Odd Sweater Pattern

Old July 5th 05, 05:40 AM
Allaya Diep

Default Odd Sweater Pattern

Hello everybody!

I hope everybody had a great weekend. I'm working on a sweater that has
some interesting instructions. I'm pretty sure one of them is just a
typo, or at least not clearly written, but this part kind of perplexes
me; I was wondering if any of you could give me any insight as to why
the pattern was written this way.

I'm working on this pattern from Berroco:
http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/june/june.html

When working the front panels of the cardigan, it asks you to put some
stitches on a holder for the front button bands and then knit those in a
rib pattern AFTER you've knitted the body of the panel:

Next Row (RS): K36(40-46-52-56-60), sl remaining 7 sts onto holder for
frontband. Beg with a p row, work even in St st until piece measures 4”
from beg, end on WS. Mark end of last row for side slit. Work even until
piece measures 18 1/2” from beg, end on WS. ...

....FINISHING
Left Frontband: With RS facing, sl 7 sts from holder onto smaller
needles. Join yarn and inc 1 st, work in ribbing to end – 8 sts. Work
even in ribbing as established until frontband, when slightly stretched,
reaches to beg of neck shaping, end on WS, dec 1 st at end of last row –
7 sts. Sl sts back onto holder. Sew inside edge of frontband to front
edge of sweater. Mark placement of 7 buttons evenly spaced along
frontband, the first opposite 1st buttonhole worked in ribbing of right
front and the last 2 1/2” below sts on holder.

Now for my question. Why is it that they want you to knit the front
bands separately from the body of the panel? My first inclination would
be to just continue knitting those 7 stitches in the rib pattern. Is
there a structural reason for this? Thanks for your help!

Allaya
Old July 5th 05, 12:36 PM
Christine in Kent, Garden of England

Hi Allaya it's probably because they want you to knit the ribbed bands on
smaller needles so that they're a bit stretched when sewn on, to avoid the
"frilly button band" look. I think that's a fairly old fashioned idea, I
haven't seen it for a while but it actually works on looser knit things
HTH
Love Christine

Old July 5th 05, 02:56 PM
suzee

Christine in Kent, Garden of England wrote:

Hi Allaya it's probably because they want you to knit the ribbed bands on
smaller needles so that they're a bit stretched when sewn on, to avoid the
"frilly button band" look. I think that's a fairly old fashioned idea, I
haven't seen it for a while but it actually works on looser knit things
HTH
Love Christine

I've seen these kinds of instructions too, though never made one.
Wouldn't stretching the band make the sweater sort of pull in along the
band edge when they're sewn together?

sue