Totally OT..canned salsa recipe small amount

Old August 11th 12, 01:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default Totally OT..canned salsa recipe small amount

I have two plants on the picnic table at the RV park. I have fed then Miracle grow when I feel kindly.

They are really prolific for 18 inch high plants. I HATE raw tomatoes.I thought I might make a canned salsa out of some of them.(Don't eat salsa either, but DH LOVES tomatoes).

Thinking pint jars in the enamel pot I cook my lobsters in!!

Any ideas????

Gillian
Old August 12th 12, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joyce in RSA

On 2012/08/12 03:13 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 08:03:15 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

Do wish you could freeze it easily - I would make my salsa add a tiny
bit of sugar and salt and lots of cilantro and then freeze it. Come mid
winter, I'd thaw it and strain it for fresh salsa and a wonderful liquid
to marinate chicken or turkey for fajitas

Cheryl

You should try it - when my daughter did my shopping for me after my
knee op I put corn on the list, so she brings me a dozen lol I had
always blanched them and done all those things because of enzymes etc
blah blah blah. I couldn't be standing around doing that then so
discovered, leave the cobs with husks and all in grocery bag, tie
securely and put in freezer.

When you want a piece of corn, remove, nuke for about five minutes on
high, take husk off and voila, corn every bit as good as when it went
in the freezer. So now when there are bogo's I buy in quantity and
start working on them one by one.

So it has taught me to try everything in the freezer at least once and
see what happens. I use extra egg yolks in ice cream and scrambled
eggs, I put the whites in a little corningware dish, freeze and then
put in baggies. I always freeze three whites per time so that nicely
makes a dozen meringues or one nice sized Pavlova. I gather that
works with yolks too.

If tomatoes are frozen whole, they just have to be put into cold water
for the skins to rub off easily. They freeze well whole or cut up,
without blanching, and can then be used to cook anything.

Joyce in RSA.