gift quilt?

Old November 14th 04, 03:58 PM
theys

Default gift quilt?

Hi y'all, Lurker here, but really enjoy the chats, just work full-time
and don't have much time to post. Question, I have a DS that just
married in Oct. I made them a twin size heart quilt from Still
Stripping after 25 years. Made it with one Featherweight, then gave
the FW with the quilt as a gift. Now his brother is getting married
next June and I'd like to do the same for him, but the surprise is
gone cause they were both at the wedding. Now, this son and fiance
are coming for Thanksgiving and I'd like to give her a little choice
in the pattern and/or colors. I hope to take her to a LQS on
Saturday. Where do I start??? She is very nice and quiet and is
hard to pin down on decisions. I still want some control but don't
want to seem pushy or picky. I'm not an expert quilter and do all MQ,
but I still am pretty handy with a machine. Don't like hand applique
and told her that. I'd really like to try one of Ricky Tim's
Convergence quilts. I'd like to do something that she likes but its
hard to find out what that is?? I don't want to make a quilt that
will set hiding in a closet. Mine are defintely users. Any help will
be appreciated. BTW, she is a no-frills, very plain and simple gal.
Hardly wears any make-up and lives in solid colored polos and slacks.
I know this may have no bearing on her tastes in quilts, just may help
you with a place to start??? Thanks to all Kathy

Old November 14th 04, 04:25 PM
Julia Altshuler

In this situation, I'm incredibly direct. I tell the giftee that I'd
like to make her a quilt, that she can choose the colors and the
approximate size (in other words, can choose wall-hanging, lap, twin or
queen), and that I'll do everything else. If I have a few patterns in
mind that I'm having trouble choosing between, I might ask her which one
she prefers, but that's as far as it goes. The giftee gets what she
gets, and if she doesn't like it because she didn't get total control,
too bad. I only let the giftee choose the colors because I like
stretching out to work with different colors. If didn't enjoy that, I'd
choose the colors too.

My logic goes like this. I've made hundreds of quilts, but even I can't
sit down, plan a whole quilt from beginning to end, make it exactly the
way I've planned and have it come out well. I change my mind as I go
and as I see the way each piece comes out. More often than not, the
block I made at the beginning and loved ends up being all wrong by the
time I get to the end. If I, with all my experience, can't do that,
what makes me think someone who has never made a single quilt can?
Non-quilters are terrible at choosing patterns because they can't
visualize what this pattern will look like with those fabrics. If
someone tells me she likes bright and bold or soothing and relaxing, I
can work with that but no more detail.

So I suggest asking your future daughter-in-law along for a trip to the
fabric store and getting an idea of what sorts of colors and fabrics she
likes. Invite her to flip through some books and magazines and tell you
what patterns she finds intriguing. Then stop right there and you take
over. Incorporate her colors and one or two of her favorite fabrics,
but then you do the rest. Most beginners never get a good mix of light,
medium and dark for good contrast so you do that. Choose the pattern
that you like. If that's a convergence quilt right now, go for it, but
it could be log cabin or rail fence or any other pattern if that's what
you want. She's going to love it.

--Lia

theys wrote:
[...]
will sit hiding in a closet. Mine are defintely users. Any help will

Old November 14th 04, 06:01 PM
Patti

Hullo Kathy
Before Saturday, I would look through your books/patterns and decide
which of them (a short list so to speak) you would be happy making for
them. That avoids the young lady picking something and you having to
say 'Oh I couldn't do that'. So, she (and your son?) can choose the
pattern they like from something you can enjoy doing. When you go to
the quilt shop on Saturday, get her to show you 'everything' she really
likes (telling her that they won't all be able to go in the quilt, and
you are not asking her to make the quilt choices, just to show you what
makes her heart sing g). Make a note of these if you can, then go
home with the notes and when you are on your own, you can work out the
fabric quantities you need and then go and select the number and colours
of fabric from her list.
People who find decisions difficult (I have a good friend like this!) do
seem to prefer being presented with a limited range to choose from.
I'm sure this will go beautifully.
..
In article ZgLld.31267$V41.30351@attbi_s52, theys
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 15th 04, 12:44 AM
theys

Gee, thanks for the help. First I really thank you for telling me to
go with the pattern that I like. That seems to be the biggest
stumbling block, heehee, for me. Colors I can accomodate. I guess I
just want her to like it if I go artsy and she really likes homespun,
if you get my drift. And thanks about NOT buying on the trip. I
really think that's a great idea, cause I need the planning time, at
home, alone!!! I will take notes and try to get a feel for her style.
And if she really is set on country-folksy, well maybe I can make a
convergence quilt of homespuns, or plaids and checks, bet that would
be interesting. Its sort of easier for me cause the main gift is the
Featherweight, not the quilt. I'm so lucky to have two DILs that can
sew. Now, to get them into quilting!!! Thanks again, and I'll let
you all know what the outcome. Wish me luck. Kathy

Old November 15th 04, 12:31 PM
mauvicem

Another thought...a simple but effective quilt is the Trip Around the world,
one of my personal favorites and seems to be wedding theme-ish and goes VERY
quickly( Using 9 fabrics and 4" squares).....
I like to ask a person to pick a SINGLE fabric with medium to large scale
print, that they love and work from the colors in it....even if it means the
fabric itself will not be included in the quilt....you pick it only for the
palette it presents....
Mauvice

Old November 15th 04, 02:38 PM
Susan Laity Price

I have found that most non-quilters can not visualize what the
finished quilt will look like. I suggest you photo copy pictures of a
few quilts you are willing to make. If you have EQ you could design
them and print out the color full quilt picture. Show her ten
distinctive styles at the most. I say photo copy the pictures rather
than show her the book in order to keep the confusion in check.

Last year I wanted to make a wedding gift quilt for the daughter of my
best friend. Since I had made quilts for her older brothers this
wasn't going to be a surprise. I thought I could get an idea of her
style by taking her to the guild quilt show. She was overwhelmed. It
was just too many ideas. I finally did what I usually do for wedding
gifts. I checked the sheets she had registered and matched my fabric
to those colors, making them neutral enough that when she moves on to
other colors the quilt will still work. The pattern was log cabin with
whites and ivories on the one side and her colors for the dark side.

Hope I someday have your problem. My sons (24 and 28) still aren't
bringing any girls home to meet Mom. I have a hard time keeping my
mouth closed about asking who they are dating or if they are dating. I
know I should be happy that they are both happy and well employed. I
am just wanting that daughter I never had.

Susan

Old November 16th 04, 01:48 PM
Maureen Wozniak

Take her on a shopping trip to the LQS and watch what she's really
attracted too. Start with one of the fabrics she seems to like and go
from there. Maybe bring DS along too, cause she'll be less shy with him
there than she will with just her future MIL.

Maureen