Drapery Help

Old November 11th 03, 10:42 PM
Gerry Leath

Default Drapery Help

I bought some of that "gauzy" stuff to make a "scarf" for my window. It
slides all over and slips all over. I'm trying to hem it before draping
over the rod. Anybody got any hints on how to do this? I've already
decreased the tension. I need help! Thanks!

Gail

Old November 12th 03, 12:19 AM
Trishty

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:42:34 -0500, Gerry Leath wrote:

I bought some of that "gauzy" stuff to make a "scarf" for my window. It
slides all over and slips all over. I'm trying to hem it before draping
over the rod. Anybody got any hints on how to do this? I've already
decreased the tension. I need help! Thanks!

Gail

Buy some spray starch and starch that fabric to within an inch of its life.
That should keep it in order for sewing, but you'll need to wash it out
afterwards...

Trish
Old November 12th 03, 01:46 AM
RLK

"Gerry Leath" wrote in message
I bought some of that "gauzy" stuff to make a "scarf" for my window. It
slides all over and slips all over. I'm trying to hem it before draping
over the rod. Anybody got any hints on how to do this? I've already
decreased the tension. I need help! Thanks!

Hi, are you using a shell hemmer foot for lightweight (approx 2mm), straight
or zigzag, 2-2.5 length? Tack some tearaway stabilizer at the start of the
hem so you can insert it into the hemmer foot to get you started. Sink the
needle down and position the fabric straight in front and behind the foot.
Do a few stitches by handcranking your wheel. This part is a little hard to
explain: keep one hand holding fabric behind the foot, semi-guiding the
movement of the fabric output, while you keep the fabric in front lifted and
a tiny bit off to the side, but not too high. Let the fabric slide thru your
thumb and index finger. Don't guide/pull so tight that your fabric begins to
curl, just enough to keep the hem flat and straight. HTH?

Old November 12th 03, 12:50 PM
Gerry Leath

Thanks for the help. I appreciate the ideas.

Gail

"

Old November 12th 03, 03:37 PM
Irene

My advice when I sold the stuff was to get a bottle of FrayChek.

Lay down a good line about 3/8" (1 cm) wide) and let it dry
completely. Then take a straightedge and a razor or craft knife and
cut a straight line.

No need to hem and it drapes better.

--Irene

Old November 12th 03, 07:31 PM
joy beeson

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 00:19:50 +0100, Trishty
wrote:

Buy some spray starch and starch that fabric to within an inch of its life.
That should keep it in order for sewing, but you'll need to wash it out
afterwards...

You can also paint bottle starch on with a slice of sponge,
if you want to confine the stiffening to the edges.
I usually cut a starch "brush" about a quarter inch thick.

Allow it to air dry, preferably lying flat, then steam-iron
it, or spray it with a plant mister, wait a few minutes, and
dry-iron.

If it still misbehaves, give it another coat.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~beeson_n3f/ -- Writers' Exchange