Therapeutic neck pillow, pattern

Old November 10th 03, 09:30 PM
rufus

Default Therapeutic neck pillow, pattern

I want to make a neck pillow, filled with lentels and spearment to
warm in microwave . Gifts for Christmas.

Pattern , anyone?

thanx
Old November 11th 03, 02:18 AM
Valkyrie

I make these pillows but I use plain white rice. I add (sparingly) dried
herbs; rosemary, mint, lavender, sometimes scented rose petals. I've never
had a problem. I've also made sleep masks using flax seed and added lavender
(the dried leaves hold scent better than the flowers), chamomile and
rosemary.

http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/html/ef_ricebags.html
http://www.j3iss.com/jerry/joan_recipes/rice_bags.html
http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/hotpads.htm
http://sewing.about.com/library/sewn.../aaqa1103a.htm

These links should give you some ideas of how to make a pattern.

Val

om...

Old November 11th 03, 04:05 AM
lady sylvre

i've made the neck pillows for years with just feedcorn. it smells warm and
homey, almost like popcorn. holds the heat for quite a while, too. for a
pattern, i just used an exaggerated horseshoe shape, made of feedsack
dishcloth for the liner--covered with a washable terry "miniduvet" . have
made small ones, square, for pockets in the winter ( for school busstop
waiting, etc) and larger ones for footwarming in bed during the winter.
feedcorn is not as "fine" as some of the other products--but a huge bag runs
about 6 bux. inexpensive, handy, and the leftovers go to the birds in the
winter.
admom
Valkyrie wrote in message
I make these pillows but I use plain white rice. I add (sparingly) dried
herbs; rosemary, mint, lavender, sometimes scented rose petals. I've never
had a problem. I've also made sleep masks using flax seed and added

lavender
(the dried leaves hold scent better than the flowers), chamomile and
rosemary.

http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/html/ef_ricebags.html
http://www.j3iss.com/jerry/joan_recipes/rice_bags.html
http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/hotpads.htm
http://sewing.about.com/library/sewn.../aaqa1103a.htm

These links should give you some ideas of how to make a pattern.

Val

om...

Old November 11th 03, 12:24 PM
Trishty

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 00:38:02 GMT, Miss-G- wrote:

Just a question - do you use dried spearmint or spearmint oil? I make back
pillows (filled with wheat), and have wanted to put lavender in, but I'm not
sure how because I'm afraid of it catching fire.

Thanks
Katy M

You can use either - the oil is less dusty than the dried herb. In any
case, you'll have to refresh it with more essential oil after a while.

Lavender would go up in smoke if you held a naked flame to it, but a quick
warm-up in the microwave doesn't do any harm. I've made plenty of these
pillows, and also toys like bean-bag frogs, stuffed with lavender and
wheat, and never had any problems with them.

Trish
Old November 11th 03, 04:00 PM
nana2b

Hi Trish, If I go to buy the wheat for these pillows, exactly what do I
buy? Is there a specific store like Whole Foods? Thanks in Advance,

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old November 11th 03, 04:36 PM
Joy Hardie

I always fill tube socks for personal use...but for gifts I use pretty
knit fabrics. I know that wasn't the question, but that is the only
2cents I could add.
I should add an herb, because the kids always know when I have a
headache because there is that familiar smell of microwaved dry
rice-bag permeating the house.
Joy
Old November 11th 03, 05:21 PM
Penny S

nana2b's cat walked across a keyboard and came up with this:
Hi Trish, If I go to buy the wheat for these pillows, exactly what
do I buy? Is there a specific store like Whole Foods? Thanks in
Advance,

unground wheat is sometimes called "wheat berries" and any health food
grocery should have it, especially those that sell bulk.

Penny S

Old November 11th 03, 05:29 PM
nana2b

Sugar the QI thanks you for your info.

Old November 11th 03, 09:42 PM
Me

Joy Hardie wrote:

I always fill tube socks for personal use...but for gifts I use pretty
knit fabrics. I know that wasn't the question, but that is the only
2cents I could add.
I should add an herb, because the kids always know when I have a
headache because there is that familiar smell of microwaved dry
rice-bag permeating the house.
Joy

When using fabric, use 100% cotton, since polyester tends
to melt in the microwave. Then you have little burn holes
in the fabric and the lovely stuffing dribbles out.....you
don't need to ask me how I know....
--

Joanne
Life is about the journey, not about the destination.

Old November 12th 03, 12:19 AM
Trishty

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:00:01 GMT, nana2b wrote:

Hi Trish, If I go to buy the wheat for these pillows, exactly what do I
buy? Is there a specific store like Whole Foods? Thanks in Advance,

Gulp - I live in France, so I don't know where you'd buy it in the US, but
I went to you'd call a 'feedstore' and used the same wheat I bought for the
goat!

Trish

Free pattern of U-shaped neck pillow [email protected] General Crafting 2 March 13th 04 07:35 AM
FA: Abundance of Vogue patterns buck16 Marketplace 0 February 20th 04 09:48 PM
Neck Pillow patterns? aeromom Sewing 3 October 14th 03 04:58 AM
Neck pillow sewing pattern? aeromom Quilting 2 October 14th 03 03:42 AM
New FREE downloadable Pattern Maker Pro 4 zipped cross stitch pattern ! Misty Needlework 0 August 11th 03 10:29 AM