level of a desktop print job, so it's
good for people without a background in machining. It's similar to the
Modela Player software that comes with their MDX-15 and 20 scanner/mills,
(which I have tried), with the addition of 4th-axis functionality.]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

the process - the text Peggy Beads 5 January 9th 05 07:11 AM
Polite notification of Ebay auction - Porcelain milling jar going cheap! Creeper Pottery 0 October 5th 04 10:44 AM
hot process soap making Mary Sutanto General Crafting 1 August 29th 04 05:08 PM
Erasing/patching a stairwell - photos of the process Cathy Weeks Doll Houses 4 April 15th 04 04:50 PM
Stamp Process Info - was: Is this list always quiet? Graphics Rubberstamps 0 March 18th 04 08:18 PM