Rug Yarn

Old August 21st 05, 04:00 PM
Cheryl

Default Rug Yarn

I was referred to this NG as a possible source of expertise. I hope someone
can help.

I have a rug making machine that is not unlike a knitting machine to
operate. Unfortunately the only rug-making yarn I can find is precut into
short lengths for hand knotting using a latch-hook.

Does anyone know of a source for heavy yarns in balls, skeins or hanks
suitable for rugmaking?

Most grateful for any information

--
Cheryl

Old August 22nd 05, 05:31 AM
shelly

Do you have a tapimatic machine?
aunt lydia's rug yarn at hobby lobby, and joanne fabric not much
color choice
halcynonyarns has rug yarn
http://www.halcyonyarn.com/Yarn_pages/yarn001.html
blick art materials
http://www.dickblick.com
have you tried using several strands of worsted weight yarn or a
couple of strands bulky?

Old August 22nd 05, 09:34 AM
Cheryl

Yes it is a tapimatic

Thanks so much for links. I tried several strands but it wasn't very
successful. I actually thought I might have to throw the machine out!

Thankyou Shelley

--
Cheryl ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^

Old August 22nd 05, 02:07 PM
posey

Hi,
There is a rug making concern in Hendersonville, NC that sells cones of yarn
of all types out of its attic above the showroom. If you're not in that
area, you might try other rug makers, asking if they sell their excess
yarns.

Posey

Old August 23rd 05, 12:58 AM
Cheryl

Thanks
I'm actually in Australia

--
Cheryl ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^

Old August 28th 05, 04:46 AM
chantelle

Hi,

I see one of those tipimatic rug makers on ebay. according to her listing,
you can use any kind of yarn. take a look at the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pfaff-Tapimatic-... QcmdZViewItem

Old August 28th 05, 06:33 AM
Cheryl

Yes, you can. But it must be a continuous yarn, and these days most rug
yarn is sold in pre-cut lengths for hand latch hooking. And using anything
but rug yarn would not be advisable as the finished rug would not wear well.

However, thanks to previous answers I have managed to source some yarn. My
thanks to all who responded.
--

Cheryl

Need name of yarn Linda Yarn 8 April 8th 04 06:05 PM
Using Homespun question Denise Yarn 8 January 8th 04 04:09 PM
My yarn addiction Elsa Yarn 24 December 17th 03 05:30 AM
FA Lots of Vintage Yarn! Noru, Pingouin, Lopi, More! DorothyRose1912 Marketplace 0 November 14th 03 03:19 AM
Aaaaaaaagghhh!! Slippery yarn rant... CMM PDX2 Yarn 8 September 1st 03 07:27 PM