Rant About Making a Hug Quilt

Old July 10th 10, 05:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Default Rant About Making a Hug Quilt

I'm probably being petty about this but I need to get it off my
chest!!! Claudia, one of the ladies in my Needlework Group (knit,
crochet, embroider, quilt, etc.) was diagnosed with cancer in the early
spring. At our April meeting (4th Thursday of each month) her best
friend mentioned to a bunch of us that she had told Claudia that the up
side to the diagnosis was that she was sure Claudia would get a Hug
Quilt out of the whole thing.
In the past, I have volunteered to organize several Hug Quilts -- it
was my idea so I said I would do this -- for ladies in the group who
have had serious stuff in their lives. The quilts are usually a group
project but I organize a sew-in at my house; make sure there is enough
fabric; cut the pieces for the blocks; provide snacks; provide batting &
backing; pin baste the sandwich; do minimal quilting; attach the binding
and finally add the label. I wash the quilt and take it to the next
meeting so that everyone can help to hand tie it giving those who don't
sew the chance to be involved in the quilt making process.
I enjoy doing this and never in a million years would decline to
organize this type of project if asked to do so. My problem is that
this recipient was pretty much guaranteed a Hug Quilt by someone who has
never been involved in actually making one. Then she had the audacity
to tell me she had done this but never once asked if I would organize
the project. She and everyone else just assumed that I would do this.
I hadn't volunteered up front to make the quilt because I knew I
didn't really have the time. I would be gone all of May and half of
June then home for less than 3 weeks before leaving again. I told
everyone that I couldn't do anything about a Hug until the end of June
and then I would have only about 2 1/2 weeks before I would be gone
again. Everyone thought this was just fine and dandy -- that I have a
whole 2 1/2 weeks at home and I should spend about half of that time
organizing and working on this quilt.
The sew-in was on 29 June and I will say that I had the largest
volunteer group every. There were ten women besides myself and four of
them sewed while the rest took turns pressing seams or getting the rest
of us snacks or drinks. Several of the women even volunteered to bring
snacks so that I didn't have to worry about that. And yes, the one who
told Claudia she would get a Hug was there to help sew.
I'm just really irritated that no one ever bothered to actually ASK
me if I would organize the project -- that thought never crossed
anyone's mind. There are several other quilters in the group but none
of them has ever volunteered to organize a Hug Quilt project -- I wonder
what the group will do when I have moved back to Lizard Land next
summer? I LOVE making Hug Quilts but it would be nice to actually be
asked to do so instead of having everyone just assume that Tia Mary will
do it.
In the past, making a Hug Quilt has been my idea and I was the one
to suggest it to the group so I did the lion's share of the work and
certainly didn't expect anyone to ask if I was willing to do the work.
I purposely didn't volunteer to do so this time because I knew I didn't
really have the time for such a project. Obviously no one picked up on
that fact even after I told them I would be gone so much and didn't have
a lot of time. VBS, it's not like the ladies don't appreciate the work
I do on Hug projects but it would be nice if they didn't just assume
that I am willing and able to put in the time and effort required when
making a Hug Quilt. To make matters worse, I won't even be here when
Claudia gets her Hug at the next meeting the end of this month!
OK -- rant over. I feel better for having "spilled my guts" --
LOLOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old July 10th 10, 06:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Mary, I enjoyed your rant. Really. I did. I think because I am old and
battered enough to have learned some survival techniques.
You are getting there . . . but not quite.
When you told the group that you would be in/out/gone - you should have
positively and immediately and pointedly said, " Lilly and Bobby Sue, why
don't you take care of this one? I can not."
Maybe they are reluctant to invade 'your' territory. Maybe they are
just spoiled in letting 'Mary do it'.
Time's up. Stand up. Better yet ... stand back. Polly

Old July 10th 10, 06:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

You are more than entitled to rant. I think sometimes people feel they
are 'owed' something because they are ill or have a crisis. I've had
my share of crises, and the gifts and encouragements I've received
have lifted my spirits more than I can ever tell. But .... good grief.
If a person promises another person a quilt (of any kind) then the
first person needs to make the danged quilt. A hug of any kind (with
arms or with quilts or with prayer shawls or ....) should come from
the heart of the giver. I always hated to hear parents telling their
children 'go on, give her/him a hug and a kiss.' Yuck. I never, ever
did that with my boys. I taught them to shake hands early on in life
and taught them that hugs are for people we feel strongly about.

Oops, a rant. Sorry. Dear girl, I think it's more than imposition that
your group foisted this on you. A quilt is a huge job and isn't
something that one should expect another to take on lightly.

Hugs to you, and a prayer that you'll find time, patience and a way
to hold your tongue just for a little bit (BEG)
Sunny
Old July 10th 10, 07:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

Hi Tia Mary

I enjoyed your rant. Thankfully I'm not the Claudia involved!

I really don't like it when people take me for granted as they seem to
have done with you here.

Claudia
Old July 10th 10, 03:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Seems like you need to print this out and show it to your needlework
buddies. they ought to know better, but they clearly don't.

Lots of times, positions in a club or group become "owned" by one
person, whether she wants it or not. Then everybody starts making
unjustified assumptions. And nobody wants to volunteer to take over
the job, because that would surely hurt the feelings of the person who
"owns" it.

IMO Claudia's best friend is more a talker than a thinker -there is no
up side to a cancer diagnosis, just a lot of hard work from both
patient and doctors until she's cured. Her comment made it all sound
trivial. But it was a real compliment to the perceived power of a Hug!
Roberta in D

Old July 10th 10, 04:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 00:09:47 -0500, Polly Esther wrote
(in article ):

"Tia Mary" wrote in message .
[...]

I would feel completely imposed upon too. Maybe at the next meeting you can
suggest that it's time someone else took on the task of HUG organizer because
you've been doing it for x years and are just burnt out.

Maureen

Old July 10th 10, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate in MI

I agree, Polly. The perfect time to help someone else learn how to do it.

My experience is that often people are willing -- but reluctant because they
don't know how to pull it all together -- how to organize volunteers. Time
to make a little checklist of THINGS TO DO for preparing for the sew-in
day... and a list of THINGS TO BRING....

It is amazing how many people (bright, educated well-meaning people) have
never been the chief organizer of an event -- and are reluctant to take it
on for fear of failure -- especially if it has been done (and done well!!)
by someone else over the course of time.

Rant earned -- but next time don't be shy -- enlist someone else to be the
leader -- and you be the consultant!

--
Kate in MI

Old July 10th 10, 07:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry Starr[_3_]

"Tia Mary" wrote in message .
[...]
LOLOL! *CiaoMeow ^;;^- Hide quoted text -

I agree 100% with Polly. You need to stand up, and stand back, to the
group. Do no feel guilt about not doing it in the future. Other
people should step in and do it. I'm glad you had a lot of help -
most of the time it is not like that.

Sherry Starr

Old July 10th 10, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

You had a couple of options:
keep your mouth shut & your hands in your lap
(can't volunteer that way),
or Say "No".
You get "used" when you allow it. Put on your BGP and move along.

Hey, why can't you give the quilt to Claudia now, while you're available?
Who makes up the rules? Why don't you work to your schedule?

R/Sandy
p.s. BGP: Big Girl Panties

On 7/9/10 11:16 PM, in article , "Tia Mary"
wrote:

[...]

What I've learned from my last quilt project (short rant and new pix) Valerie in FL Quilting 4 January 19th 06 11:04 AM
hug quilt Stephen Williams Quilting 22 October 10th 05 05:27 PM
The hug quilt She in PA Quilting 0 April 17th 05 01:27 AM
Jody's Hug Quilt Update -- Quilt finished and being shipped Michelle in NJ Quilting 5 March 31st 05 01:51 AM
RANT: I'm never making a quilt for anyone again. \Pussywillow\ Volfie Quilting 25 January 28th 05 08:37 AM