Rant About Making a Hug Quilt

Old July 10th 10, 08:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Default Rant About Making a Hug Quilt

Oh that was so unfair of them.

Perhaps 'suggest' isn't strong enough! Be definite about not doing them
Say 'NO' positively - with no 'perhapses' or 'Maybes' - its the only
way (btdt!). After all, they will have to do them when you've moved. Be
careful with the reasons - don't let them be perceived as excuses - they
aren't excuses, they are reasons. Be careful about offering to help when
they are stuck too.

Its surprising how people do actually step in and take on things when
they realise that you really aren't going to do them. They may not be as
organised/efficient as you are to begin with, but they'll learn! You
could give them a list of what needs to be done, but do this now not
when you may be sucked back in!

So don't be tempted to slip back through a feeling of guilt - so easy to
do especially when the others make you feel that way. They are big girls
now so should start acting like it - you have other commitments and
priorities.

You see, we are all behind you!

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

Maureen Wozniak wrote:

I would feel completely imposed upon too. Maybe at the next meeting you can
suggest that it's time someone else took on the task of HUG organizer because
you've been doing it for x years and are just burnt out.

Maureen

Old July 11th 10, 01:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Roberta wrote:

...snip........
Lots of times, positions in a club or group become "owned" by one
person, whether she wants it or not. ..snip........
there is no up side to a cancer diagnosis ....snip...
But it was a real compliment to the perceived power of a Hug!
Roberta in D

I will remind everyone at the August meeting that I will be moving
before next summer so someone else is going to have to take on this job.
And regardless of the outcome, a Hug really does have power beyond
compare when it comes to the emotion aspect of helping a person deal
with illness. Thanks Roberta. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old July 11th 10, 01:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Sandy E wrote:

Howdy!

You had a couple of options:
keep your mouth shut & your hands in your lap
(can't volunteer that way),
or Say "No".
You get "used" when you allow it. Put on your BGP and move along.

Hey, why can't you give the quilt to Claudia now, while you're available?
Who makes up the rules? Why don't you work to your schedule?

R/Sandy

I might get "used" this time but Claudia WILL have her HUG. If I
didn't do it, then it would NOT have gotten done unless I did all of the
planning and then shamed someone else into being in charge. I liked
Kate in MI's idea about making a "Things To Do" list for the group to
have because, once I have moved next spring, it will be necessary.
The Hug Quilts have ALWAYS been a group project, even if all the
group does is hand tie them. So the group will tie this quilt asnd
hopefully Claudia will be at the July meeting so she can take it home
with her. If it has to wait for me to be there, she will have to wait
another month as I am gone to Lizard Land until the end of August.

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

What I've learned from my last quilt project (short rant and new pix) Valerie in FL Quilting 4 January 19th 06 11:04 AM
hug quilt Stephen Williams Quilting 22 October 10th 05 05:27 PM
The hug quilt She in PA Quilting 0 April 17th 05 01:27 AM
Jody's Hug Quilt Update -- Quilt finished and being shipped Michelle in NJ Quilting 5 March 31st 05 01:51 AM
RANT: I'm never making a quilt for anyone again. \Pussywillow\ Volfie Quilting 25 January 28th 05 08:37 AM