dress form question

Old January 28th 04, 04:42 AM
Marilyn

Default dress form question

I have a question for those of you who use dress forms. I had a
"vintage" dress form given to me. It is a Sears Roebuck Magic Fit form
from I would guess the 60s. Never used. All the parts appear to be
there. The little bags of hardware are still sealed. The instructions
are with it. It even had a big dusty bow in it, presumably from
whenever it was gifted to the original owner!
Now up to this point, I haven't used a dress form and hadn't really
considered having one. This one just sort of fell into my possession
from a friend who was cleaning out her mother's attic. Here is my
question: is it worth it to put this together and give it a try? Has
dress form technology changed so that I wouldn't find this at all
helpful? Or is this something like having a vintage Singer, i.e. still
useful?
Thank you for help.

Marilyn in Minnesota

Old January 28th 04, 04:57 AM
zski

Marilyn wrote:
Here is my
question: is it worth it to put this together and give it a try? Has
dress form technology changed so that I wouldn't find this at all
helpful? Or is this something like having a vintage Singer, i.e. still
useful?

I just bought a vintage dress-form on E-bay and I am quite pleased. The
metal stand is much sturdier than the modern plastic ones, and there are
more adjustment points than some of the cheaper modern ones. I named
her Rose, after Gypsy Rose Lee, because ehr job it dressing and
undressing.--
Wendy Z Chicago, IL (Moo)
Wench Wear Costumes http://pages.ripco.net/~zski
Minstrosity www.minstrosity.com
Wench #525 AIM=wendylady525
http://www.livejournal.com/users/wendyzski/
"Though she be but little, she is fierce"
"It's the little ones you have to watch out for..."
"I'm not short - I'm concentrated"

Old January 28th 04, 02:41 PM
Marilyn

Thank you, Wendy and Kate. I think I will give a try at putting her
together this morning. I am probably in possession of one like yours,
Kate. It appears to have wing nuts so I suppose it will take two peope
to adjust. I'll just have to stay one size!
Now, am I going to need group therapy when I put this thing together and
get it sized to my size? Don't we all think of ourselves as some ideal
smaller size we were -er- a few years back? I know that I do. Oh well,
time to face the fact that I'm not svelte. ;-)

Marilyn in Minnesota (highs today of 2 above zero F, Yuck!)

Kate Dicey wrote:

I have 3, all of different vintages and different styles - none newer
than 1985! They all work just fine. One is in metric sizes, one has
none (and wing nuts - takes two to adjust it: one to hold the tape, one
to alter the form!), and the other has dials in inches and cm. They are
snip

Old January 28th 04, 06:05 PM
Trishty

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:57:22 -0600, zski wrote:

Marilyn wrote:
Here is my
question: is it worth it to put this together and give it a try? Has
dress form technology changed so that I wouldn't find this at all
helpful? Or is this something like having a vintage Singer, i.e. still
useful?

I just bought a vintage dress-form on E-bay and I am quite pleased. The
metal stand is much sturdier than the modern plastic ones, and there are
more adjustment points than some of the cheaper modern ones. I named
her Rose, after Gypsy Rose Lee, because ehr job it dressing and
undressing.--

I use a vintage dress form for draping and ideas of what to do with
different fabrics. It's no good for fit, because it's not my size, and
sizing has changed anyway, but I do like the sturdiness of it. They look
nice dressed up in a corner, at the very least. Mine is called Isabella.

Trish
Old January 29th 04, 01:02 AM
zski

Marilyn wrote:
Thank you, Wendy and Kate. I think I will give a try at putting her
together this morning. I am probably in possession of one like yours,
Kate. It appears to have wing nuts so I suppose it will take two peope
to adjust. I'll just have to stay one size!

Actually, I can adjust mine just fine by myself. I live alone, so I have
to. I purposely bought her a bit small so that I cold pad her and put
my Elizabethan corset on her - pointy paper-mache boobs don't squish!

I hope to have pix of my new gown up tomorrow, so you'll get to see her.

Old January 29th 04, 02:31 AM
zski

zski wrote:

I hope to have pix of my new gown up tomorrow, so you'll get to see her.

okay, I lied.

http://www.livejournal.com/community...1.html?#cutid1

Old January 29th 04, 03:14 AM
Angela Moak

Marilyn wrote:

Thank you, Wendy and Kate. I think I will give a try at putting her
together this morning. I am probably in possession of one like yours,
Kate. It appears to have wing nuts so I suppose it will take two
peope to adjust. I'll just have to stay one size!
Now, am I going to need group therapy when I put this thing together
and get it sized to my size? Don't we all think of ourselves as some
ideal smaller size we were -er- a few years back? I know that I do.
Oh well, time to face the fact that I'm not svelte. ;-)

Marilyn in Minnesota (highs today of 2 above zero F, Yuck!)

Marilyn,

I have one with the wingnuts as well. She is actually more adjustable
than the newer one with the dials. It is possible to adjust alone if
you have quite a bit of patience. DH lacks the patience to assist with
the adjusting, so I adjust her myself when I have to.

I have three young women that I sew for frequently. Luckily only the
hip size changes from one to the other. I find both of mine quite useful.

Heed Kate and Cea's warning about putting her in the guest room.
(Especially dressed.) It's quite disturbing to wake up and see her
headless form standing there bathed in moonlight.

Good luck with her,

--
Regards,

Angela

Remove "not" from address to reply.

OT Dress Joke Pat in Virginia Quilting 6 July 14th 04 04:02 AM
New and searching for dress form unbroken Sewing 4 January 23rd 04 05:51 AM
In need of a plus size dress form Jalynne Sewing 4 September 13th 03 11:35 PM
help with antique dress form Filigree00 Sewing 0 August 29th 03 10:00 AM