OK, so now I want a Trade Mark

Old July 7th 10, 08:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

Default OK, so now I want a Trade Mark

I like this idea. Inigo Jones, the famous wood-carver, included a
peapod in every one of his works. There is a famous North Yorkshire
furniture maker called Robert Thompson who has a mouse on all his
pieces. (http://www.robertthompsons.co.uk/)

This is a goer. Now what shall I be? I can add a date, and I keep a
diary with photos of my pieces which could add dedications if I wanted
to, usually I just give the quilt to the person and tell them what
it's for.

Suggestions, please...
Nothing twee...

Nel (GQ)
Old July 7th 10, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Jul 7, 3:46*am, Sartorresartus wrote:
I like this idea. *Inigo Jones, the famous wood-carver,

He was a woodcarver too?

("My name is Inigo Jones. You killed my Ark in the Temple of Doom
during the Last Crusade -- Prepare to die!")

This is a goer. *Now what shall I be? *I can add a date, and I keep a
diary with photos of my pieces which could add dedications if I wanted
to, usually I just give the quilt to the person and tell them what
it's for.

Suggestions, please...
Nothing twee...

Nel (GQ)

How simple/complex do you want to go? Do you want it related to
Carlyle, or Sartor Resartus, or tailors?
Looking at the associated woodcut illustration, I see a satyr (or faun
- Pan, Puck), pan flute, bell, pawnbroker's 3 spheres/coins, some type
of leaf.... (jes spitballin' here...)

Something you would embroider? (If so, by hand or machine?)
Some shape, pattern, or block you would work in (a trademark quilt
block)?
A crown or crown & (your favorite) gadget? (GQ) crown over needle &
thread?
"Nel Regina" A crown over the initials "NR" See:
http://ns1763.ca/lunenco/blockcan1622.jpg
http://ns1763.ca/digbyco/digbycann2360.jpg
http://www.martinihenry.com/images3/sovcypher.jpg

Brainstorming I can do...

Doc
Old July 8th 10, 01:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Little pair of scissors, maybe the stork scissors (which Zwillinge
apparently doesn't make anymore!)
Roberta in D

Old July 8th 10, 01:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ursula Schrader

"Sartorresartus" wrote...
I like this idea. Inigo Jones, the famous wood-carver, included a
peapod in every one of his works. There is a famous North Yorkshire
furniture maker called Robert Thompson who has a mouse on all his
pieces. (http://www.robertthompsons.co.uk/)

This is a goer. Now what shall I be? I can add a date, and I keep a
diary with photos of my pieces which could add dedications if I wanted
to, usually I just give the quilt to the person and tell them what
it's for.

Suggestions, please...
Nothing twee...

Nel (GQ)

I made a logo for Kate as part of the wedding dress deal, but she hasn't
used it yet, AFAIK. Actually, I made two for her: A welsh witch on a pair of
oldfashioned sewing scissors and a welsh hat with scissors and a sewing
machine. I could design one for you, too, but I don't know how you could
incorporate it into your quilts...

U.

Old July 9th 10, 08:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

I made a logo for Kate as part of the wedding dress deal, but she hasn't
used it yet, AFAIK. Actually, I made two for her: A welsh witch on a pair of
oldfashioned sewing scissors and a welsh hat with scissors and a sewing
machine. I could design one for you, too, but I don't know how you could
incorporate it into your quilts...

U.

Thank you, that would be lovely. I love the idea of Welsh hat and
crossed scissors! Like a skull and crossbones. Considering I do
Welsh Wholecloth designs, that would be appropriate to me, too!

I am thinking along the lines of something either around or contained
within a heart shape. I have always been rather squeemish of hearts
as a shape to use on anything but it seems I'm now stuck with them. A
while since, I wanted to put 'charms' on all my stuff for when I take
them to school, classes, hospital and so on. The British Heart
Foundation brought out a set of trolley dollies, and before you could
say, "Jack Robunson" I had a few, all different, hanging from my
scissors, key rings and pencil cases. So the heart kinda stuck
without my noticing. Now I have a lovely leather Osprey one on my
Dump Bag and everything I carry seems to have one somewhere.

So how about a heart and crossed scissors with the dedication initials
in the centre of the heart and my initials either side of the cross
and the date at the bottom... goes to draw...

YES! That works. I'll post a link when I've got it sorted. I can
make it really little, and maybe have some labels made up, just to add
the date and initials later. OooH! This is exciting, and can be
retrofitted. I can add a label to the edge, caught in the binding or
stitch one into the design somewhere. Quite unobtrsive and
definitively mine.!

Thanks, everybody.
Nel
(Gadget Quuen)

Old July 10th 10, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Oh my, so many things to respond to .... where to start?

Nel -- I highlighted 'trolley dollies' in your post and had Google
look it up. Oops! I think you meant trolley doilies. Maybe? Just to be
certain, have a go at Googling 'trolley dollies' -- but do so gingerly
if you have a faint heart! Big Very Evil Grin

Ursula -- I'd love to have you design a signature for me. What would
you charge? I'd want something incorporating a sun burst, sort of
elegant, that I could embroider on my work.

Doc -- I agree with you here about labeling everything. Well, maybe
not the practice FM stuff that you bind and use for hot pads because
you hate to throw away anything with batting in the middle. But
everything else. And I've seen the work of people in this newsgroup
and I know that Roberta and Nel both do work that deserves to be
identified and remembered.

Polly -- Cursive is dying. I read recently that cursive will no longer
be taught in elementary school. So much work is now done on keyboard,
and keyboard training starts in kindergarten now. Children have no
need of cursive, it takes up valuable classroom time that could be
used for drilling repetitive test questions and answers. So cursive is
going the way of Latin grammar and memorizing and reciting poetry.
Sigh.

Sunny
Old July 10th 10, 08:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

Ooops! language splatters the dust again! (BG) I mean those tokens
that represent (in UK) £1 in Europe 1 Euro and I expect there is
something stateside equivalent in size. In Canada it is the $.
http://www.poundforlife.co.uk/user/p.../Heart%201.jpg

I always call them trolley-dollies, but I never thought of what they
might actually be! Oh dear! Oh dear! (Shakes head and chuckles)

I think, on mature reflection, they may be referred to (safely) as
trolley TOKENS. Apparently they are the IN thing to give away as
Weddding favours now... but I digress.

Cursive handwriting... climbs quietly onto hobby horse and aims for
sunset... Here in the UK it is required at 11 and then ignored from
then on in. This is a shame, because as soon as the pupils hit
secondary school they get the idea that they can pretty well forget
all the discipline and energy they acquired at primary school, and
they begin this rebellion with Presentation (unless the school's
policy is very strict). Hearts and bubbles appear on girls' work and
the boys start to print in capitals. sigh pubity! Unless this
is discouraged vehemently it lapses into 'anything goes' and the art
and speed (which is more important) drops off significantly. It is
considered (I forget the research, but Google anything Dyslexia
related) that spelling is reinforced through cursive word shape
(though I expect it could be argued that typing patterns could compare
with the phonological loop). STOP! I could bore as an Olympic Sport
on this subject... STOP ME!

And let's not even go with text language and email...

shudder

Dismounts and slinks off into the undergrowth mumbling incoherently...

"Now, back to hearts and crossed scissors" she says brightening!

Nel (GQ)
(Founder member of "Pedants Anonymous")

Old July 10th 10, 03:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Maybe US residents are a bit mystified over trolley tokens too :-)
Dear ones, a trolley = shopping cart. In most of Europe and its
associated isles, these are linked with chains in long rows to keep
them from filling the parking lot, and you need to put a coin in the
holder to release one. Then you return it to the chain and get your
coin back. Most of us carry around a token of some sort, so we don't
spend it and have nothing for the trolley.

I have several, mostly propaganda from various advertisers. Can't
imagine them as a wedding favor!
Roberta in D

Old July 10th 10, 06:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Wow, Roberta! Here in the USA, we just find shopping carts inside the
store (or right outside) in some sort of jumble that requires a torn
rotator cuff to unjumble. Then you push it around the store, check out
and put your bags back into the cart. Then you push it to your car,
unload the cart, and then aim it away from your OWN car and give it a
good push with the fervent hope that by the time it crashes into
somebody else's car that you have already backed out and driven far
enough down the parking aisle that you can shrug good-naturedly when
the poor sod with the new ding on his/her car shakes their fist at
you.

Oh, sometimes we allow old people, young girls with multiple babies
and drug addicts to take the shopping cart far from the store and THEN
give it a good shove -- preferably out into moving traffic but
sometimes just into the curb where it hinders bicycle riders, dog
walkers, runners and old ladies trying to turn into a store parking
lot.

As you can see, we here in the USA have truly civilized the art of
shopping carts.

Sunny
Old July 10th 10, 08:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

Ha Ha!

Yes, now, let me introduce to the British Bedstead Men:
http://video.filestube.com/watch,ecd...stead-Men.html

Except now we do it with shopping carts/trolleys and bits of bicycle.

Nel (GQ)

Any help on mark? Carl 1 Lucky Texan Jewelry 2 September 15th 07 04:49 AM
MARK cher Yarn 0 February 28th 05 08:02 PM
TRADE: Anyone wanna trade CSS book for Beads? Lori Greenberg Beads 0 September 21st 04 04:50 PM
looking for silver trade-mark hangers Fae Jewelry 5 August 12th 04 05:35 AM
stitch from mark to mark Polly Esther Quilting 10 February 4th 04 02:47 AM