Need older pattern

Old November 5th 03, 01:01 AM
BEI Design

Default Need older pattern

Hi,

I haven't posted in quite awhile (I got very busy this summer doing a
complete remodel of my kitchen and upstairs baths, very happy dance).

My younger daughter recently became engaged, the wedding will be next
summer, and we're trying to find the "Perfect Wedding Gown"[tm]
pattern. ;-) None of the current batch in any of the major pattern
companies comes even close, but I have a Vogue 1677 from the mid-to
late 80s which is very close to what she wants. Unfortunately, I
bought it to make a costume for a play when she was in high school,
and it's a size 8 (don't we all wish). I can probably size it up, but
does anyone out there have this pattern in either a 10 or 12, in good
shape? I would be happy to pay cost plus shipping, preferably in the
USA.

TIA,
--
Beverly
---to reply, delete no spam and .invalid---

Old November 5th 03, 01:23 AM

BEI Design wrote:

late 80s which is very close to what she wants. Unfortunately, I
bought it to make a costume for a play when she was in high school,
and it's a size 8 (don't we all wish). I can probably size it up, but
does anyone out there have this pattern in either a 10 or 12, in good
shape? I would be happy to pay cost plus shipping, preferably in the
USA.

Hmmmmm, wonder how easily that dress could be drafted in Pattern Master
Boutique? (GD&RFC)

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Old November 5th 03, 01:59 AM
BEI Design

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply"
wrote in message ...

Hmmmmm, wonder how easily that dress could be drafted in Pattern

Master
Boutique? (GD&RFC)

You better duck and run...you're no help at all! ;-) I don't have
Pattern Master Boutique, although I think I downloaded the free test
version once. I think I'd rather play around with altering the tissue
pattern if I don't locate a larger one.

Thanx

Old November 5th 03, 02:17 AM

BEI Design wrote:

You better duck and run...you're no help at all! ;-)

Well, I offered the best thing that I had, right?

I don't have
Pattern Master Boutique, although I think I downloaded the free test
version once. I think I'd rather play around with altering the tissue
pattern if I don't locate a larger one.

The new version has lots more options that would make a lovely wedding
gown -- more sleeves, more neckline variations and both front and back
neck, etc., etc., etc. But I know what you mean that if it's only a
size or two different it would be worth just using what you have.

Threads had an article on grading patterns a while back -- it might be
online.

Old November 5th 03, 02:26 AM
BEI Design

wrote in message ...

Well, I offered the best thing that I had, right?

And, your best was....naah, too easy. :-)

The new version has lots more options that would make a lovely

wedding
gown -- more sleeves, more neckline variations and both front and

back
neck, etc., etc., etc.

Maybe it's time to take another look, do you know the URL?

But I know what you mean that if it's only a
size or two different it would be worth just using what you have.
Threads had an article on grading patterns a while back -- it might

be
online.

Ok, I'll google for it, thanks.

Old November 5th 03, 03:04 AM

But of course! http://www.wildginger.com

Threads had an article on grading patterns a while back -- it might

be
online.

Ok, I'll google for it, thanks.

Hope you can find it.

Old November 5th 03, 10:52 PM
Trishty

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 01:01:06 GMT, BEI Design wrote:

Snip

I have a Vogue 1677 from the mid-to
late 80s which is very close to what she wantssnip

Sizing up 1-2 sizes shouldn't be too difficult (she says...).

Vogue themselves might be able to help you - that's where I started when
looking for a discontinued pattern.

You could also contact the pattern resellers on Ebay. A lot of them have
large stocks. If you search for 'vintage patterns', some should come up and
then you can just go in and look at the vendors list. Names to look for
include: Best patterns, Patterns for life, Mizpah, lvirishgold, mattywade01
and thelittlecastle (I've bought from all of these).

And a Google for 'vintage patterns' might turn something up, too.

Trish
Old November 5th 03, 11:21 PM
BEI Design

"Trishty" wrote in message
On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 01:01:06 GMT, BEI Design wrote:

Snip

I have a Vogue 1677 from the mid-to
late 80s which is very close to what she wantssnip

Sizing up 1-2 sizes shouldn't be too difficult (she says...).

Yup, been there, done that. This pattern is somewhat complicated, so
I'll probably make up a muslin first.

Vogue themselves might be able to help you - that's where I started

when
looking for a discontinued pattern.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of going directly to the manufacturer, I'll
poke around a bit on their site.

You could also contact the pattern resellers on Ebay. A lot of them

have
large stocks. If you search for 'vintage patterns', some should come

up and
then you can just go in and look at the vendors list. Names to look

for
include: Best patterns, Patterns for life, Mizpah, lvirishgold,

mattywade01
and thelittlecastle (I've bought from all of these).

And a Google for 'vintage patterns' might turn something up, too.

So far, no joy. I googled for "Vogue 1677", and "old Vogue patterns",
and "vintage wedding gown patterns", but so far no luck, and I also
tried searching on E Bay. I guess I better get out the tissue and
start altering.

Old November 6th 03, 12:35 AM
Joy Hardie

Congratulations on your daughters upcoming wedding. I am sure you can
fudge around with some tissue paper and make it work. Go for it!
Joy
Old November 6th 03, 02:05 PM
Emma

Congratulations to your daughter!

I got married in the summer and made my own dress using a McCalls
pattern. It was one of the Alicyn patterns and was pretty good.

My first tip for your daughter is to go and try on dresses purely to
check that the dress she thinks she likes actually suits her.

I love the look of boned bodices with full skirts but trying dresses
on showed that princess line suited my figure more.

I've read lots of posts on bridal bulletin boards where women have
gone shopping with a fixed idea such as 'not strapless' and come out
with the a strapless dress.

Can I also recommend www.indiebride.com to her? It has a very friendly
community full of women who are doing things their way and not being
sucked in by the bridal industry.

Finally, your daughter needs to choose her underwear for the day asap
- it makes such a difference to the fit.

Lloer