Embroidery Machines

Old September 30th 05, 10:35 AM
Mika

Default Embroidery Machines

I have decided that I'm going to get an inexpensive embroidery machine in
the next couple of weeks that I can learn and practice on. So I was
wondering what you all would recommend. I am leaning toward just getting the
Brother Disney machine. Does anyone have this machine? If so, what is it
like? Do you like it? Is it easy to use and understand? Would you recommend
it?

Because of a nasty experience earlier this year, I refuse to go to the Pfaff
dealer at JoAnn's and get a White machine. So what else is available that is
a good, inexpensive beginner embroidery machine?

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

Old September 30th 05, 11:34 AM
I.E.Z.

"Mika" wrote in message
I have decided that I'm going to get an inexpensive embroidery machine in
the next couple of weeks that I can learn and practice on. So I was
wondering what you all would recommend. I am leaning toward just getting
the Brother Disney machine. Does anyone have this machine? If so, what is
it like? Do you like it? Is it easy to use and understand? Would you
recommend it?

Because of a nasty experience earlier this year, I refuse to go to the
Pfaff dealer at JoAnn's and get a White machine. So what else is available
that is a good, inexpensive beginner embroidery machine?

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

I have the Brother 180D embroidery machine that I bought about three years
ago. I would highly recommend it. It embroiders beautifully. It is
limited to a 4"x4" field, but you can get a three-section hoop that will
allow you to do designs that are up to 4" by 6 1/2" or so. I have used it
extensively and sold item's I've made with it.

You should look into getting an Ultimate Box and a card or two, instead of
buying pricy design cards. You can download almost anything you want from
the net, mostly for free. There are other sites that, for a monthly fee,
allow you to download unlimited designs. I recommend
http://www.embroidery.dk/ Another good investment is Embird.
http://www.secretsof.com/content/1798 This is a reasonably priced
basic program that will allow you to view, resize, and combine designs.
There are add-ons that you can explore, but the basic program is all you
really need.

Last month I took my 180D in for a routine service. I ended up going home
with a new Brother Innovis 1500D, which is also a sewing machine as well as
embroidery machine. It's quite a bit more advanced and has a field of
6"x10". But I find recently, I'm doing 4x4 designs anyway, because that
what fits into the items I'm making on commission. However, the option of
the larger field is great, and I'm sure I'll make use of it.

I bought both of my machines (as well as a Janome 2600P) at Pocono Sew & Vac
in Stroudsburg, PA. The saleslady there said "I sew on Janome and I
embroider on Brother." I agree with this assessment and I also have a ten
year old Bernina and a Pfaff with dual feed, both of while I also use. I
should note that this store sells everything, including Pfaff, Viking,
Bernina, Elna, and Singer.

Other good links:

http://www.marathonusa.com/ for thread and needles (buy'em by the 100
and change often)

http://www.melcomart.com/ stabilizer and neb bobbins (I almost
forgot - I always use the prewounds - they give better results IMHO.)

http://www.terradonunlimited.com/ lots of stuff

Also a newsgroup: alt.sewing.mach-embroider

Free free to e-mail me if you have any other questions.

Iris

Old September 30th 05, 12:15 PM
Roberta

Wow that is a lot of great information!! Someday I would like an
embroidery machine - I am saving your post for future reference!

Roberta (in VA)

Old October 1st 05, 11:08 AM
Mika

Thank you so much for all the information Iris. It sure helps to have input
from those with experience. I forwarded this message to my email so I can
keep the links for future reference.

Old October 14th 05, 03:38 PM
Bonnie Patterson

When my time for that embroidery machine I have chosen Brother, I'm
not sure of Disney but definitely Brother.

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA