Half a buttonhole!!!

Old February 3rd 04, 06:59 PM
tao of elizabth

Default Half a buttonhole!!!

Hello,

I am sorry to ask such a beginner's question, but I figure that
someone else has run into this problem before....

I am using a Kenmore machine with an automatic, one step,
button-loading buttonhole attachment. Here is my problem: the machine
will only sew half the button hole. It does the bottom link, and then
sews straight stitches all way until the level hits the slider. It
never reverses itself.

I don't THINK I am a moron, as I've read the instruction booklet to
no end, and the one step buttonhole attachment is suppose to do this
in one step, so I shouldn't be turning the fabric, etc., right?
Here's what it looks like (roughly) :

I++

Help??

Elizabeth
Old February 4th 04, 02:15 AM
Frosty772

I have to agree as well. I have a janome and if I dont have everything pushed
in and pulled down the buttonholes do not come out completely.

Give it a recheck and try again. That could be what the problem is.
Old February 4th 04, 02:15 PM
tao of elizabth

Hello-

Yes...that 'wee lever' is VERY cleverly hidden by the Kenmore
people.

I found it, but I had to practically do an ultrasound on my
machine. It's too bad that the technical drawings in my manual are so
crappy.

I feel a bit sheepish now, but if I didn't ask some people with
experience, I NEVER would have figured out what was wrong. Thanks so
much!

Elizabeth
Old February 4th 04, 10:52 PM
Maine-iac Rose

just wondering, what model Kenmore do you have? I have the 19001, and my
manual shows pretty good illustrations. I must admit that when I first did
a buttonhole with this machine, quite allot different than the singer that I
had before this one, although it was more a manual buttonhole, where I had
to move a switch to do all 4 steps. I do like this machine, first thing was
that there is a lever that comes down, and into the needle, and if you get
it right on, it threads the needle. now that I'm a bit older, and my
eyesight is not what it use to be, I'm glad for that part.
Maine-iac Rose
@---

Old February 5th 04, 11:17 AM
the other one

"Maine-iac Rose" wrote in message ...
[...]

I have the Kenmore sew 150 with this same buttonhole maker. It got
out of alingment and I have to trip the lever by hand. This is an
easy thing to do. Also, if you have a very large button, you can
leave the buttonhole foot off and use a regular presser foot (I used
the clear one), and trip it by hand to make a buttonhole as long as
you need. Fast, easy, and neat.

Isn't that little threader just a dream?

Gail
Old February 5th 04, 12:30 PM
Maine-iac Rose

"the other one" wrote in message

I have the Kenmore sew 150 with this same buttonhole maker. It got
out of alingment and I have to trip the lever by hand. This is an
easy thing to do. Also, if you have a very large button, you can
leave the buttonhole foot off and use a regular presser foot (I used
the clear one), and trip it by hand to make a buttonhole as long as
you need. Fast, easy, and neat.

Isn't that little threader just a dream?

Gail

I never realized on how to use the regular foot to make larger buttonholes,
but will remember that also. yes the little threader is a dream come true.
The only problem I have is when I get my treadle in working condition, I
have to thread that by hand. Guess I'll look for a manual threader that
will help me along with that, or just get a good magnifying glass.

Maine-iac Rose
@---