OT Noxious plant warning

Old July 11th 10, 02:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT Noxious plant warning

Sharing this from my gardening forum.

Giant Hogweed has expanded it's territory. This is a large and unique
looking plant with caustic sap. The plant is on the DO NOT TOUCH! list as
it can cause what amounts to second or third degree burns to the skin
within 24 hours of contact, contact with the eyes can result in temporary
or permanent blindness. It's range in the US has mostly been the mid-
atlantic states plus Washington DC, and lower new england. In Canada it
was thought to mostly be confined to south central Ontario. In addition
there were scattered reports of the junk in Oregon, Washington state, and
BC. Here is the updated range map from the USDA:
http://plants.usda.gov/maps/large/HE/HEMA17.png
The green parts are where it is considered established now. There have
been reports of it in Newfoundland and the bits of new england where it
is not considered established.

Some additional info:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/39809.html

Thought you ought to know.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old July 11th 10, 05:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Now see, there are benefits to living in the desert.
This stuff doesn't look like it will grow here. I appreciate the warning
just in case they let me out though. : )

Have you seen any of this stuff. Looks kind of neat but
sheesh that is scary.
Taria

Old July 11th 10, 06:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Jul 11, 12:15*am, "Taria" wrote:
Now see, there are benefits to living in the desert.

Yeah, like Valley Fever? We had to cancel a trip to Phoenix with our
QI because of it....

Old July 11th 10, 09:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

It's taking over the world! We have this too. Fortunately not in my
garden (yet).
Roberta in D

Old July 11th 10, 12:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Yep, I have seen it.
If you look at the NY map I live on some green dots, or close enough to
make no never mind.

Deserts have their own stuff.
One of the reasons that we moved back to a place where water falls from
the sky, other than my sinuses, is that DH seems to be rather allergic to
choya. There was just no getting away from that stuff either. The
thorns get tracked into the house on the bottom of your shoes and it is
_everywhere_. The lawn, or what passed for one, seemed to be entirely
composed of tightly packed choya thorns, and the miserable things are
shaped like caltrops so it gets you no matter what. Poor DH seemed to
be swollen up somewhere on his body all the time, he was just miserable
with it.

NightMist

Old July 11th 10, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

But I am in the high desert of So. Cal. I only hear
of folks that get Valley Fever in other areas. I could be wrong but my
corner of the desert seems safe. Might be the cold winters here. It is in
areas surrounding us though. The map covereage looks pretty big and includes
us. I'll have to ask next time I am at the drs.
We don't have fleas here either. Unless you bring them from in from other
areas to your house they can't take the low humidity. That makes a
pretty pleasant area for pets, except the heat.
Taria

Old July 11th 10, 03:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I never have heard anyone being allergic to the stuff or it being that much
of a
problem. Chollas was a problem in San Diego. They didn't call the little
neighborhood lake Chollas Lake for nothing. We don't have it here in the
high desert, naturally anyway. I have a pot of the stuff out front.
Never
occurred to me it was problematic. DH picked up a hunk of it down in
Riverside county a few years ago. I am on the edge of the Mojave desert
along the San Bernardino and San Gabriel mountains. Our climate is
very different here. We are about 3300 ft. elavation. Think Roy Rogers
and Joshua trees. BTW, Roy Rogers home is for sale @ about 750K
if anyone is interested.
I have spent the last few minutes looking at my book on California nature.
There is a lot in it I have never seen. Pretty big state with a lot of
different
types of areas.
Thanks for the heads up NM.
Taria

Old July 11th 10, 03:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 00:33:33 -0500, Dr. Zachary Smith wrote
(in article
):

On Jul 11, 12:15*am, "Taria" wrote:
Now see, there are benefits to living in the desert.

Yeah, like Valley Fever? We had to cancel a trip to Phoenix with our
QI because of it....

Okay, I have to ask. What is Valley Fever?

A fair part of my family including DSis, DBIL, and various aunts and cousins
live in AZ and they all swear that this disease exsists. MSM, who is a
nurse, has never heard of it and poo-poo'd the idea that DFather contracted
Valley Fever on one of their extended visits to AZ.

Maureen

Old July 11th 10, 04:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_2_]

My understanding is that it's a fungal infection that results from infected soil being stirred up by wind, and
then people breathe in the fungi. A couple of years ago, DH returned from a one-month stay in Arizona, and
among other things, complained of shortness of breath. An x-ray showed something in his lungs. A biopsy
confirmed it was NOT Valley Fever, but rather another type of infection that eventually cleared on its own.
But it definitely does exist (at least according to our doctor and the Mayo Clinic).
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old July 11th 10, 06:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Valley Fever is, as Louise says, a fungal infection of the lungs. If
you live in the Arizona desert, or visit for any length of time, you
probably have had VF. Growing up it was not a big deal. There is a
"scratch" test to determine if you have or have had it. Mine was one
of the fastest and most swollen positives that my doctor had seen. G
(I was born in Tucson, have spent most of my life in Tucson and
Phoenix.)
A severe case of Valley Fever, or in some people/animals can be
deadly. But that is rare as far as I know. My sister had a Great Dane
pup that had to be put to sleep because of VF, but that breed is very
susceptible.
Whenever VF comes up as a big deal on a TV show (did on "Bones" a
while back) we always wonder why. Lock downs and quarantines and
such.... sigh.

Yes the spores are in the dust and get riled up with construction or
dust storms. you breathe them in and get the disease. If you are
reasonable healthy and so on, you don't even notice. If you do get
sick there are treatments, including a lot of rest.

Pati, i n Phx

OT - freaky plant Kalera Beads 18 September 16th 05 11:19 PM
OT OT Hair removal 101 spew warning and offense warning! unclbennie Quilting 21 September 5th 05 01:15 AM
Looking for Flax Plant Stems--Please Help Irene Needlework 1 July 14th 04 09:28 PM
Looking for Flax Plant Stems--Please Help Irene Needlework 1 July 14th 04 04:32 PM
Looking for Flax Plant Stems--Please Help Irene Needlework 0 July 13th 04 11:21 PM