basting in lines for cross stitch

Old July 16th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Default basting in lines for cross stitch

Joan E. wrote:

On Jul 15, 6:49 am, ellice wrote:

Word of caution - be careful that your basting lines are true.

I see this has become more of a "how-to-baste" session than if/when,
which is what the original question was (which is okay for those
lurkers curious but afraid to ask), so I'll add a couple more
points:
1. When you baste, follow the dark lines on the pattern. The first
time I basted, it was a large (17"x20") design and I started from the
center point and worked out. My brain said, "Of *course* the basting
lines are the same as the dark lines on the pattern!. Not.
....snipped.....
Joan

I learned that lesson the same way -- LOL! Now I will baste both
vert. & horiz. CENTER lines of the design in one color and the heavy
grid lines according to where they are on the chart! I usually start
stitching in the center but even then, having the center lines basted
helps a lot when you need to work in an area not close to the dead
center of the chart.
Oh -- and I use all of the old, ugly colored spools of sewing thread
to do my basting. Sewing thread is usually very "clean" -- no fuzzies
to speak of. You can even use the really old stuff that you got from
your Granny's sewing basket after she went to the Rainbow Bridge!
Basting doesn't really put any stress on thread so the really old stuff
works OK. You just want to make sure it's still color fast (almost
always it's OK) and not so old it is actually disintegrating -- LOLOL!
CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old July 17th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
me

It's just a leaf motif- i pulled it out of a chart from a Just Cross Stitch
magazine from 1995...it's very small, i know you will laugh, about 55 by
35....
but i wanted it to be as perfect as possible since there is a deadline for
finishing it. I don't want to be in the middle and find out that i blew it
and have to start over. Being quite slow about things has it's drawbacks!

and when i am done it will get cut off the main piece of fabric and used
in a greeting card. The chart was black and white symbols and small, so I
enlarged it quite a bit in order to see and started on the lower left end
of the leaf. (stem to the right and leaf is horizontally laid out...it;s a
very curly leaf.

It's from the JUly August issue from 1995. Would love to get my hands on the
next issue as well and am planning to write to them to see if they just
might have it still somewhere..........(not holding my breath on that one!)
There are two charts in the issue that i really love, one is a Tudor sampler
and the whole project is in two parts, the second one being-you guessed it,
in the September issue, and then there is a set of pictures. A lion and a
tiger each one reminiscent of Gaugan(spelling)...very wonderful colors and
shapes to the elements. And of course the second chart is that same next
issue! If anyone has that issue i would be quite interested in purchasing it
:)

"Tia Mary" wrote in message

So -- tell us what you are working on, OK??? CiaoMeow ^;;^

Old July 17th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
joanie

On Jul 16, 7:43�pm, "me" wrote:
It's from the JUly August issue from 1995. Would love to get my hands on the
next issue as well and am planning to write to them to see if they just
might have it still somewhere..........(not holding my breath on that one!)

If it's the Sept/Oct 1995 issue of JCS you're looking for I'd be happy
to send you mine. I have magazines in excess of storage space and
this is just one of them.
Reply to me at luv2count at aol dot com
Just note in the subject Just Cross Stitch mag so I don't
inadvertently delete it.

Joan in NY
Old July 17th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
me

Joanie, private email done and sent! You are so generous and gracious-thanks
so much. Can;t wait to see it. The part of the band sampler that is in that
issue is the needlelace band.

ktj

Old July 17th 08, 12:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 7/16/08 2:39 PM, "Tia Mary" wrote:

me wrote:

I am starting a very small piece of cross stitch but it is being
put(temporarily) on a large piece of fabric that has other stitching on it.
I have begun the process of basting every tenth line down and then across
but have started to think about how long a process this is going to be.
Quite possibly longer than just stitching the piece. Does everyone baste
when starting cross stitch?

ktj

OOO -- a nasty job and I hate it so I only do it for really big or
really complicated designs. ANY MLI design needs to be basted first --
they fit both the criteria for MOI -- LOL! When a bunch of us worked
on the FireHouse Angel, I basted that whole *(#$(*$&*$%&$ huge piece of
fabric -- OY THE PAIN -- because there were something like a dozen or
mor different people who were going to be working on it!

That was interesting to me. I totally agree with basting a piece that
numerous folks will work on. But, personally, with designs like Mirabilia
or MLI, I just start in the middle and work out - so haven't ever had to
baste.

Instead of basting the area every 10 stitches, why not just baste
the outside lines of the small design area to be stitched? For
instance, if your design is 60 stitches x 80 stitches, then baste an
area that is 70 x 90 stitches. I would probably not even count the
threads but just measure and then baste.

I have recently had my students baste an outer border line. For the
geometric piece, Twister, which isn't counted - but is a set of 4 blocks
that should be the same size (drawn on the congress cloth). After speaking
with some others that taught this piece, and what worked for them - I
decided to have them count the 145 threades right.left, up, down from the
center lines and put in a basting line. They only had to baste the right
and left sides - like a long, shallow "C" or in reverse - so that way when
sittching each motif they could be sure to end in the right thread line.
They could then just stitch the actual design right under the basting
thread. Working like a charm, cause you can look and see if you're ending
in the right place - so to speak.

FWIW:
http://www.stitchers-paradise.com/Ca...y/TWISTER.html

So -- tell us what you are working on, OK??? CiaoMeow ^;;^

Good question.

Ellice

Old July 17th 08, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

ellice wrote:
....snipped........
That was interesting to me. I totally agree with basting a piece that
numerous folks will work on. But, personally, with designs like Mirabilia
or MLI, I just start in the middle and work out - so haven't ever had to
baste. .....snipped.......
Ellice

When I did EarthDancer, it was an absolute necessity to lay down a
grid! The area of the woman that was solidly stitched wasn't the
problem, it was that *#$*$&% God's Eye that was a total P.I.T.A. I also
needed gridding in the lower right area where the little trees are and
the pots or some such. This way, I could quit working on the figure and
go work on those trees, etc. as a break. Before I started work on the
piece, I got a LOT of input from people who had stitched it and they ALL
said that if I did nothing else, I MUST grid the area where the God's
Eye would be as it was totally impossible to get that *#$&*#$^$% thing
done properly without the grid work!! They were right and I was
eternally grateful that I took the time to grid the piece.
I like to grid the big stuff because it let's me easily wander my
stitching from one area of the chart to another so that I can work with
a different color, design element, etc. Without gridding a huge piece
like an MLI, it's virtually impossible to meander your stitching area
from place to place like that.
I'm like you -- I usually just find the center and start there and
work out. After working on several large pieces tho', I have learned
that I like the freedom to wander my stitching from one segment to
another so that I don't get as bored with the piece. CiaoMeow ^;;^

Old July 17th 08, 03:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 7/17/08 9:05 AM, "Tia Mary" wrote:

ellice wrote:
....snipped........
[...]

I totally understand - and agree - I'd probably at least have partially
gridded.

I'm like you -- I usually just find the center and start there and
work out. After working on several large pieces tho', I have learned
that I like the freedom to wander my stitching from one segment to
another so that I don't get as bored with the piece. CiaoMeow ^;;^

Tee hee - this is why I so rarely do pieces that are all XS (back stitch
doesn't count) - the boredom factor. Also, when doing complicated things
with borders - samplers - band or not - especially I almost never, ever just
work all around the border. I tend to do the top and come down a bit on
either side, then work in the middle, then continue down the sides, then the
middle, etc. I cannot say how many people that I know who've had to frog a
bottom border or such because they went off on a side by trying to do the
entire border first, and then not catching where they went off til way late.
Interestingly enough, the designer from Queenstonw, Barbara Hutchins, was
talking about this with Donna & I last week. She said that her experience
now had been it was better to work the sides down a ways, then build the
middle, etc. Although, the piece I'm about to start - she did the top
border, then some of the top inside, then went to the bottom interior and
worked up (including the border). But, I think this has to do with leaving
the free embroidery in the middle/upper sections til last. Also, some of
the motifs are actually stitched on top of a prior stitched area. Should be
interesting.

Ellice

Old July 17th 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"ellice" wrote in message
On 7/17/08 9:05 AM, "Tia Mary" wrote:

ellice wrote:
....snipped........
[...]

I just realized that what you describe is the way I generally work. I just
started a piece that has a border all arouind and I started at the upper
left hand top and went half way across.

Now I'm ready to do some of the center part, but I think I'll probably only
go half way this time too and do the side border as I go along.

..

Old July 17th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

ellice wrote:
...snipped....
Tee hee - this is why I so rarely do pieces that are all XS (back stitch
doesn't count) - the boredom factor. ...snipped....
But, I think this has to do with leaving
the free embroidery in the middle/upper sections til last. Also, some of
the motifs are actually stitched on top of a prior stitched area. Should be
interesting.

Ellice

I don't know if you were around ages ago when I started a humongous
flame war -- and I'm probably starting one again :-) -- by saying that
plain old cross stitch is BORRRRING and doesn't take a lot of skill.
And before some of you get all ****ed off, I am NOT denigrating cross
stitch design or finished work, etc., some of my best friends do plain
ordinary cross stitch (she says with tongue firmly in cheek). Hell's
bells -- *I* do loads of plain ordinary old cross stitch! I am simply
talking about the skill level needed BY AN ORDINARY PERSON LIKE MOST OF
US to stitch one X after another! I realize there are a LOT of folks
out there who can only do regular XS because of vision or health
problems and I am NOT putting them down because of this!!! I am talking
about the actual formation of the stitches -- it's a freeking X for
heaven's sake and anyone who has some basic skill with their hands, can
pay attention, can see, read & follow directions can learn to make that
basic X. There is some skill in keeping the count correct but that also
basically paying attention and takes focus, not a lot of talent.
I'm not saying that basic XS is bad or people who prefer to do only
XS are less skilled, etc. But face it -- when talking about the actual
mechanics of forming the stitch -- we aren't talking rocket science
here :-). It's way too difficult to describe what makes a skilled piece
of XS better but it IS noticeable when put next to a piece that was done
by someone without much skill. HMMM -- maybe that's a good topic for
another discussion!
Of course, changing design elements, like changing fiber colors,
fiber type, fabric type or color takes some skill to get everything
looking good together. If I am going to do a piece that is XS only, I
usually add some sort of fancy fiber like Wisper or blending filament
and maybe some beads and French knots if there's a spot for this stuff.
I like the texture and interest that this gives to the finished piece.
I also like XS only designs that use partial stitches, long stitches
(like KITTY WHISKERS), tweeded colors, etc. in addition to the standard
X. Getting all these different elements stitched properly takes skill.
I am like you, my most favourite designs incorporate elements from
all different types of needlework. I think that's why I LOVE band
samplers so much. There are so many different stitches requiring all
levels of skill in a band sampler and I truly feel I have accomplished
something when I finish one. I would REALLY like to see the design you
are talking about with the motifs stitched over top of previously
stitched areas -- sounds VERY interesting to MOI!!
I'm sure there will be some who are just totally ****ed off at MOI
thinking I am saying they are somehow "less" because they choose to do
XS only designs. I'll reiterate -- that is not what I mean and I think
XS only designs are perfectly wonderful, totally acceptable and I do a
LOT of them myself. But you all gotta admit -- stitching one X after
another gets to be pretty boring! CiaoMeow ^;;^

Old July 17th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

Tia Mary wrote:

It's way too difficult to describe what makes a skilled piece
of XS better but it IS noticeable when put next to a piece that was done
by someone without much skill. HMMM -- maybe that's a good topic for
another discussion!

There's the issue of stitch tension, and complicatedness of chart (lots
of confetti vs. big blocks of one color).

Anyone can definitely see the difference between something by The Silver
Lining with those incredible shadings and the same subject in a beginner
kit using only one or two colors.

But late at night, I'm not going to work on a SL and screw up the
confetti counting, so I keep a few of those idiot-proof pieces around.

Some of you will remember that a few years ago, I was on an experimental
medication that was so strong it not only did what it was supposed to do
really well, but left me totally stoned the whole next day. In order to
do some stitching, I had a couple of beginner kits. And when I looked
at the end result, it looked like it was stitched by a beginner because
my stitch tension was so awful. (But, by golly, I was stitching!)

--

Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 7/7/08 - Christmas Music Bellpull

WIP: MLI Christmas Visit, Oriental Kimono (Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel,
Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/