Miiiiighty quiet

Old July 21st 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Miiiiighty quiet

So, Why does girly stuff have to be pink??

Leave pink to the people who like it - and there are knitters who love it.
One of them will knit something pink. You should do something that the
average knitter of pinks can not imagine.

Aaron

"Wooly" wrote in message
I told y'all what I'm up to - who's doing what?

Oh. A friend is pg, she's having a girl (two boys on the hoof
already) and she's asked me to make girly stuff. Ugh. Pink. I'll
force myself because I love my friend, but OH how I despise pink!

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...

Old July 21st 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Els van Dam

In article ,
"Midwest poster" wrote:

"Wooly" wrote in message ..
I told y'all what I'm up to - who's doing what?

Quiet is nice at times; sure beats the occasional shouting. I've just
started a simple lace scarf using Rowan Kidsilk and size 7 bamboo needles
which need better points. What can I do to make them more pointy?

Two reasons for it being quiet from this part of the world. It is very
very hot here, and it is a very busy summer as well. Just do not have the
time to sit behind the computer.

Hear the 2 year old one waking up from her nap just now

so long for now, enjoy the summer

Els

--
Ja for Jazz and cobra loose the rrrrrrrr
Old July 22nd 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Midwest poster

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

"Midwest poster" wrote in message

Quiet is nice at times; sure beats the occasional shouting. I've just
started a simple lace scarf using Rowan Kidsilk and size 7 bamboo

needles
which need better points. What can I do to make them more pointy?

--
Jan in MN

Ooooooooo Jan, Kidsilk Haze is a yummy yarn. What colour??

Shelagh

Actually, it's Kidsilk Spray which is the same as Haze but in variegated
colors. Mine is called Medici which is shades of blue. It is soooooo soft.
Can anybody tell me if it's possible to sharpen the points on my bamboo
needles?

--
Jan in MN

Old July 22nd 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Hi Jan,

I've got some of the Haze in my stash. It's very similar to the
Douceur et Soie I had so much trouble with. Beautiful stuff.

I'm surprized that Aaron hasn't said anything about sharpening your
bamboos. Are they expensive? Could you experiment with a pencil
sharpener? I seem to remember someone mentioning that on here
somewhere.

Hesira

Old July 22nd 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Moon Shyne

Thank you, Michelle

Daughter is saying she wants to try it :-) Loved the photos!

Guess I gotta go get some Kool-Aid

Moon

"Eastern Edge" wrote in message
oups.com...

Moon Shyne wrote:
You mention kool-aid dyed yarn, below.

My daughter perked up - can you give me a brief lesson in how you do
that?

Moon

Hi Moon

I also do lots of kool-aid dyeing; I just boil the wool in a solution
of sugarless koolaid (either one, two or three packs, depending on the
colour intensity I want) until the water is clear (yup, clear). I stir
it gently to make sure the wool is always wet, unless I want a
multitonal, in which case I don't stir it and let some of the yarn
float just under the surface. You have to use 100% wool, unbleached to
get a great effect. I've used others, though; light colours, tweeds,
etc, and gotten lots of different effects.

In here are some photos of my koolaid projects:
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/qui..._mom/my_photos

In here are some photos of my dyed yarn:
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/qui..._mom/my_photos

There are great sites for koolaid dyeing; just google it and tons pop
up.

Michelle

Old July 22nd 06, 08:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Els van Dam

In article om, "hesira"
wrote:

Hi Jan,

I've got some of the Haze in my stash. It's very similar to the
Douceur et Soie I had so much trouble with. Beautiful stuff.

I'm surprized that Aaron hasn't said anything about sharpening your
bamboos. Are they expensive? Could you experiment with a pencil
sharpener? I seem to remember someone mentioning that on here
somewhere.

Hesira

Jan, or sand paper, you may have better controle with a bit of medium and
then fine sandpaper. A pencil sharpener, may take it away to fast, or
bite into the wood. Sandpaper will give you better controle I would
think, what does Aaron have to say about it

Els

--
Ja for Jazz and cobra loose the rrrrrrrr

Old July 22nd 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Midwest poster

"hesira" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi Jan,

I've got some of the Haze in my stash. It's very similar to the
Douceur et Soie I had so much trouble with. Beautiful stuff.

I'm surprized that Aaron hasn't said anything about sharpening your
bamboos. Are they expensive? Could you experiment with a pencil
sharpener? I seem to remember someone mentioning that on here
somewhere.

Hesira

Thanks Hesira for the suggestion. The needles weren't expensive so it
wouldn't cost much to try.

--
Jan in MN

Old July 22nd 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Midwest poster

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
Jan, or sand paper, you may have better controle with a bit of medium and
then fine sandpaper. A pencil sharpener, may take it away to fast, or
bite into the wood. Sandpaper will give you better controle I would
think, what does Aaron have to say about it

Els

Thanks Els. Although I have done very little wood finishing, I do have some
sandpaper in a box somewhere.

--
Jan in MN