Prolific Needlework Authors

Old August 5th 03, 07:45 AM
Linn Skinner

Default Prolific Needlework Authors

Some of my favorite needlework writers have several books to their credit.
These include Jan Messent, Constance Howard, Thomasina Beck, Louisa Pesel,
Maggie Lane, Eileen Bennett, Mary Gostelow, Linda Parry, Pat Earnshaw, Beryl
Dean, Grace Christie, Richard Box, Kaffe Fassett, Mary Eirwen Jones, Barbara
Snook, Mary Thomas, Margaret Swain, Erica Wilson, Pamela Clabburn, Santina
Levy.

How many more needlwork designers/writers have 3 or more books to their
credit? How have they added to the body of work on needlework?

Linn Skinner
Skinner Sisters

Old August 5th 03, 11:25 AM
Patricia Rogers

Helen Stevens and Jane Nicholas - both have added books that increase the
confidence of those striving for natural realism in surface embroidery.

Pat in Illinois

Old August 5th 03, 01:25 PM
PaulaB

"Linn Skinner" wrote in message ...
Some of my favorite needlework writers have several books to their credit.
These include Jan Messent, Constance Howard, Thomasina Beck, Louisa Pesel,
Maggie Lane, Eileen Bennett, Mary Gostelow, Linda Parry, Pat Earnshaw, Beryl
Dean, Grace Christie, Richard Box, Kaffe Fassett, Mary Eirwen Jones, Barbara
Snook, Mary Thomas, Margaret Swain, Erica Wilson, Pamela Clabburn, Santina
Levy.

How many more needlwork designers/writers have 3 or more books to their
credit? How have they added to the body of work on needlework?

Linn Skinner
Skinner Sisters

Betty Ring - her knowledge of American sampler and needlework history
is just incredible. I have learned so much about American history by
just reading her books and it's sparked my interest enough that I am
pursuing my DAR membership.

And this recent discussion has been really wonderful, even though I
can't really add anything that hasn't already been said! I have
printed out more this week than in many, many months. Thanks to all
for sharing!
Paula B.
Old August 5th 03, 03:25 PM
Linn Skinner

Jo will certainly be missed. A recent show in the UK had a retrospective of
her work which was a delight to see. You are absolutely right. She made
embroidery approachable for folks.

Linn Skinner
Skinner Sisters

"Dawne Peterson" wrote in message
We would be remiss not to mention the late Jo Verso. Her books encouraged
many people to have a first try at designing by combining and adapting her
simple but clever figures and objects to make something personal. (I
especially remember a Valentine cupid in a magazine with a number of head
options, including a balding one, so you could picture your own sweetie!)
Dawne

Old August 5th 03, 04:54 PM
FKBABB

How many more needlwork designers/writers have 3 or more books to their
credit? How have they added to the body of work on needlework?

Jan Eaton, who posts a freebie on RCTN each month, has done lots of good books
on needlework, including knitting and crochet. She's the one who did the
modern revision of the Mary Thomas stitch dictionary, a book I find very
useful.

Annie