OT - Renovations: Day 2

Old April 5th 04, 01:46 AM
AliceW

Default OT - Renovations: Day 2

So there we were in our kitchen attempting to install the new sink. We had
already installed into the sink the new brushed brass Moen goose neck faucet
with the sprayer in the nozzle. I had gotten up early to finish the last
strip of wall paper. This one was the toughest since it had lots of cuts to
make under the cabinets and microwave and none of them were at the same
height as well as 3 outlets and switches. But it went up very nicely.
Installed the switch plates and I was done. Then we hoisted the largest
piece of countertop and the DH screwed it in from underneath. The DH
started in on the plumbing to install the sink and new garbage disposal. It
was an absolutely miserable day - pouring down rain most of the day so we
couldn't leave the pups out on the deck. We had "hired" the step-son and
his cousin to move lots of heavy stuff for us so the pups needed to be kept
safely from underfoot. But I digress...... so we continued to install
what should have been a snap - "should have been" being the operative words
here. The DH and I are standing in front of the sink reading directions for
the disposal and we hear drip, drip, drip. What the hell........ we look
up and there is water coming out of our ceiling fixture! We run upstairs
and see another leak in the ceiling of the bedroom and one in the upper
hallway. So, we drag the ladder out and check the attic. The DH assumed it
was a leak around our attic fan, but it was actually coming from the roof
vent which runs the length of the roof. The DH fixed it for today and it
stopped raining shortly after that, but we'll need to get a roofer in here
quick. Just what we needed.

In addition, the plumbing under the sink needs to be ripped out since the
new sink is deeper than the old sink and there is no way to connect the new
stuff to the existing pipes. So, the DH will take a day off this week and
work on that. He was really frustrated but he knew when to stop futzing
with it. Meanwhile, the DSS ripped up all the carpeting in the family room
to get ready for the new floor on Thursday. He did such a great job pulling
out a gazillion staples that held down the padding. He was a big help
today, he is such a good kid!

So, the toaster is still in the garage (power is off in the kitchen until
the disposal issue is fixed), the dishes are getting washed in the sink in
the basement and we are eating off a folding table in the bare floor family
room. But the countertops look great, the wallpaper looks great, the new
sink looks great! We'll get the roof fixed and the sink installed to be
sure. The floor is coming and we don't have to install that - yippee! The
DH knows his limits at least! And the new stove and dishwasher come
Thursday as well. So, all in all, life is good - a little bumpy, but good!

Stay tuned.......
--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
www.ourcyberfamily.us

Old April 5th 04, 02:07 AM
Sharon Harper

I love reading things like this - because I've been through it and am still
going through it. I swear people must think I have no clothing - I've been
wearing the same threee outfits for the last 3 months as we are living out
of suitcases (our master bedroom is being turned into a playroom).

Give your DSS a gi-antic hug for me and tell him I think he is a very brave
boy! I've done that (ripped up staples, nails and those gosh-awful tacking
strips) in 4 bedrooms, a hallway, lounge, meals and kitchen. Not a thing I
would wish on my worstest enemy.....well....maybe! LOL.

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html