ON TOPIC a help request

Old August 21st 09, 11:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default ON TOPIC a help request

Hi Gang,

I have a friend and a fellow stitcher with a problem. She's in the midst of
a nasty divorce.

Have any of you heard of the needlework being listed as part of the
community property settlement? Who did the evaluation? She was told property
has to be valued at "garage sale prices" so I can't see how it could be
worth much of anything to anyone but her or someone who loves her.

My thoughts would be to use eBay for prices on comparable pieces.

Cheryl

Old August 21st 09, 02:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

All property or just her needlework has to be valued at "garage sale
prices"? And who told her that? I've never heard of such a thing.
Current market value, yes - which is a different ball of yarn (to keep
in the theme).

As to the current market value - ebay might be a good source, but if
it's something still offered in shops, you might be able to use those
values. Also, yardage of materials (linen, canvas, etc.) should be
able to be priced at a current value - it's still offered.

Email me off list if you want more information.

linda
Old August 21st 09, 03:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 8/21/09 9:52 AM, in article
,
" wrote:

All property or just her needlework has to be valued at "garage sale
prices"? And who told her that? I've never heard of such a thing.
Current market value, yes - which is a different ball of yarn (to keep
in the theme).

As to the current market value - ebay might be a good source, but if
it's something still offered in shops, you might be able to use those
values. Also, yardage of materials (linen, canvas, etc.) should be
able to be priced at a current value - it's still offered.

Email me off list if you want more information.

linda

The ex is a mean, nasty jerk who expected she'd roll over and play dead, not
demand things like half his retirement, the house. She was a Stay at Home
Mom, at his insistence even when the kids left; she's now retirement aged
and disabled due to cancer related ailments. He hooked up with a floozy and
he just moved out, took most of the furniture and then hid all the common
assets under his name (stocks, bonds, bank accounts).

On the advice of several of us, she found a pit bull lawyer and fought back
for the money. He managed to convince his son to keep the grandchildren
away.

Linda - I might put you in touch with her off list with her permission.

Cheryl

Old August 21st 09, 08:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Karen C - Calif" wrote in message
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
She was a Stay at Home
Mom, at his insistence even when the kids left; she's now retirement aged

I believe that if she was married more then 10 years she's still entitled
to social security from him even though she didn't work. My friend
collected on her divorced husband's name even when he remarried.

Old August 21st 09, 08:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
She was a Stay at Home
Mom, at his insistence even when the kids left; she's now retirement aged

I believe that if she was married more then 10 years she's still entitled
to social security from him even though she didn't work. My friend
collected on her divorced husband's name even when he remarried.

I think Lucille is right. I had a friend who was in the throes of divorce
when the X died suddenly. She collected from him, and from her first husband
as she had been widowed twice now. And eventually her own reduced benefit.
(#1 was much older, #2 in his late 50s). I suspect that can't happen
anymore; #2 died in the late 80's and she passed 2 years ago.

Cheryl

Old August 21st 09, 08:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
She was a Stay at Home
Mom, at his insistence even when the kids left; she's now retirement
aged

I believe that if she was married more then 10 years she's still
entitled
to social security from him even though she didn't work. My friend
collected on her divorced husband's name even when he remarried.

I think Lucille is right. I had a friend who was in the throes of divorce
when the X died suddenly. She collected from him, and from her first
husband
as she had been widowed twice now. And eventually her own reduced benefit.
(#1 was much older, #2 in his late 50s). I suspect that can't happen
anymore; #2 died in the late 80's and she passed 2 years ago.

Cheryl

I don't know about that, but I know June's ex married twice after her and
both exes collected from him.

Old August 21st 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
[...]

There was some oddball way the whole thing worked. #1 died when their
youngest was still in HS. She collected on all the kids under 21 and used it
help with school/college costs after HS. Lost her support when she went back
to work, but collected again when she turned 62. She and J were just
divorcing when he died and she had just turned 62. She got #1 and #2 at 62,
but not hers until 68 (IIRC)... And #2's first wife collected off his too.
Felt like I needed a score card when she was telling me all this.

(what makes this all so odd is that I ran into our other neighbor from the
condos and we were talking about who's moved, died, married, had kids, has
grandkids and she's going to start collecting SS this year - gack I met her
at her 45th b'day party - her DH invited the entire row of us. That's
20+years ago)

Don't think the situation can happen anymore with people living so much
longer.

Old August 22nd 09, 12:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - Calif

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

She was a Stay at Home
Mom, at his insistence even when the kids left; she's now retirement
aged

I believe that if she was married more then 10 years she's still
entitled to social security from him even though she didn't work. My
friend collected on her divorced husband's name even when he remarried.

Correct. The "worker" can remarry, but the "collector" loses the right
to the ex's SS if he/she remarries.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 8/13/09 - Death by Chocolate - what a way to go!

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/
Old August 22nd 09, 12:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

She was a Stay at Home
Mom, at his insistence even when the kids left; she's now retirement
aged

I believe that if she was married more then 10 years she's still
entitled to social security from him even though she didn't work. My
friend collected on her divorced husband's name even when he remarried.

Correct. The "worker" can remarry, but the "collector" loses the right to
the ex's SS if he/she remarries.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com