Hand sewing thread

Old July 13th 10, 12:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Default Hand sewing thread

I just saw a great tip for hand sewing on "Martha's Sewing Room" tv program.
Run the thread thru beeswax and then iron the thread. The heat makes the
beeswax penetrate into the thread and it's not wiped off on the fabric after
a few stitches of the thread are pulled thru the fabric. She also says that
silk thread won't knot or break or come unthreaded from the needle with this
method. hmmmm.... that sounds almost too good to be true! ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old July 13th 10, 02:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ruby

Ironing thread is way to advanced for me. LOL! But i imagine it works
well. makes sense anyway.
Ruby

Old July 13th 10, 02:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

There's a similar technique I learned from Martha Pullen called 'stripping'
or 'stranding'. ( I forget and we don't care.)
You cut embroidery floss to practical lengths - about 15". Take them
apart, place them on a towel and give them a whoosh of spray starch. When
dry, the threads are much more agreeable to stitch with and look lots
prettier.
If you had a major production such as redwork quilt blocks, it would
surely be worth the time.
I will try the beeswax/ironing idea the next time I'm stitching goofy
eyes on sheep or something. Thank you, Leslie. Polly

"Ruby" Ironing thread is way to advanced for me. LOL! But i imagine it
works
well. makes sense anyway.

Old July 13th 10, 02:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I just got a new iron and made a new iron board cover and it still sounds
like too much work. My hand work will never be notable though. All the
little stuff like this I won't do might be why.
Taria

Old July 13th 10, 03:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

My ironing board cover is well scorched and split right down the middle. Do
you suppose it might be time to replace it? Polly

Old July 13th 10, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Oh yes. A new ironing board cover is a fun bright spot in the sewing room.
I had some leftover fabric from the curtain and sewing machine covers so now
they all coordinate. No scorch marks. Looks good. Cheap
thrills.
Taria

Old July 14th 10, 03:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Preparing thread for hand-stitching or embroidery reminds me of the story
about the guy chopping down a tree. He had been struggling, sweating,
swearing and not making much in the way of progress. Somebody dared to ask,
"Why don't you sharpen your axe?"
"Don't have time," growled the guy. =) Polly

Old July 14th 10, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Yep, beeswax needs to be warmed into the fibers of the thread to work.
G In the old days of not as tightly wound spools of thread, the
whole spool would be dropped into melted beeswax until soaked through.
The basis of the "glazed" thread. G

However, I prefer using Thread Heaven, which is made to work into the
fibers with just finger heat. G Lots faster and easier, especially
when not near a heat source. Thread Heaven is a silicon based product
that work well for me. I have even tamed rayon embroidery thread with
it.

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx

Old July 14th 10, 04:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Hey, now. Really? I had no idea rayon embroidery thread had ever been
tamed with anything. That stuff has a life of its own. Polly

"Pati, in Phx"