OK, so now I want a Trade Mark

Old July 12th 10, 08:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Default Favourites... Desert Island Selection... not OT

On 12/07/2010 08:32, Sartorresartus wrote:
Ursula said:Yes, I'm not familiar enough with quilting yet so I
can't guess your
favourite gadget. Give me a hint, won't you, please? I've got some
ideas
already.

Haven't really got _one_ but it triggered me into thinking along the
Desert Island LInes. We have a (long running) radio programme that
puts the question, "if you were marooned on a desert island, what
eight pieces of music would you take?" Then at the end you are
allowed one book (not Shakespeare or the Bible) and one useless
luxury. The last trick is to choose just one, your ultimate
favourite.

So here is my Quilting Question.
"If you were only allowed eight 'things' in your sewing room, what
would they be? Plus you can have one book and one useless luxury.
You already have a sewing machine and fabric.

I'll answer myself when I've thought about it a bit.

Nel (GQ)

Cutting table at the right height!
Cutting mat
Rotary cutter
42" quilting ruler
Good dressmaking sheers
yardtstick/meter ruler
120" tape measure
Small sharp pointy scissors.

Book? I'm swithering between Queen Elizabeth's Wardrobe Unlocked and my
new Kenneth King on couture techniques!

The luxury? My computer with the pattern software loaded, attached to
the printer.
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old July 12th 10, 09:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On 12/07/2010 08:43, Kate XXXXXX wrote:
[...]

When you are dyslexic, rulers get bigger! That was supposed to be a 24"
ruler, but the bigger one would be nice!

Old July 12th 10, 09:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On 12/07/2010 08:40, Ursula Schrader wrote:
[...]

Yes, the 'desert island' question! Couldn't have put it any better; that'll
be it, I guess. So then I put myself on the couch, right next to the fan and
wait for your answer with a cool drink in my hand. (hah, I wish - I'm off
with what Kate calls the Destructo Fairy to her check-up at the hospital -
and it promises to be another 36° Celsius day with 70 % humidity.)

U.

Has she flooded any more bathroome recently?

Send your parents my love, won't you. And Eric the Viking!

Old July 12th 10, 09:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

On 12/07/10 08:43, Kate XXXXXX wrote:
[...]

Uh, Kate dearest, you've not got any fabric on that list........

Lizzy
Old July 12th 10, 09:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

Ok, here we go...

1) My magnifying daylight lamp
2) #10 betweens
3) YLI Glazed cotton (for HQ)
4) My beautiful 4" Gingher pointy scissors
5) My silver (plated) Roxanne Thimble (bought on Ebay for a fiver)
6) Mettler cotton (for piecing)
7) Caren d'Ache watercolour pencils
8) Olfa 24"x 6" ruler

My pick would be the thimble. I am always on the look-out for spares,
in case I lose it. Disaster!

My luxury would be (it's supposed to be useless, remember) cashmere
wrist warmers. My hands get so cold, and these do the job
beautifully.

Book would have to be George Bain's "Celtic Art", though I might be
persuaded to his son's updated version.

I could find 'something' to make a hoop out of, and I _could_ do
without. Likewise the pizza wheels and cutting board _can_ be got
around. But I couldn't do without accurate measuring and a way to
ensure straight lines.

Nel (GQ)
Old July 12th 10, 01:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 02:32:42 -0500, Sartorresartus wrote
(in article
):

Ursula said: Yes, I'm not familiar enough with quilting yet so I
can't guess your
favourite gadget. Give me a hint, won't you, please? I've got some
ideas
already.

Haven't really got _one_ but it triggered me into thinking along the

So here is my Quilting Question.
"If you were only allowed eight 'things' in your sewing room, what
would they be? Plus you can have one book and one useless luxury.
You already have a sewing machine and fabric.

I'll answer myself when I've thought about it a bit.

Nel (GQ)

Cutting table at the right height
Good sewing table
Good chair
A nice steam iron
Rotary cutter and mat
24" x 8.5" inch ruler
My good scissors
Pins

I'm not sure about the book, but definitely one of those Bible-type books
that would tell me how to do everything.

As for the luxury I'm torn between a giant bottle of Mary Ellen's Best Press
and my iMac and printer with EQ7.

Maureen

Old July 12th 10, 02:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

My luxury item would be a Golden Retriever- companionship, love,
entertainment, fun and pure joy all rolled into one beautiful, hug-able,
happy package. Hoover is my current Golden Boy.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old July 12th 10, 10:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ursula Schrader

"Sartorresartus" wrote...
Ok, here we go...

1) My magnifying daylight lamp
2) #10 betweens
3) YLI Glazed cotton (for HQ)
4) My beautiful 4" Gingher pointy scissors
5) My silver (plated) Roxanne Thimble (bought on Ebay for a fiver)
6) Mettler cotton (for piecing)
7) Caren d'Ache watercolour pencils
8) Olfa 24"x 6" ruler

My pick would be the thimble. I am always on the look-out for spares,
in case I lose it. Disaster!

Interesting; I see that you're obviously quilting more by hand than by
che... I mean machine. ;- I've got a great idea already. Now the important
question is: How do you want to get it into/onto the quilt?
Hand-embroidered? A ready-made label? I'd like to know how complex the thing
may be.

U.

Old July 12th 10, 10:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

I'm thinking ready made label, like a school name tape or a "Designer
Label"; descrete, but there if you look for it.

But I am more interested in other people's must haves. \what are
yours?

Nel
Gadget Queen)
Old July 13th 10, 06:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ursula Schrader

"Sartorresartus" wrote...
I'm thinking ready made label, like a school name tape or a "Designer
Label"; descrete, but there if you look for it.

Ah, good, that gives room for details. Wait and see.

But I am more interested in other people's must haves. \what are
yours?

Now you got me! I really don't know. Right now I'd say my tiny embroidery
scissors, stork shaped, because I had to unpick two buttonholes on DD's
dress and they proved priceless in that task. To be honest, I've always
hated those 'Desert Island' questions; although I can do with so little, if
asked what I could go without I can't think of anything I'd leave behind.
And for quilting it's even harder since I'm such a bloody novice. Perhaps
I'd have to have one of those pizza cutters plus omnigrid and cutting mat.
And a pen, just something to write...

U.

Any help on mark? Carl 1 Lucky Texan Jewelry 2 September 15th 07 04:49 AM
MARK cher Yarn 0 February 28th 05 08:02 PM
TRADE: Anyone wanna trade CSS book for Beads? Lori Greenberg Beads 0 September 21st 04 04:50 PM
looking for silver trade-mark hangers Fae Jewelry 5 August 12th 04 05:35 AM
stitch from mark to mark Polly Esther Quilting 10 February 4th 04 02:47 AM