transferring multi-size patterns

Old July 15th 04, 09:01 PM
valerie soe

Default transferring multi-size patterns

I just got one of those mutiple-size patterns & I want to use more
than one size from it. What's a good way to transfer the separate
sizes so I can do this?

v.
Old July 15th 04, 09:39 PM
Valkyrie

"valerie soe" wrote in message
m...
I just got one of those mutiple-size patterns & I want to use more
than one size from it. What's a good way to transfer the separate
sizes so I can do this?

v.

I use my sliding glass door. Tape the pattern up on the door, tape whatever
you will use to draw/transfer on over the top and trace away. This works
well at night too, I just put my floor lamp outside and it puts out plenty
of light to show through. Glass doors make great light tables!

Val

Old July 15th 04, 11:01 PM
Kate Dicey

valerie soe wrote:

I just got one of those mutiple-size patterns & I want to use more
than one size from it. What's a good way to transfer the separate
sizes so I can do this?

v.

I just trace off the sizes I want to use!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old July 16th 04, 12:38 AM
Arri London

valerie soe wrote:

I just got one of those mutiple-size patterns & I want to use more
than one size from it. What's a good way to transfer the separate
sizes so I can do this?

v.

Delurking again.
Trace each size onto brown paper using a felt tip pen, which penetrates
the tissue. Then reinforce the lines on the brown paper.
Otherwise start with the largest size and cut around that. Then cut the
next smallest size etc. Second method doesn't always work well for
patterns with a lot of construction because of the way they are
draughted; some lines may intersect, but if you have the experience you
can reconstruct them.
Old July 16th 04, 05:46 AM
valerie soe

Sorry to be so dense--what do you transfer the patterns onto? I'd like
something fairly sturdy for reuse but don't have a lot of storage
space, so foldable would be good, too.

v.

Old July 16th 04, 06:50 AM
BEIDesign

valerie soe wrote:
Sorry to be so dense--what do you transfer the patterns onto? I'd
like
something fairly sturdy for reuse but don't have a lot of storage
space, so foldable would be good, too.

Sewable Swedish Paper:
http://www.birchstreetclothing.com/notions2.html

or Pro Art Tracing Paper:
http://www.misterart.com/store/view/...aper-Rolls.htm

Or, some folks ask their doctor for a roll of exam table paper. I
have also used sheets of plain white tissue paper in a pinch.

NAYY, HTH,

--
Beverly
---to reply, delete no spam and .invalid---

Old July 16th 04, 07:05 AM
Valkyrie

"BEIDesign" wrote in message
valerie soe wrote:
Sorry to be so dense--what do you transfer the patterns onto?

Sewable Swedish Paper:
http://www.birchstreetclothing.com/notions2.html

I ordered the above product several years ago and just LOVE the stuff. I
trace (using my sliding door light table method) off the size I want and
then fold them into 8 x 10 manila mailer envelopes, put a scanned picture of
the pattern cover on it and the size it is. That Swedish paper is great
because you can alter and pin right on the pattern without it ripping or
tearing, it's sort go the feel of interfacing. MAHHHHHHH-VAH-LUSS stuff.

That company ships quick too.......this recommendation comes from the fact
that I have dealt with them for several years as a consumer, I don't work
there.

Val

Old July 16th 04, 08:18 AM
Kate Dicey

Kate Dicey wrote in message ...

valerie soe wrote:

I just got one of those mutiple-size patterns & I want to use more
than one size from it. What's a good way to transfer the separate
sizes so I can do this?

v.

I just trace off the sizes I want to use!

I usually use dot & cross papaer - the stuff fashion students and
designers here use for pattern making. It has alternate dots and
crosses in a 1" grid.

For little pattern pieces I'll use often, I use freezer paper, as it's
nice and tough.

Tissue paper is fine for pieces and patterns you will only use a couple
of times.

There's a non woven Vilene/Pelon type product for tracing patterns onto,
which is wonderful if you think you'll use the pattern a lot. If you
use this, make all the adjustments first, as it's expensive compared to
dot and cross (I bought a 200m roll for £22 a few years back. There's
plenty left...

Old July 16th 04, 03:26 PM
Emily

One day, I was at the doctor's office and mentioned needing to transfer some
patterns; one of the nurses gave me a roll of the paper used on examining
tables, it's 18 inches wide and is great. Other people have asked and been
given some by their doctor's staff as well.
www.nancy'snotions has some good paper for sale, check the web site. I am
not affiliated with her business except I have been a happy customer for
many years.
Many sewing stores sell a form of cloth/paper that is also good. The one I
found at a Pfaff dealer can be sewn and lasts a long time.
Emily

Old July 16th 04, 03:37 PM
Arri London

valerie soe wrote:

Sorry to be so dense--what do you transfer the patterns onto? I'd like
something fairly sturdy for reuse but don't have a lot of storage
space, so foldable would be good, too.

v.

Mostly I use heavy brown parcel paper or else contractor's paper, both
of which come in rolls. They are cheap, quite sturdy, lie flat and are
easily markable.

The patterns I use most are hung unfolded on skirt/trouser hangers (with
clips) and stuck in the back of the closet. Patterns I use less
frequently are folded and put into manila envelopes with a picture of
the finished garment on it, plus all the usual size info, amount of
fabric needed etc.