Have it Your Way

Old August 5th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther

Default Have it Your Way

I needed to make a new baby girl quilt and Marsha McCloskey's 'Blended
Quilts' has been calling to me for a long time. You can see her book over
at Big Horn if you are not familiar with these patterns. Marsha's quilts
are beautiful but entirely too sedate for what I think a baby will enjoy. I
used pale pink, peach pink, hot pink, floral, sherbet plaid, wavy checks and
tossed in a handful of purple roses. Adding a bit of lime and some orange
made it just sing. Ah. I don't know what Marsha and the Quilt Police would
think of my interpretation of Blended Quilts but it was great fun to take a
pattern and make it mine. Polly

Old August 5th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther

Talking to myself here. Getting my arrangement down from the design wall
and stitched in order was quite a challenge. I used a trick I'd seen and
heard of but never tried. I marked numbers on some bright yellow daisy-head
pins and seriously pinned each block. Seriously pinned means 'in/out then
in/out again'. Pressing didn't seem to harm the pins and I was able to get
my symphony back up without anything spinning off key. Polly

ink.net...

Old August 5th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Do we get to see pictures? I have a baby girl quilt to make by November and
so far I don't have an inspiration.
KJ

Old August 5th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther

How I wish I could, KJ, but don't have a way to do that. I feel just very
blessed that I get to share words with my friends. Do keep this in mind for
inspiration - think pink and right alongside that thought, think dynamite.
What's the song? I am Woman, hear me roar. Polly

"KJ" wrote Do we get to see pictures? I have a baby girl quilt to make

Old August 5th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AliceW

You go girl! Don't know anything about "blended quilts" but I saw the
"purple rose" and lime and orange and thought - "well , ok, then". The wine
helped. Don't worry about the Quilt Police, I saw them heading out of town
after a bunch of ner' do wells talking on their cell phones while driving,
so they are plenty occupied!

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us/

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
ink.net...
:I needed to make a new baby girl quilt and Marsha McCloskey's 'Blended
: Quilts' has been calling to me for a long time. You can see her book over
: at Big Horn if you are not familiar with these patterns. Marsha's quilts
: are beautiful but entirely too sedate for what I think a baby will enjoy.
: used pale pink, peach pink, hot pink, floral, sherbet plaid, wavy checks
and
: tossed in a handful of purple roses. Adding a bit of lime and some orange
: made it just sing. Ah. I don't know what Marsha and the Quilt Police
would
: think of my interpretation of Blended Quilts but it was great fun to take
: pattern and make it mine. Polly
:
:

Old August 5th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article . net,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

I needed to make a new baby girl quilt and Marsha McCloskey's 'Blended
Quilts' has been calling to me for a long time. You can see her book over
at Big Horn if you are not familiar with these patterns. Marsha's quilts
are beautiful but entirely too sedate for what I think a baby will enjoy. I
used pale pink, peach pink, hot pink, floral, sherbet plaid, wavy checks and
tossed in a handful of purple roses. Adding a bit of lime and some orange
made it just sing. Ah. I don't know what Marsha and the Quilt Police would
think of my interpretation of Blended Quilts but it was great fun to take a
pattern and make it mine. Polly

And what's wrong with that? g Your version is no doubt brighter than
Marsha's, but it's still blended, isn't it? And making a pattern your
own is admirable -- far too many of us simply make a carbon copy of what
we see somewhere else. (Note to self: no wonder I'm not happy with my
hummingbird quilt!)
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old August 5th 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie NJ

Hi Polly,

I bet your baby quilt is a beauty! Blending is a technique and you just did
it your way!

One word of caution about the daisy head pins - they can and do melt! BTDT
;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old August 5th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther

Thank you, Bonnie. I'll take your warning very seriously. There are
16-patches in this little quilt and I really and truly want every piece to
stay in place until it's all stitched together. Polly

"Bonnie NJ" wrote, in part

Old August 6th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anna Belle

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 12:44:00 GMT, "Bonnie NJ"
wrote:

Hi Polly,

I bet your baby quilt is a beauty! Blending is a technique and you just did
it your way!

One word of caution about the daisy head pins - they can and do melt! BTDT
;-)

If you are not careful, you can also sew through them. BTDT too.
Anna Belle
Old August 6th 06, 08:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate Dicey

wrote:

Hi Polly,

I bet your baby quilt is a beauty! Blending is a technique and you just did
it your way!

One word of caution about the daisy head pins - they can and do melt! BTDT
;-)

If you are not careful, you can also sew through them. BTDT too.
Anna Belle

Ho yusss... But I've also sewn through the heads of safety pins, so
there's no escape there, either!

Clover do some horribly expensive flower head pins that I have yet to
melt, even on the linen setting.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!