quilt retreat - long

Old March 19th 04, 12:39 AM
Sherry Starr

Default quilt retreat - long

Our quilt guild had a wonderful retreat in East Texas last weekend.
Everyone had a great time until around 4AM Sunday morning. My roommate had
gotten up to use the bathroom, came back to her bed, blew her nose, laid
down, then started screaming "Help me, help me, my head is exploding." I
rushed over to her, and she was obviously in pain. I turned on the light,
and she wasn't wild about that, but I couldn't see. I grabbed my cell
phone, yelled for other members, and called 911. At this point, she was
unable to speak, just grunt. They were there quickly, probably within 15
minutes. Remember, we were in a small town, and we were 6 miles outside
that town. I rode in the ambulance with her to the Longview Hospital.
Another quild member followed in her car. I had her purse with her
insurance card, and the phone number of her daughter. The doctors called
her daughter immediately. It was going to take her about 2.5 hours to get
there. My friend was able to communicate enough by gestures that she did
not want to be intubated. The doctors told me that she had suffered a
massive stroke at the brain stem, and that there was no hope for her. Of
course, she was in a coma by this time. They only had oxygen on her. When
her daughter arrived, she confirmed that she was not to be put on life
support. My friend passed away on Tuesday evening. My heart is broken, and
I am devastated. It has been a tough few days, but each day gets a little
better. There will be a Memorial Service for her on Saturday. Her 3 other
children had arrived by late Sunday night, so at least they were there with
her.
Sherry Starr

Old March 19th 04, 01:13 AM
Marcella Tracy Peek

Oh dear! I am so sorry this happened. What quick thinking you had to
grab her purse and her daughters phone number. I'm very sorry you lost
your dear friend.

Many hugs for you!
marcella

Old March 19th 04, 01:15 AM
Mystified One

I'm sorry you lost your friend. At least she was doing something she
enjoyed doing before this happened. I have a friend who lost her mother
this way, and it was hard on them.

Is there anything else you can do for the family, like finishing her quilt
for them?

Old March 19th 04, 02:29 AM
JG

(((((Sherry)))))
--
Ginger (in SE Texas)

Old March 19th 04, 04:09 AM
Sherry Starr

She was working on a wall hanging for one of her sons and his wife. I have
the wall hanging. She was just going to stitch in the ditch, and turn the
backing to the front. She did not know how to machine stitch in the ditch,
and I was going to show her how. I talked to her daughter today, and she is
going to talk to her brother tomorrow. She said she would try to call me
tomorrow. If I don't hear from her, she wants me to bring it with me to the
memorial on Saturday, and we will talk about it then. She said she thinks
he would want it finished, but she wants to ask him since it will be his.
Sherry

Old March 19th 04, 05:41 AM
shhdesigns

Oh Sherry, how sad for you, but wonderful you could help your friend in her
final moments. I'm sure her family is proud to call you a friend.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.
Queen of the Travelogues.

Old March 19th 04, 09:21 AM
Patti

Oh Sherry
That is truly terrible.
I can honestly empathise, as a friend of mine had a fatal asthma attack,
as I held her in my arms.
Time will ease the pain, of course; but do be prepared for flashbacks
and things. They may not happen, but just be ready so that you are not
too scared if they do.
..
In article Iqq6c.37886$SR1.44032@attbi_s04, Sherry Starr
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old March 19th 04, 12:59 PM
Polly Esther

Sherry, that's happened to me too. It is probably something that you will
carry in your heart forever. Keep reminding yourself that she was on a quilt
retreat doing something she loved to do. Remembering you in my prayers and
with deep sympathy, Polly

.

Old March 19th 04, 01:38 PM
Mauvice Murphy

Sherry, My heart goes out to you and her family.
Too sad.

--
Mauvice in Central WI USA
remove no spam to reply