2006 Projects?

Old January 4th 06, 09:07 PM
lkreinmiller lkreinmiller is offline
Junior Member

Location: Portland, OR
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.
Who has something slated for stitching in 2006?

Maureen
I am currently working on a new project for our Mystery Retreat in July. For some reason I'm really slogging on this one. Good thoughts, please.
Old January 5th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Fabric 2006 Projects?

We wore "artfully arranged sheets" to "Greek Revival" parties in the
mid-80's. The word "toga" was banned by the campus dept. of residence.
Lots of fun no matter what you call it.

Joan E. wrote:
True. And mu mus did enjoy a brief bout of popularity in the U.S. (not
sure about other places) waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when but, AFAIK, togas
never did (except for the few toga parties held back in the 70s).

--
Brenda
Bilge Queen of Puzzle Pirates
Old January 6th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Walmart 2006 Projects?

Since I still haven't seen a response to this, I'll chime in with The
Who. "Big Bang Theory" by Styx has a remake of this song.

Joan E. wrote:
Oh, my, yes!!!! I *love* being able to see to eternity. Is it Pink
Floyd who sings, "I can see for miles and miles" ? Or The Who?

--
Brenda
Styx lovin' fiend
Old January 6th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

I might do this for a cheap computer keyboard. For a more expensive
one, I'd immediately suck out as much liquid as possible with a vacuum
(esp. wet/dry variety) and then use the hair dryer. I've had to do this
to a $1000 synthesizer (Mom spilled sweet tea into it) and it worked
just fine. If you do opt to rinse the keyboard, please remember to
unplug it from the machine first!

ages ago lucretia borgia wrote:
Oh dear - not much around the computer survives that stuff. Though I
have heard it said, if the worst happens, there is nothing lost by
quickly holding it under fresh water to wash off the soda, then drying
with a hair dryer. I have never had occasion to try it, but they said
the drying of the soda was worse than the quick clear rinse and
instant dry.

Old January 6th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Dawne Peterson wrote:
"Jangchub" wrote
The Denim's against the Chambrays?

But, but..... what would we wear?? As Mirjam pointed out, olive-coloured
clothes are called uniforms, but if they are olive they can't be denim,
unless they're woven with a white thread, .....
I'm confused. Let's just paint ourselves blue (maybe denim blue) and get
some bagpipers.

Oh WOADn't that be lovely! I'm a dyed-in-the-wool flannel.

Old January 7th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Glad the tea isn't in my hand!

Cheryl

Old January 8th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
On 28 Dec 2005 06:19:35 -.

Come to think of it, wouldn't togas and Mu Mu's represent Roman and
Hawaiin jeans in the sense that they were the garments worn by all the
hoi polloi ?

Coming late to the party, but I believe that muumuus were imposed on the
Hawaiians by the English missionaries (to cover bare breasts). They are
fairly recent, a sarong (sans top) being more traditional "jeans" to that
population.

Ann

--
http://sheepshots.blogspot.com

Old January 8th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Ann wrote:

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message

On 28 Dec 2005 06:19:35 -.

Come to think of it, wouldn't togas and Mu Mu's represent Roman and
Hawaiin jeans in the sense that they were the garments worn by all the
hoi polloi ?

Coming late to the party, but I believe that muumuus were imposed on the
Hawaiians by the English missionaries (to cover bare breasts). They are
fairly recent, a sarong (sans top) being more traditional "jeans" to that
population.

Ann

This is true but the mu'u-mu'u has come to be a *very* important part
of Hawaiian dress for many generations. On Causal Fridays, loads of the
local women wear them to work -- and not just those in the "tourist"
areas. Also, when young women get married, they often wear an
absolutely lovely version of this dress. It's white (of course),
princess seamed and flows out to a very full, long gown with a
self-train. The gown often has "leg-o-mutton" sleeves with narrow
ruffles at the wrists and ruffles also adorn the hem as well as the high
collar. A similar style dress is worn for certain hula dances,
depending on the story being told in the dance.
Like so many other things, some clothing is "historical" as with the
grass skirt -- that isn't really grass but made of large leaves -- ti
leaves IIRC. In today's Island culture & society, mu'u-mu'us are, by
most, now considered a "traditional" form of dress. CiaoMeow ^;;^