refugees in TX

Old October 7th 05, 07:06 AM
DrQuilter

wait.. how old are you again Polly????? Your DAUGHTER has 5
grandchildren????

Polly Esther wrote:

Ah, no. Tina. DD2 is not a child although she will always be our baby. She
has 5 grandchildren and it would be lovely if she were just shopping for
Christmas happys for the little ones. That is not where life finds us this
year. But she does us proud, so proud, with her strength and faith. Polly

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old October 7th 05, 01:49 PM
Polly Esther

Oh my yes, our youngest daughter has five grandchildren. And I don't tell
my age. If I did, they'd make me get a walker with bumper padding; might
even think I should give up skydiving and my Harley. Polly

Old October 7th 05, 02:19 PM
Queen of Squishies

Oh just let them TRY to take your Harley! That would be a lost cause, I can
tell you.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old October 7th 05, 02:27 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

We had a mule who used to do that when we children played marbles. Her name
was Jenny and she was lazy. Daddy had to hide the harness when he went to
catch her because she would run away as far as she could to keep from being
put to work. Once caught and put in a bridle she would go where ever you
led her. We loved her and treated her like a pet dog.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
nk.net...
Today's other Katrina story goes this way:
DD2: Mama, did you ever wash clothes with three horses?
Polly: Well, no. Don't think I ever did.
DD2: Did you know horses are as nosy as cats?
Polly: No, I didn't know that.
DD2: I was down at my neighbor's garage - she still has a washing
machine that works and she has to keep her horses in the garage because
the fence is down and there's no other place to keep them.
They stuck their heads over my shoulder and watched every move I made.
You just ought to try it.
Polly

"Tina" wrote in message
ps.com...
Polly, I just love your "Swamp Hurricane notes"!
Next time a hurricane is headed our way - I'm gonna come ride it out
with YOU and the gators!

Tina, have canned goods and water, will travel
not on I-10 though

Old October 7th 05, 02:30 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

But what memories to share with the drylanders when they get back home.
These stories will be told and retold - with much embroidery, if there like
my cop friends here in Arkansas - for many years to come.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
ink.net...
So glad you happened through here, Sandy. Can't you just see the Las Vegas
PD saying, "You need us to w-h-a-t?".
Gives a whole new meaning to the question, "And how was your day?".
Polly

"Sandy Foster" wrote in message
In article et,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

This looks like as good a place as any to toss in a Swamp hurricane
note.
Today's paper shows the law enforcement guys with guns in hand. They
were
keeping an eye out for the gators while the power company crews were
trying
to pull the power poles back upright. Now, that ought to be something
for
the Las Vegas PD to tell their grandchildren about. I can just hear it
now.
Polly

LOL! Me too! The grandkids will never believe it! g

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Old October 7th 05, 04:37 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
You said it, Tina!

Many of the churches have Plans on-going, long-term
that have been in place for years to take care of emergencies,
nationwide.

The Friday Hurricane Rita was headed in, 2 big trucks full
of relief supplies left the Metroplex, one from a D.of.C church
in Dallas, the other from our church (1st Christian) here in Arlington,
headed into the storm area, to help start the rescue plan.
Instead of standing around talking about it.
Instead of waiting for a t.v. camera to show up first.
btw, New Covenant Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
in Houston is one of our sister churches.

We have thousands of evacuees here in n.Tx.;
some plan to stay long-term. (DH is very happy w/ "the new guy"
from an MB dealership in New Orleans who is re-settling in Dallas.)

Mostly, people have just "stepped up" and helped where they could.
Just as the quilters have, all over the place. The planning hasn't
stopped; new resources are lined up every day.
'Cause hurricanes aren't new to the Gulf coast. ;-)

Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy

"Tina" wrote in message
oups.com...
OMG - anyone wanting to help should contact their local church or a
branch of their denomination here locally. The churches are the people
who just get off their ass and go help these people without waiting on
all the beurocratic red tape, B.S.

That is why my friend went yesterday, he is the minister of New
Covenant First Christian Church here in Houston and they were ASKED to
come help whenever and for however long they could!

Tina, in Houston

Old October 7th 05, 06:39 PM
Tina

Sandy, you're a D of C too? How Cool!

And I am so proud and happy to know they are a sister church.

The minister of New Covenant and I, have been friends for years. He
was the minister of the FC of Alvin when I was married and lived down
there. Two years ago, he married my current DH and I! And his
daughter stays at my house after school and on nights when he has to
work at the hospital or go out of town.

Here's to my new Covenant of friends!
Tina

Old October 7th 05, 10:44 PM
Kellie J. Berger

In addition to checking with your church/synagog/whathaveyouplaceofworship
some other Assistance Ministries in the Houston area:

http://www.namonline.org/

http://www.whamministries.org/index.cfm?menuitemid=122

http://www.houstonfoodbank.org/aboutus/agencies.htm

Tomball Emergency Assistance Ministries
Cypress Assistance Ministries
St. Vincent dePaul

and many other opportunities to help and for help can be located on this
page
http://www.marianland.com/houston_flood_disaster.htm

no affiliation, yada yada
--
-- Kellie
kjbeanne at yahoo dot com
m...

Old October 7th 05, 10:50 PM
Sandy Foster

In article . net,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

So glad you happened through here, Sandy. Can't you just see the Las Vegas
PD saying, "You need us to w-h-a-t?".
Gives a whole new meaning to the question, "And how was your day?".
Polly

Ah, but the day was fine, Polly! It was the nights, with the flashlights
and the alligators, that were a bit "unusual"....

Old October 8th 05, 12:16 AM
Musicmaker

You can tell your friend that the situation in Beaumont is beginning to
stabilize. People are allowed in, but there is a 5 pm curfew so the
few businesses that are open are all closing early. There remains a
large number of homes and businesses without power but they have made
great inroads on cleaning the place up. The was a lot more wind/tree
damage than anticipated but VERY little flooding. St. Elizabeth's
Hospital ER had 3 feet of water in the ER, but they're in a bad spot.
Our facility in Port Arthur had no flooding and the power was turned on
Tuesday night. Like everyone else, we had a lot of wind damage but
nothing substantial, (other than the gazebo is just gone). About 20 of
our patients have come back, but we can only accept a limited number
right now because we can not locate all our staff, and many of those we
can reach can't come home because they have no power. I just spoke
with our Director of Nursing who live! s in Nederland, and she can not
live in her home due to mold issues (rain came in through the damaged
roof). She is sleeping at the nursing home and has sent all 4 kids to
live with other people in TX and Florida. School will not resume until
11/1. If your friends are still having trouble reaching family down
there, they are probably still evacuated. Area code 409 land line
service is mostly restored, but the cell coverage is spotty at best.
If they are trying to call a cell and get "channel unavailable" tell
them to keep redialing and it will eventually go through. If their
family is still evacuated, tell them to stay there for at least another
week. Basic services are extremely limited. Ice and food are at a
premium. The closest available hotel room is Galveston (2 hours away).
1 hospital is fully functioning, (Renaissance - although packed), and
the others are running on an emergency service only status. On! ly 1
ambulance company is in operation but they are short staffed. I would
wait till the curfew is lifted and power restored. I wouldn't want to
live there as long as the National Guard is still running everything.

Tell all your friends good luck, and thanks from all of us in Texas!

chris