You Know You're a Stitcher When....

Old January 19th 04, 01:58 PM
koalamom

(Yvette) wrote in message . com...
"Leigh Harris" wrote in message ...
Hi Julie,

Sorry if I misled you. But unfortunately I just don't want to get your
hopes up unnecessarily. You could do a search on Peg Fraser, Sarah L
Ricketts and Persephone Designs if you're interested in Australian
well knownish cross stitch designers.

Yvette

No, no worries there .... I am just interested in getting
information so I know what to expect .... I didn't know much about
the designers you listed above, so I will check them out. Personally,
out of what I have seen so far over the years, my favorite is Karen
Couchman ...... Julie
Old January 20th 04, 09:03 AM
Rosemary Peeler

Hi Julie,

I don't know of anywhere right in the city to get stash. Myer (big
department store) used to have a haberdashery department, but the
suburban stores have closed theirs, so perhaps the city store has too.

A couple of good shops a bit out of the city are Lazy Daisy in
Heidelberg (was there just over a week ago) and Bustle and Bows in
Malvern.

It's a pity the market didn't have any stash. I used to get all my
stitchy stuff at the various markets when I was a little girl. The
reason for that is that they were where I spent my school holidays. My
parents were market stallholders, and there certainly were people
selling printed canvases and threads back then. This was quite a long
time ago though.

Make sure you let us all know when you get to Melbourne and we can try
and round some people up to got and visit a shop or two. Lazy Daisy
has quite a nice little cafe just a couple of doors away.

Anyway, there are other shops too. My sister has started visiting one
called Sun Spun in Canterbury which has mainly needlepoint kits
(Elizabeth Bradley, Jolly Red etc.) and Appletons wool and knitting
wool and patterns.

Sorry for taking a while to reply. I read newsgroups offline and only
dial in every couple of days, so I'm usually a bit late to add
anything to a thread.

By the way, my Dad came from Castlemaine

Bye for now.

Rosemary in Melbourne (outer eastern suburbs)

On 15 Jan 2004 03:54:50 -0800, (koalamom)
wrote:

Deb Milner wrote in message . ..

[snip ]

When I was there, one of the clients took me there on Saturday. I had
SO much fun, that I had to buy another large suitcase when there (at
the market of course).

When I returned home, when going through customs, I gave them my
declaration sheet, but was also asked if I had anything to declare.

My response was "Only that I am in SO much trouble when my DH sees the
new suitcase and how full it is".

The customs inspector laughed and sent me through.

DH reacted....well, let's say I still get teased about that trip.

Did you ever find any stash at the Vic Market ? During my 3 trips
there, I never did. Seemed like that they had everything but. ( and
for the uninitiated, Deb and I do mean everything ). To get stash
with an Australian theme over the years I have 1) gotten two gifts
from my mother-in-law 2) created my own stash through PC Stitch 3)
purchased Allura's Australia in Cross Stitch from a major bookstore 4)
some tearouts from my mother-in-law's Better Homes and Gardens [ Aus.
version ] 5) Ebay purchases [ haven't seen them yet, my MIL is keeping
them for me until I get there. Two big pattern books, too costly to
mail.

Isnt't that the worst ? When you know you have stash, someone else in
the family volunteers to keep it for you, and you haven't even seen it
yet ? ;-) ...

To Melbourne stitchers, where are the best places in the city to get
stash ?

Julie

Old January 20th 04, 09:41 PM
koalamom

(Rosemary Peeler) wrote in message ...
Hi Julie,

I don't know of anywhere right in the city to get stash. Myer (big
department store) used to have a haberdashery department, but the
suburban stores have closed theirs, so perhaps the city store has too.

I don't think that there is much in the CBD unless things have
changed. I was in and out of the CBD in 97, 99 and 01. At any rate,
by visiting the suburbs to see a shop or two, you can get out and
about.

A couple of good shops a bit out of the city are Lazy Daisy in
Heidelberg (was there just over a week ago) and Bustle and Bows in
Malvern.

I hadn't heard yet about the Bustle and Bows. I shall have to check
it out. I knew that there was something in Heidelberg, but didn't
know the name until now. Thank you ... I also know that there is a
shop in Geelong too.

It's a pity the market didn't have any stash. I used to get all my
stitchy stuff at the various markets when I was a little girl. The
reason for that is that they were where I spent my school holidays. My
parents were market stallholders, and there certainly were people
selling printed canvases and threads back then. This was quite a long
time ago though.

I think that sort of day would be fabulous. Parents work there so you
spend the day going all over the place ;-) ..... Seems like that if
they have so much that maybe someday they might include a stall that
sells threads, materials and charts too .... We can hope

Make sure you let us all know when you get to Melbourne and we can try
and round some people up to got and visit a shop or two. Lazy Daisy
has quite a nice little cafe just a couple of doors away.

Hello ...... You just got my attention ;-) .... Rosemary, with your
permission I will add you to my personal address book and then I can
contact you as the year goes by and when things get closer and so on
..... Thanks for this offer. Does this cafe serve a good cup of
coffee ? Coffee is probably my next love after stitching ;-) ...

Anyway, there are other shops too. My sister has started visiting one
called Sun Spun in Canterbury which has mainly needlepoint kits
(Elizabeth Bradley, Jolly Red etc.) and Appletons wool and knitting
wool and patterns.

I don't do needlepoint, just cross stitch. Although I have tried
knitting, crocheting and latch hook rugs ....

Sorry for taking a while to reply.

No problem ..... Was nice to hear from you and I hope that we can
keep in touch .... Take care, Julie ** what part of the city do you
live in ?
Old January 23rd 04, 09:05 AM
Rosemary Peeler

Hello again Julie,

I think that sort of day would be fabulous. Parents work there so you
spend the day going all over the place ;-) ..... Seems like that if
they have so much that maybe someday they might include a stall that
sells threads, materials and charts too .... We can hope

Yes, looking back it was a good way to spend my childhood. Of course,
we helped when it was busy, but got to trade comics at one market
and look at the pets at another, and so on.

Hello ...... You just got my attention ;-) .... Rosemary, with your
permission I will add you to my personal address book and then I can
contact you as the year goes by and when things get closer and so on
.... Thanks for this offer. Does this cafe serve a good cup of
coffee ? Coffee is probably my next love after stitching ;-) ...

Go ahead and put me in your address book, and keep in touch. I
certainly enjoyed the coffee I had with my lunch a couple of weeks
ago now.

I'm located in Mooroolbark, which is almost as far out as you can go
to the east (2nd last station on the Lilydale line) without leaving
the suburbs. The good thing is you don't have to go far to get to
the country.

Anyway, I hope all your preparations go well and I'll look forward to
seeing you eventually.

Bye for now.

Rosemary