Taking the Wild Ginger plunge

Old September 29th 03, 09:12 PM
duh who

Default Taking the Wild Ginger plunge

I don't remember who recommended this software, but I"m going to give it a
try, even though I can't really afford it right now. I'm just so frustrated
trying to find some interesting patterns for men's clothes.

I'm going to start out with a mandarin style jacket, thin-ribbed black
corduroy, with grey corduroy cuffs and maybe collar. Might just do it with
all black corduroy.

Or maybe black microsuede. Or a combination.

And I'm certain of it.

I'll probably go with the frog fasteners rather than buttons. Maybe try to
find some large black or brown beads to use as the "frogs".

Anyone ever tried putting frog fasteners on a button down design, where the
two sides overlap? I want to make sure I've got some wind protection,
rather than doing the open line down the front.

Am I making any sense?

Dwight

Old September 29th 03, 10:01 PM
TerriLee in WA

Frog fasteners will work on an overlapped jacket front. I owned one
once (ready-to-wear, I didn't make it), and it was fine.

[trimmed with sharp shears]

--
TerriLee Bishop in WA (USA)
(opinions are wholly owned by the author and don't represent anything)
Old September 29th 03, 10:05 PM
Valkyrie

When you put the frog fasteners on........first lay the shirt/jacket face
up. pin the fronts overlapping as they would be with buttons, then mark the
front center, like where the button holes would be, when you put the frogs
on put the knob, button part. in the center. I always laid mine down when
they were joined so that the sides would also be even all the way down. I
used to baste but now I use that double sided water-soluble basting tape for
all this sort of thing. If you want more 'wind protection" you could conceal
snaps under the placket, between each frog.

One important thing to remember when you do your measurements for your WG
program. Have somebody else measure you. Any twisting, turning, reaching and
bending you do to measure yourself will throw things out of wack and not be
accurate.

Val

P.S. black fabric (wool, corduroy, suede, etc) When I was in going into
high school and was begging for a black wool 'straight skirt' my grandma
told me that black picks up everything but money and men......... or to be
more currently P.C.....everything but money and the gender of your choice.

Old September 29th 03, 10:38 PM

duh who wrote:
I don't remember who recommended this software, but I"m going to give it a
try, even though I can't really afford it right now. I'm just so frustrated
trying to find some interesting patterns for men's clothes.

Honest, you won't be sorry. And there's a user group up by where you
live, too, not to mention the excellent mailing list for support,
inspiration, and encouragement.

I'm going to start out with a mandarin style jacket, thin-ribbed black
corduroy, with grey corduroy cuffs and maybe collar. Might just do it with
all black corduroy.

Or maybe black microsuede. Or a combination.

And I'm certain of it.

Sounds wonderful.

Anyone ever tried putting frog fasteners on a button down design, where the
two sides overlap? I want to make sure I've got some wind protection,
rather than doing the open line down the front.

I had a coat that had toggle closures exactly like you are speaking of,
and your idea will work.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Old September 29th 03, 10:56 PM
Trishty

duh who wrote:
I'll probably go with the frog fasteners rather than buttons. snip

You could overlap, but the normal design has a placket that runs down the
front and fills in the gap - because the jacket is close-fitting, simply
wearing it holds the placket in place.

You might want to put pop-studs inbetween your frogs - they look great but
they don't do a good job of actually holding a jacket closed IMHO.

You could use interesting buttons rather than beads, but if you fancy
beads, check out:
www.whimsco.com,
http://beadmerchant.com,
www.beadroom.com,
www.auntiesbeads.com,
www.yorkbeads.com and
www.mainstonline.com

You can also make your own frogs out of rouleau if you fancy it.

Trish
Old September 29th 03, 11:58 PM
duh who

You could overlap, but the normal design has a placket that runs down the
front and fills in the gap - because the jacket is close-fitting, simply
wearing it holds the placket in place.

Don't know if the WG software will automatically do that placket, and I'm
not sure how that would be configured for this particular situation.

You might want to put pop-studs inbetween your frogs - they look great but
they don't do a good job of actually holding a jacket closed IMHO.

I'll have to look those up and see what they look like.

You could use interesting buttons rather than beads, but if you fancy
beads, check out:
www.whimsco.com,
http://beadmerchant.com,
www.beadroom.com,
www.auntiesbeads.com,
www.yorkbeads.com and
www.mainstonline.com

You can also make your own frogs out of rouleau if you fancy it.

I might try coins instead.

Old September 30th 03, 02:49 AM
SewStorm

I'm going to start out with a mandarin style jacket, thin-ribbed black
corduroy, with grey corduroy cuffs and maybe collar. Might just do it with
all black corduroy.

Or maybe black microsuede. Or a combination.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to start by making a muslin of whatever
you're making first. Not necessarily made of muslin, but of something
relatively inexpensive, that you're not worried about wasting.

Or, if you have inexhaustible supplies of disposable income, use whatever you
like. But I speak from experience here, sadly, and certainly wish I'd made my
first pants out of something besides the lovely sueded microfiber I'd been
hoarding.
Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old September 30th 03, 02:51 AM
SewStorm

my grandma
told me that black picks up everything but money and men......

Val, that's a paraphrase of what our parish priest once told my mother. He wore
a black cassock, and when she pointed out a long hair on his shoulder, picked
up when he was sitting on one of our chairs (and it was probably my hair), he
said "Black, it picks up everything but women and money". My mother was
scandalized!!

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old September 30th 03, 03:49 AM
duh who

"SewStorm" wrote in message
I'm going to start out with a mandarin style jacket, thin-ribbed black
corduroy, with grey corduroy cuffs and maybe collar. Might just do it

with
all black corduroy.

Or maybe black microsuede. Or a combination.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to start by making a muslin of whatever
you're making first. Not necessarily made of muslin, but of something
relatively inexpensive, that you're not worried about wasting.

Or, if you have inexhaustible supplies of disposable income, use whatever

you
like. But I speak from experience here, sadly, and certainly wish I'd made

my
first pants out of something besides the lovely sueded microfiber I'd been
hoarding.

Actually, I've got some microsuede that cost about $3/yd that I might try.
That's in line for the first version.

Old September 30th 03, 10:17 PM

duh who wrote:
"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...

duh who wrote:

I don't remember who recommended this software, but I"m going to give it

try, even though I can't really afford it right now. I'm just so

frustrated
trying to find some interesting patterns for men's clothes.

Honest, you won't be sorry. And there's a user group up by where you
live, too, not to mention the excellent mailing list for support,
inspiration, and encouragement.

How did this end up on alt.sewing? It was originally posted on the other
list.

Because I did "reply to sender only" via keystrokes (Alt-M, R) instead
of "reply to newsgroup" (Alt-M, Y) as I do rather frequently and had to
manually edit the newsgroup name, and I forgot which one I was on (and
alt.sewing is lots busier than RCTS.)