I lose! =D

Old July 14th 10, 12:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Default I lose! =D

On 14/07/2010 09:22, Sartorresartus wrote:
I came to that conclusion myself, yesterday. I have a fairly big
house, so space is not a problem, but the mess-transferred could be,
if I get another period of not-well-ness before the end of the
project. So I think I have come to a compromise in my own mind.

I am bundling up all the stuff from former lives and being as honest
as I can with the 'it will come in useful, one day' djinn. That stuff
goes into the, 'someone else can use it' piles and 'come on, be
realistic, dump it!' bin sacks. The fabric is (neatly all) folded and
boxed (or bagged, as above) and then it is down to the other stuff.
That I shall bring down to empty the room before painting and doing
something with the floor.

I will take stuff away for you and resort it into stuff to let go and
stuff I can use. The let go stuff may well be offered to school for art
classes.

I didn't realise until yesterday that this room (OK it's got eaves,
but only slight ones) is 16' 6" x 12' 6". It's bigger than some
folks' main rooms. And there isn't room to swing a proverbial! There
is no way I can afford to cover the floor at the moment, so it will
end up bare boards. But they aren't too bad on first inspection, so I
may get away with that, except for insulation.

I've been in there folks. Crowded doesn't begin to cover it! Makes my
10' by 12' sewing room look empty, and you've seen pix of that! One day
soon it will make the most delightful quilting studio, with a large
central cutting table, neat storage and light from large windows on two
sides.

Covering the floor isn't an issue. Paint the boards a nice cream to go
with the rest of the room, and we can slowly hide areas under rag rugs
and the like. Once most of the small stuff is out, we can paint half
the floor and let it dry, then move things and do the other half.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old July 14th 10, 12:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 14/07/2010 10:03, Pat S wrote:
A thought for the floor, Nel: if only for the eaves are, which you can
use for storage, you could cover the floor with some tough wallpaper -
it is always possible to get rolls of the stuff very cheaply. Then,
sometime, you might see a piece of carpet or a rug, in a sale, that
would do for the central, working area. If the roof area is not boarded,
you could also tack wallpaper between the trusses, temporarily. Some of
the blown vinyl stuff is very warm and thick.

It is a fully fledged, lined and plastered room, built as servants
accommodation when the house was built. Unfortunately, while Nel was
ill, the restoration and convertion of the space from teenaged boy's
black retreat to light and airy sewing room ground to a halt, and moths
and dust have taken their toll.

I wish I was both closer and less frantically busy this summer. But I
think I may be able to persuade Alan to drag me north for that week or
so in August. Only if you are up for it, mind, love. Don't let me
bully you! I can do all my bullying down here on the planning committee!

Old July 14th 10, 04:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

Thanks, Kate and Pat,

II've spent another couple of hours up there this afternoon, but it
was very dark and gloomy in there. At least it has cooled down
somewhat. I THINK I have tamed the last piece of yardage. I have a
box of scraps and a surprising number of empty plastic storage
chests. I really didn't have as much as I thought I had; especially
of the leftovers from the curtain marathon.

Kate, your patterns and fabric come to three extra large shoe-boxes
and a couple or three bin bags. Supportable, I think and movable in
your car. There may be a little more as I get to putting stuff away,
but the main problem seems to be (as I had feared) that everything has
got _dumped_ up there as the last room in the house. The room may be
large, but the storage has been very haphazard, and therefore taken up
far more space than it deserved.

I really can't do the painting and decorating. I just can't face it.
And the cupboards need some extra shelves put in. However, over the
next few days, I'm going to drag DH up there to help me drag stuff
downstairs (the stairs are very steep with little headroom) and then I
shall size up how I'm going to put the stuff back. Once those
decisions are made, and there is less furniture and garbage, I might
be able to see the wood for the trees.

And yes, Kate, (or anybody!) come when you like, you're always
welcome, and not just to subdue the cupboard trolls! We might even
have a trip to Bombay Stores, the new exhibition at the Quilt Museum,
the Moors or the coast.

I've just discovered that they are not taking my Driving License away,
so have car will travel.

Take care, and thanks for the support. I badly need it. I am so
easily overwhelmed these days. I still can't believe I've sunk so
low.

Nel (GQ)
Old July 14th 10, 05:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On 14/07/2010 16:52, Sartorresartus wrote:
Thanks, Kate and Pat,

II've spent another couple of hours up there this afternoon, but it
was very dark and gloomy in there. At least it has cooled down
somewhat. I THINK I have tamed the last piece of yardage. I have a
box of scraps and a surprising number of empty plastic storage
chests. I really didn't have as much as I thought I had; especially
of the leftovers from the curtain marathon.

Kate, your patterns and fabric come to three extra large shoe-boxes
and a couple or three bin bags. Supportable, I think and movable in
your car. There may be a little more as I get to putting stuff away,
but the main problem seems to be (as I had feared) that everything has
got _dumped_ up there as the last room in the house. The room may be
large, but the storage has been very haphazard, and therefore taken up
far more space than it deserved.

That sounds eminently shiftable. Move it into the guest room rather
than keeping it in the sewing room, and the whole thing will look more
manageable.

I really can't do the painting and decorating. I just can't face it.

I know. That's why I think we could help there.

And the cupboards need some extra shelves put in. However, over the
next few days, I'm going to drag DH up there to help me drag stuff
downstairs (the stairs are very steep with little headroom) and then I
shall size up how I'm going to put the stuff back. Once those
decisions are made, and there is less furniture and garbage, I might
be able to see the wood for the trees.

Alan can come primed for shelf erecting ans we can then paint the
insides of the cupboards.

And yes, Kate, (or anybody!) come when you like, you're always
welcome, and not just to subdue the cupboard trolls! We might even
have a trip to Bombay Stores, the new exhibition at the Quilt Museum,
the Moors or the coast.

Those all sound wonderful.

I've just discovered that they are not taking my Driving License away,
so have car will travel.

Yay! Were they threatening to again? Seems like driving was one of your
safe places and activities, and taking that away somewhat bonkers!

Take care, and thanks for the support. I badly need it. I am so
easily overwhelmed these days. I still can't believe I've sunk so
low.

Don't fret. I also have decorating projects I'd like to get on with,
but the house is full of weddings and I can't have paint and silk in the
same places!

Old July 14th 10, 10:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ursula Schrader

"Kate XXXXXX"
Don't fret. I also have decorating projects I'd like to get on with, but
the house is full of weddings and I can't have paint and silk in the same
places!

Ah yes, what a provocative combination, almost as provocative as home-dyed
lavender silk and computer ink. ;-

U.

Old July 14th 10, 11:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 14/07/2010 22:40, Ursula Schrader wrote:
"Kate XXXXXX"
Don't fret. I also have decorating projects I'd like to get on with, but
the house is full of weddings and I can't have paint and silk in the same
places!

Ah yes, what a provocative combination, almost as provocative as home-dyed
lavender silk and computer ink. ;-

Um... Yerse... Shhh!

As I said at the time, if I could have indulged in a little manual
strangulation by text message, I would!