Question - Meander Style Quilting?

Old August 3rd 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NancyB

Default Question - Meander Style Quilting?

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 23:53:03 +0100, Sally Swindells
wrote:

I started meandering on the border of one of my Christmas Quilts for
the first time, but ended up doing more of a Viennese Waltz with
swirls and holly leaves - got quite carried away. My machine is a
Janome 6500 with a darning/free embroidery foot on so I can wizz away
in all directions. Found it very addictive and difficult to know when
to stop!

No long arm machine - no space and I'm quite happy with my Janome.

Your swirls and holly leaves sound beautiful -- your quilts
are all lovely. Thanks for your input; I'm feeling more
confident about giving it a go.
Old August 3rd 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

If you tell us what machine you have,
someone may have specific advice.
One more thing: remember to BREATHE!
PAT

NancyB wrote:

That's good to hear, Pat. I'm really anxious to try it! I
have a "darning plate" so perhaps I have a darning foot.
I must rummage through the accessories that came with the
machine. ::blush::
NancyB
http://community.webshots.com/user/loves2quilt

Old August 3rd 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NancyB

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 08:11:20 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

If you tell us what machine you have,
someone may have specific advice.
One more thing: remember to BREATHE!

Yes, I can see where breathing would definitely help.

My machine is a lowly Kenmore 33-stitch. But it does
have quite a few accessories with it. It needs to be
serviced, and while waiting for that, I've been using my
mother's tiny little Kenmore -- straight stitch, zigzag and
that's about it. But it sews well and has allowed me to
almost complete the baby quilt I'm working on.

That's probably not specific enough to be of much help.
Thanks for your input!

NancyB (NS, Canada)
http://community.webshots.com/user/loves2quilt
Old August 3rd 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NancyB

On 3 Aug 2006 05:25:42 -0700, "Mauvice in central WI"
wrote:

http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/tvt035.asp

Oh my gosh, that video was really helpful! She makes it
look so easy. And I'm thinking it must get harder once
you're working with a pieced top, seams and all? Whatever,
it's excellent and I'm sure I'll replay it a few times. I
like the idea of the empty needle and paper, too, to get the
feel for the movement. Thanks so much!

NancyB (NS, Canada)
http://community.webshots.com/user/loves2quilt
Old August 3rd 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
patandpatty

you can find lots of free "pantographs" (designs for free motion quilting)
on the internet.

it IS fun, whether you're good at it or not. i loved it the first time i
tried it ---- last week.

i ordered a darning foot for my very inexpensive brother machine and it
works very well. i do notice a difference in the stitches when stitching
backwards. but really don't know what to do about it.

patty

"NancyB" wrote in message
Do all you who do such *wonderful* meander style quilting
have a longarm quilter, or do some/many of you do it with
your sewing machine? Just curious...I love the look of it
and do have a walking foot for my machine, but I wondered
how difficult it is? Any quilting I've done to now, I've
done by hand. (I hope this isn't a stupid question...)
Anyone?

NancyB

Old August 4th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NancyB

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 21:24:41 GMT, "patandpatty"
wrote:

i ordered a darning foot for my very inexpensive brother machine and it
works very well. i do notice a difference in the stitches when stitching
backwards. but really don't know what to do about it.

Thanks for sharing, Patty. I'm looking forward to trying
it as well. I will have to get a darning foot for my
machine. I can't wait to play!

NancyB (NS, Canada)
http://community.webshots.com/user/loves2quilt
Old August 4th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Wow, a newbie I think. Welcome to RCTQ
Patty!! We have quite a few Pat- or
Patrick- or Patricia-derivitives here!
(Looks like you have two at your house.)
I'm in Virginia (duh!) where it is HOT
right now.

So, I am asking newbies to hold off on
their chocolate vetting until October.
Then newbies can all send a pound or two
of chocolate to my Palace and I will
taste test it. Just my volunteer job here.

PAT, Official Chocolate Taster for RCTQ

Old August 6th 06, 11:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Sorry, Patty. I didn't spot your initial post.
Here's a welcome from another of the 'Patricia' clan!
My screen name is Patti, but my 'always called' name is Pat.
We have a Pati, from Arizona; and a Patti S. from Seattle. Then there
is Tricia, too. Have I got them all PAT?

It's been hot in the UK, too - and it seems to be warming up again.
..
In message . net,
patandpatty writes
Hello Pat in Virginia! and thanks for making me feel welcomed......

Yes, i'm a newbie to posting (still can't see where my post is) and
quilting (the top is sewn together) -- but not to chocolate
connoisseur-ing.....

btw, you mentioned October....my birthday's in october - and
butterfingers(esp. the new ones), baby ruths, chocolate covered almonds are
all my favorites

till next time,
patty
p.s. is there any place in the US where it isn't hot??? the heat index here
in GA has been 105 to 113 and the humidity stays up well over 50%. going
outside is like walking into a sauna. BUT i'm thankful we're not dodging
bombs -----yet.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 6th 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

patandpatty wrote:
..... till next time,
patty
p.s. is there any place in the US where it isn't hot??? the heat index here
in GA has been 105 to 113 and the humidity stays up well over 50%. going
outside is like walking into a sauna. BUT i'm thankful we're not dodging
bombs -----yet.

OOOO -- where in GA are you? I'm north of the city in Cumming up
near Lake Lanier along GA 400. I know there used to be a bunch of folks
who posted here who live in the HOTlanta area but that was before I
joined up about 6 years ago. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old August 6th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article . net,
"patandpatty" wrote:

p.s. is there any place in the US where it isn't hot??? the heat index here
in GA has been 105 to 113 and the humidity stays up well over 50%. going
outside is like walking into a sauna. BUT i'm thankful we're not dodging
bombs -----yet.

Welcome, Patty! Yup, it's hot here, too. But I can't complain, since
this morning when I went out to get the newspaper at 6:00 it hadn't yet
hit 90°. g That's *cool* for this area. LOL! Walking outside in 115°
(or more) heat here is liking walking into an oven -- no saunas usually,
since it's normally a dry heat. However, lately we've had our share of
humidity, too -- up to 20%. I know that doesn't sound like much, but
when you're not used to double-digit humidity, it's a shocker. g

But the cooler weather is on the way -- eventually! And our winters
are *wonderful*!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1