basting in lines for cross stitch

Old July 14th 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
me

Default basting in lines for cross stitch

I am starting a very small piece of cross stitch but it is being
put(temporarily) on a large piece of fabric that has other stitching on it.
I have begun the process of basting every tenth line down and then across
but have started to think about how long a process this is going to be.
Quite possibly longer than just stitching the piece. Does everyone baste
when starting cross stitch?

ktj

Old July 14th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Old July 14th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"me" wrote in message
. ..
I am starting a very small piece of cross stitch but it is being
put(temporarily) on a large piece of fabric that has other stitching on it.
I have begun the process of basting every tenth line down and then across
but have started to think about how long a process this is going to be.
Quite possibly longer than just stitching the piece. Does everyone baste
when starting cross stitch?

ktj

I usually don't bother, but it would make life much easier if I did and I'm
always promising I will next time.

Lucille

Old July 14th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Jul 14, 1:32 pm, "me" wrote:
I am starting a very small piece of cross stitch but it is being
put(temporarily) on a large piece of fabric that has other stitching on it.
I have begun the process of basting every tenth line down and then across
but have started to think about how long a process this is going to be.
Quite possibly longer than just stitching the piece. Does everyone baste
when starting cross stitch?

The only time I baste is if it's a very large piece (over 12"x12") or
if the design has such a scattered subject that it would make it
difficult to get them in the right places without basting.

I never baste on something oooohhhh, less than about 10"x10".

HTH

Joan
Old July 15th 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
me

thanks for the reply- how do you keep track then- do you cross off the
chart as you go?

ktj

Old July 15th 08, 07:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"me" wrote
thanks for the reply- how do you keep track then- do you cross off the
chart as you go?

I think everyone develops their own system. I don't grid. I do make a
working copy of the chart if it is complicated, and colour in the stitches
as I finish them. Sometimes, if things are really complicated, I use more
than one colour. (My working copy is a total wreck when I am done!). For
things that are easier to follow, I often use a metal board and magnetic
strips. I have a sort of easel for the board so it stands up, and I move
the strips, either line by line, or sometimes I make a little "box" around
the area I am working on.
And lots of times I don't bother, recognizing that is how frogging sessions
come into being.
Dawne

Old July 15th 08, 11:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

"me" ) writes:
I am starting a very small piece of cross stitch but it is being
put(temporarily) on a large piece of fabric that has other stitching on it.
I have begun the process of basting every tenth line down and then across
but have started to think about how long a process this is going to be.
Quite possibly longer than just stitching the piece. Does everyone baste
when starting cross stitch?

ktj

I have tried all sorts of different ways to keep the count accurate, but
I never baste. I am sure most people know by now, but never baste with
any type of thread that either sheds, or can be easily pierced by the
needle. Fot obvious reasons. Jim.

Old July 15th 08, 11:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Dawne Peterson" wrote in message
news

"me" wrote
thanks for the reply- how do you keep track then- do you cross off the
chart as you go?

I think everyone develops their own system. I don't grid. I do make a
working copy of the chart if it is complicated, and colour in the stitches
as I finish them. Sometimes, if things are really complicated, I use more
than one colour. (My working copy is a total wreck when I am done!). For
things that are easier to follow, I often use a metal board and magnetic
strips. I have a sort of easel for the board so it stands up, and I move
the strips, either line by line, or sometimes I make a little "box" around
the area I am working on.
And lots of times I don't bother, recognizing that is how frogging
sessions come into being.
Dawne

This describes what I do most of the time, but sometimes I even mark the
original chart. If possible, what I really like to do, is to fold the chart
around a heavy piece of cardboard, then stick the magnetic board behind the
area I'm working on and stick the whole thing in a big plastic bag. The
magnetic strips work through the thin plastic and I can box in an area and
use one movable strip to keep my place.

For me a day without frogging isn't quite complete and means either I didn't
get much of anything done on my project, or more likely I was out all day.

Lucille

Old July 15th 08, 12:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

me says...
I am starting a very small piece of cross stitch but it is being
put(temporarily) on a large piece of fabric that has other stitching on it.
I have begun the process of basting every tenth line down and then across
but have started to think about how long a process this is going to be.
Quite possibly longer than just stitching the piece. Does everyone baste
when starting cross stitch?

I don't baste cause I don't do counted work. A friend's mother is a
wonderful stitcher at 93 and uses different colored threads to grid her
fabric. She draws lines with the same colors on a copy of the chart and
uses a highlighter to mark off what she's done.

--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old July 15th 08, 12:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 7/14/08 2:32 PM, "me" wrote:

I am starting a very small piece of cross stitch but it is being
put(temporarily) on a large piece of fabric that has other stitching on it.
I have begun the process of basting every tenth line down and then across
but have started to think about how long a process this is going to be.
Quite possibly longer than just stitching the piece. Does everyone baste
when starting cross stitch?

ktj

No - in a word. It sounds like your application of joining the pieces
together might make it worthwhile if you're concerned about precision. There
are a few situations when many people will baste.

1 - IME, some stitchers baste any large project (arbitraily, something
bigger than about 14" by 18").

2 - Another basis for the decision has to do with the design itself - is it
irregular, lots of confetti stitching, or like a spot sampler. Those are
good to baste because it will ease the counting when you're looking for
reference points. Especially if you're not sure of a starting place, and
how the stitching areas will proceed throughout the design

3 - Design is being worked by multiple stitchers (and is largish)

4 - Especially if any of the above, and the stitcher is working over 2 (e.g.
Linen, lugana, etc) and is not experienced with this fabric, or not sure
about counting

Personally, I almost never baste. But, I also start in the center
frequently on designs where that seems appropriate, and am a stickler about
not carrying long threads.

Really large pieces, that are going to be worked on for a long time are IMHO
great for basting. If you put it down, or want to work in various areas,
the basting lines will be really helpful.

Word of caution - be careful that your basting lines are true. In the shop,
we have "As A Forest Grew" set up on very large scrolls - so people can just
stitch on it. Unfortunately, the shop owner assumed the person that basted
the grid in did it "right" - and didn't check. Until several people had
worked on it, and found the grid was off a few threads here and there.

It's a matter of your personal choice and skills - are you more comfortable
counting frequently, or having the tool of a reference grid in place. Since
I do a lot of sewing, gridding is fast for me - when I bother. But, either
way - I'd do what keeps your stitching most enjoyable!

Ellice