Needle sizes?

Old August 30th 07, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Default Needle sizes?

I bought some Addi Turbo's size 1 [16 inch] circs at least that's what it
says on the package, anyway they looked the same size as my 2's so I used a
needle gauge and the tip won't fit in the number 1 slot but does in number 2
but not snug like the wooden dpns I have. I tried my number 2's and they
won't go into the slot either but will in the 3's So my question is this the
norm with addi's?

Old August 30th 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

suzee wrote:
DAB wrote:
I bought some Addi Turbo's size 1 [16 inch] circs at least that's
what it says on the package, anyway they looked the same size as my
2's so I used a needle gauge and the tip won't fit in the number 1
slot but does in number 2 but not snug like the wooden dpns I have. I
tried my number 2's and they won't go into the slot either but
will in the 3's So my question is this the norm with addi's?

That's what I've heard, they're a size between the `standard' 1s and
2s. A mm gauge will tell you which they are.

sue

Ok that's what I noticed so it's normal and I guess it all boils down to
doing a gauge swatch.

Old August 30th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

Yes, mine are the same way. I refer to them as 1.5 and 2.5 US now. It is
annoying but, like you say, it doesn't really matter what size they are as
long as they get you the gauge you want when you swatch!

LauraJ

Old August 30th 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Wooly wrote:
DAB wrote:
I bought some Addi Turbo's size 1 [16 inch] circs at least that's
what it says on the package, anyway they looked the same size as my
2's so I used a needle gauge and the tip won't fit in the number 1
slot but does in number 2 but not snug like the wooden dpns I have. I
tried my number 2's and they won't go into the slot either but
will in the 3's So my question is this the norm with addi's?

The Addi package ought to have on it the millimeter size as well as
the US size. I don't pay attention to US sizing any more as it
doesn't always mean what one thinks it ought to mean. Millimeters are
millimeters are millimeters, however.

Yes it has both and I will just go by my swatch gauge.....I tend to knit
lose so if the pattern says size 7 I use 5's with worsted weight to get the
correct gauge if size is important....stuff like dishcloths and baby hats I
use whatever size makes the yarn look and feel the way I like.

Old August 30th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Well addi's are my faves for reg stuff and woods for socks....now I will be
checking all my needlesG

Old October 18th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article V3HBi.7642$Yg.1595@trnddc07, DAB Buckeye wrote:
Well addi's are my faves for reg stuff and woods for socks....now I will be
checking all my needlesG

I think I once saw a sign in a knitting shop that was from Addi, saying they
just put the "closest" US size on their needles and they don't care that it
isn't accurate.

I have a collection of old double point needles and they are all different
sizes. Even a millimeter gauge isn't fine enough to distinguish among some
of them. I have a brass gauge from Sandy Terp but I really want a micrometer
that goes down to .001mm.

Gauge swatches are absolutely necessary, and remember to wash and block the
swatch too. It can make a huge difference.

=Tamar

Laura J wrote:
Yes, mine are the same way. I refer to them as 1.5 and 2.5 US now. It
is annoying but, like you say, it doesn't really matter what size
they are as long as they get you the gauge you want when you swatch!

"DAB" Buckeye
wrote

Old October 19th 07, 06:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Tamar i make swatches , but never wash them for the measres , i have a
general idea of hpw much they will shrink , Contemporary threads don`t
shrink as much as older ones , and even those should not if taken well
care of ,,, Yesterday met a woman i know and she had this WONDERFUL
vest , i said congrats on new vest , she smiled and said :Although it
looks hand knit is isn`t she bought it at Marks&Spencer 20 years ago
,,, washing it with Baby shampoo [ like i do ]....
mirjam

Laura J wrote:
Yes, mine are the same way. I refer to them as 1.5 and 2.5 US now. It
is annoying but, like you say, it doesn't really matter what size
they are as long as they get you the gauge you want when you swatch!

"DAB" Buckeye wrote