floor stands - left handed stitcher

Old May 10th 04, 11:24 PM
Heidi

Default floor stands - left handed stitcher

Hello everyone --

I have read with interest previous postings about floor stands,
however, I am still uncertain about what to purchase as a gift for my
mother. I have a Gazelle stand, and I love it! I like the wood
material (looks great in my living room), and I love the fact that I
can easily flip over to the back of my work to end threads.

My mother is a left-handed stitcher. She has talked about Lowery
stands, but I an concerned that they don't offer the same "flip over
your work" option. Further, I am am concerned about left-handed use
of the frame -- and finally, I am a bit worried about stability.

What do folks think? My mom will not be using the stand for travel --
it will be used for home use only.

Thanks, in advance, for your comments.

Best,

-- Heidi
Old May 11th 04, 12:16 AM
Caryn

My mother is a left-handed stitcher. She has talked about Lowery
stands, but I an concerned that they don't offer the same "flip over
your work" option. Further, I am am concerned about left-handed use
of the frame -- and finally, I am a bit worried about stability.

I am right handed, but stitch two handed in the manner a leftie would. I do a
lot of things leftie, just one of those little quirks of nature I guess.

Anyway, I haven't tried the Lowery stand, so I can't say whether my sorta
leftie stitching would work with it or not.

I have The Swan and it works great for me, can spin it lengthwise to get to
back of work, rather than it flipping up. Never gives me any problems, other
than the fact that I keep trying to hang my big a$$ projects off it and it tips
away from me on occasion...like when I've swung it out to give a wee one a
nite-nite kiss or something, never when I'm actually stitching at it.

HTH, fear it just added to your confusion tho! ;-)

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old May 11th 04, 12:36 AM
Momjws1

..like when I've swung it out to give a wee one a
nite-nite kiss or something, never when I'm actually stitching at it.

HTH, fear it just added to your confusion tho! ;-)

Caryn, so you definately say it's ok? With a recliner?

Jane in WV
Old May 11th 04, 01:20 AM
Caryn

Caryn, so you definately say it's ok? With a recliner?

Jane in WV

I always sit in my recliner to stitch, so yes, the swan definately works with a
recliner! lol

Old May 11th 04, 11:20 AM
Pat P

I`ve had a Lowery for years and wouldn`y be without it. Yes, it flips over
easily with just the loosdening of the very easy screw lever. Stability is
no problem - you place the floorplate under the foot of your chair. Left or
right handed makes no difference ast all - you just put it on either side of
your chair, according to which is easiest!

I wouldn`t be without mine - I`m disabled too with the use of only one hand,
and it makes life SO much easier. It`s wonderful just being able to swing
it away to stand up, rather than having to lift the whole thing out of the
way. It will last forever, too! I know it`s expensive - but you certainly
get what you pay for - worth every penny! In fact I`m thinking of getting
the table clamp version as well, but that`s just a case of "wanting" it -
not actually "needing" it!!!

Pat P

m...

Old May 12th 04, 12:58 AM
Pat P

Aren`t people different! I like to sit bolt upright to stitch, so have a
lovely upright leather chair with wings. On occasion I nod off, still bolt
upright, and still holding my needle over the work! LOL!

Pat P

Old May 12th 04, 01:10 AM
Caryn

"Caryn" wrote in message
Caryn, so you definately say it's ok? With a recliner?

Jane in WV

I always sit in my recliner to stitch, so yes, the swan definately works

with a
recliner! lol

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs

Pat,

I rarely Xst with the feet up on the recliner, but it's always nice to have the
option.

Especially with my tendency to sprain ankles and need to elevate them! lol

Caryn (total clutz)
Old May 12th 04, 02:06 AM

Caryn, forgive me for mentioning this here...but please email be re Thanos?
Thanks

Marc (aka on another group MarcD)

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/needlemania