Stop the fabric bleeding

Old February 1st 04, 11:13 PM
Eli

Default Stop the fabric bleeding

Help!! I just got back from JoAnn's with 4 5/8 yards of red fabric for my
DD's quilt. I prewashed it and the Shout Color Catcher came out bright
pink. I am washing a second time and the rinse water is again bright pink.
Is there something that I can add to the wash to stop the bleeding? Do I
just keep washing until it stops? What if it never stops? It was $6 a yard
(before the coupon) so I assume it's "good" fabric... Any and all advice
wanted.

--
Gina in IL
http://www.webshots.com/user/dgelias

Old February 1st 04, 11:19 PM
cozy

I don't know.... but dryer heat _sets_ stains, so maybe it would be a good
thing to dry it once to see how much of the dye will set before you try to
get any more dye out of it.

--
email: change the word cozy to cozyhomelife and change the word netscape to
net

Old February 2nd 04, 12:42 AM
Dorothy

I have bought very expensive red fabrics, like Jinny Beyer prints that are
$16 a metre Canadian and I was never able to get the dye to stop coming out.
I ended up using them with a nice assortment of navy prints so if they bled
it wouldn't matter. I have heard Retayne can be used but is not 100%
effective and RIT makes a similar product to set the dye and prevent it from
running. I have read that red is the hardest dye to set. Sometimes the
fabric is overdyed and that is what you see coming out, but I wouldn't want
to risk a pink quilt if you decide to use it with white...........too bad
because red and white quilts are very nice, reminds me of redwork which I
like to do too!

Mocha in BC

Old February 2nd 04, 12:45 AM
Eli

So I'll dry it - then wash it with vinegar and rinse twice. Hope it
works...

Thanks,
Gina in IL

Old February 2nd 04, 12:55 AM
Julia Altshuler

You want a product called Retayne that you can get from Dharma
(www.dharmatrading.com), but the truth is I keep washing until the dye
stops coming out. I don't trust it otherwise. Have you ever wanted to
play with fabric dyes? Get some white muslin and use the excess dye in
your fabric to splatter the white fabric and make it pink. As for its
being "good" fabric, I've never noticed that more expensive fabric or
fabric from local quilt stores bleeds less than the other stuff. I just
get a bleeder every now and then, not too often, and deal with it.

--Lia

Old February 2nd 04, 01:24 AM
cozy

Oh, I'm assuming that you are washing it alone.... under those circumstances
don't waste any more of those little dye take up cloths. You are only
dumping the water anyway. You only need them if you have other fabric
(like a done quilt) in there and you don't want it to pickup on the other
colors.

Old February 2nd 04, 10:58 AM
Mauvice Murphy

I had a navy blue someone in my guild had bought and I ended up boiling it
in on the stove in salt water and then throuhg the wash again and dryer.
That worked ....but the lady before me had washed it in cold MANY times.

--
Mauvice in Central WI USA
remove no spam to reply

Old February 2nd 04, 02:39 PM
Becky

I think I read somewhere that vinegar doesn't work with the dyes in use
today.

Becky

Pirates o' the South Pacific Swap frood Quilting 27 January 25th 04 12:04 AM
elusive fabric! (long) Debbi Quilting 8 December 18th 03 07:54 PM
FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM
Tapestry frame or embroidery hoop Jill Spottiswoode Needlework 7 September 22nd 03 10:27 AM
2 down, 4 to go & my fabric talks to me Diana Curtis Quilting 4 August 12th 03 03:40 AM