when do you decorate xmas

Old December 1st 03, 04:00 PM
emer

Default when do you decorate xmas

Haing sorted out the type of tree when do you start decorating for
christmas. I do it on or around the 8th of December, we always were
off school on that day and my Mum let us get the stuff down from the
attic and start.

Emer.
Old December 1st 03, 04:02 PM
Brenda Lewis

DH always starts over Thanksgiving weekend. When I lived alone, I
decorated whenever I felt like it and had the time. It took even longer
for me to feel like putting away decorations then.

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: "Pink Baby" photo frame, Candamar

Old December 1st 03, 04:15 PM
Gillian Murray

That is a contentious question in our household. Once Thanksgiving is over
MIL starts asking when we willl decorate. Given my druthers, I would like to
do it about a week before Christmas, and then take it down on New Years Day.
DH goes with the flow. I remember my mother doing the decorating a week
before the big day, then it was always taken down on Twelfth Night......Jan
6th. Two weeks of all that clutter is all I can take anymore; if I had my
way, I would just have a small tree, forget all the garland and wreath
stuff, and put up some neat things, like a Christmas Village. However an 87
yr old MIL is rather like a 7 year old kid, and likes all the lights and
glitter!!

Gillian the Grinch.

om...

Old December 1st 03, 04:29 PM
gdmack

the girls and I decorate the tree in time for the oldest birthday (Dec 13)
and take it down after the youngest bday (Jan 5).. DH is currently out of
country, not that he helps much anyway!! So might put it up sooner. aftera
few more ornaments are made.

Donna in SC

Old December 1st 03, 04:38 PM
georg

emer wrote:

Haing sorted out the type of tree when do you start decorating for
christmas. I do it on or around the 8th of December, we always were
off school on that day and my Mum let us get the stuff down from the
attic and start.

Emer.

We put up the kissmoose lights yesterday. Other than more and more
lights, that's all the decorating we intend to do.

Anything else is just a cat toy.

-georg

Old December 1st 03, 05:14 PM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Usually start getting stuff down from the attic about Dec 5-15th, but
the tree doesn't happen until the 23rd at the earliest...and stays up
until Jan 6th (though sometimes the 5th is close enough, depending on
what family schedule is like, what date falls on a weekend, etc.) if
it's a "cut" tree. If it's a "bag and ball" (i.e., live) tree it's only
in the 24th to 28th. But we're running out of space to plant 'em!

Sue

Old December 1st 03, 05:16 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Wreath goes up the day the Boy Scouts deliver it! anything else - not
really!
Cheryl

On 12/1/03 10:15 AM, in article
, "Gillian Murray"
wrote:

That is a contentious question in our household. Once Thanksgiving is over
MIL starts asking when we willl decorate. Given my druthers, I would like to
do it about a week before Christmas, and then take it down on New Years Day.
DH goes with the flow. I remember my mother doing the decorating a week
before the big day, then it was always taken down on Twelfth Night......Jan
6th. Two weeks of all that clutter is all I can take anymore; if I had my
way, I would just have a small tree, forget all the garland and wreath
stuff, and put up some neat things, like a Christmas Village. However an 87
yr old MIL is rather like a 7 year old kid, and likes all the lights and
glitter!!

Gillian the Grinch.

om...

Old December 1st 03, 06:45 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: (emer)

Haing sorted out the type of tree when do you start decorating for
christmas. ..........

Dare you ask??? Lesse -- DH take the week of Thanksgiving off so all of the
outside is done and the lights go on by 6:00PM on thanksgiving night. Inside,
I spend Friday putting away all of the T-day stuff, the autumn village and all
of the other autumn decorations. That means Saturday after Thanksgiving --
regardless of the date -- is when we start to decorate the inside of the house.
So far, I have the artificial tree in the formal living room decorated. The
garland in the formal living room, around the front door and in the archway
from the foyer to the living room is up.
The Christmas Village is unpacked and laid out ready for me to start getting
it hooked up. That is a multi-day project as the main portion of the village
and the train goes on a 4' x 10' plywood base set on the dining room table.
The "municipal" building for the village go on a 2.5' x 4' folding table I put
right next to the big table. We now have 28 or 29 buildings and about 2 dozen
little trees with lights on them :-))). Then there are the lighted street
lights and the lighted Gazebo and bridge and the small white figures that are
also lighted (deer, angel, sleigh, etc.).
Once the village is finished, I will put out the Nativity, put the lighted
garland on the front stair case, set up the Garfield artificial tree in the
upstairs landing, hang the musical bells from the upstairs landing, put up the
lighted garland in the kitchen windows, hang the 21 years worth of brass
ornaments on that garland along with the 12 hand painted ceramic ornaments, put
up the lighted garland over the windows and French doors in the Family Room and
finally put up the lighted garland on the mantle. This is all in addition to
all the candles, pillows, afghans, Christmas Kitties, the 4' tall nutcracker
and other tchatchkies that get strewn around the house wherever there is a
relatively flat surface :-). Did I mention that I LOVE Christmas and wait all
year for the season???
We did go yesterday and buy Sherwood (as previously mentioned) but he won't
get put up and decorated until Saturday, 06 December. If we were to stay home
over Christmas, it would wait another week but since we are gone for a week,
the tree gets put up earlier so that I can enjoy it.
VBS -- I'm tired just thinking about it! And you know what? I don't
decorate as much as I did when we still lived in Lizard land and the family
would be over during the holidays!! I have stuff for ALL the bathrooms, my
bedroom (tree and garland) the guest bedroom (garland and bedding) that doesn't
get put out most years!! CiaoMeow ^;;^
..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old December 1st 03, 07:54 PM
Bungadora

I don't usually have a tree, although I decorate usually a couple of weeks in
advance. No room for a tree. This year I will likely decorate on December 10,
because I am having Xmas company that week.

I visit the family farm for Xmas. Usually we chop a tree from the woods, and
get the tree up on the 24th. The kids decorate it while my brothers finish Xmas
shopping. My brother gets home at 5:30, we eat dinner at 6, my brother finishes
wrapping at 6:59, and we open the gifts at around 7, or when the dishes are
done, whichever comes first. The kids leave on the 25th, we take the tree down
on the 26th before we leave for home, because my mother is getting rather old
now, and has trouble with jobs like that.

We went to a gift exchange this year, in which we only exchange one gift with
one other person in the family, which is a lot less pressured, but removes some
of the suspense of whether my brother will be finished wrapping in time or not.
Dora