Taking pics of beadwork: Advice Needed

Old September 21st 03, 06:06 AM
VManes

Default Taking pics of beadwork: Advice Needed

You can still (allegedly) get them at compusa.com - about $250. It amazes
me that virtually no other digital camera has an optical zoom with that
range - most do at best 3x. And Sony's had it out for about 6 years!
Val

--
Bringing you BeadWizard Design Software
www.beadwizard.com

"vj" wrote in

i wouldn't trade my 10X Mavica for anything . . . but they don't make
them any more.

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(

Old September 21st 03, 06:15 PM
VManes

I remember selling the orginal version at Office Max for probably $600+ in
'97 or '98. The one offered now is the 2x disk speed, looks a little more
refined. But as an older model, prices fall over time. If this is
something you find interesting, better snap them up quick. However, as an
older model, it has much lower resolution that even lesser priced current
models.
Val

--
Bringing you BeadWizard Design Software
www.beadwizard.com
***************************
Practice safe eating -- always use condiments.
***************************

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "VManes"
:

]You can still (allegedly) get them at compusa.com - about $250. It amazes
]me that virtually no other digital camera has an optical zoom with that
]range - most do at best 3x. And Sony's had it out for about 6 years!

hmmm - mine was $500 . . . that was 1/2 price, because it was used.
puts the pictures on a floppy. maybe we're talking about different
versions?

but i agree. most are poor!

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]

Old September 21st 03, 09:08 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

I love my Olympus Camedia - the macro function is very nice for beadwork. I
try to take my photos outside at high noon for the least amount of shadows,
etc. Eventually I want to make a setup like the one shown he

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/10237/214/

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax
Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

"BedazzlingJewels" wrote in message
I'd appreciate any advice on what kind of digital camera I should get in

order
to take quality photographs of my work.

Thanks,
Caren

Old September 22nd 03, 05:00 AM
Katra

"Lee S. Billings" wrote:

In article ,
says...

I'd appreciate any advice on what kind of digital camera I should get in order
to take quality photographs of my work.

FWIW, we have NOT been able to use the digicam to take any kind of decent
jewelry pictures. The problem is the lack of manual focus, and the autofocus
simply doesn't do the job. (Yes, we've tried putting something non-reflective
in the middle of the picture for it to focus on. That didn't work either.)

We use a good-quality *film* camera with tripod to take jewelry photos; then we
take them to Sam's or Costco to get them developed with the CD duplication
option. The CD pix can then be loaded into any good photoshop program and
massaged until you get what you want.

Celine (p&e)

--

Forget digital cameras or scanning pictures. ;-)
Just lay the beads or jewelry directly on the scanner like I do.

I use Photoshop to edit.

For small items, the scanner itself, (I use an Astra scanner) takes
better pictures than any camera ever dreamed of doing! Maven taught me
this. :-)

Go here to see some scans of small items:

http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslink/

That is my entire index. Please forgive the "joke" jpegs. G
I prefer sending links instead of attachments so use the index page for
other things as well. blush

Katra

--
^,,^ Cats-haven Hobby Farm ^,,^ ^,,^

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Old September 22nd 03, 05:21 AM
PoRRo

Barbara sent link to
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/10237/214/

Thank you ! That is a very very good article and easy setup !

--
PöRRö
***********************************

Old September 22nd 03, 01:47 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Glad to have helped!

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax
Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

"PoRRo" wrote in message
.. .
Barbara sent link to

Old September 23rd 03, 02:06 AM
Kandice Seeber

With all due respect, Katra, your pics aren't bad, but some of the things
are really hard to see in detail. Your rosaries are hard to see because of
the backgrounds. Scanning is a good way to do pics if you use a white
background, imo. But digital cameras take the best, most detailed, easiest
to see pictures that I personally have seen. The digital camera must have a
macro, though, or you will not be able to get close enough. And it takes a
lot of practice.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old September 24th 03, 05:22 AM
Barbara Otterson

On 21 Sep 2003 01:53:29 GMT,
(BedazzlingJewels) wrote:

I'd appreciate any advice on what kind of digital camera I should get in order
to take quality photographs of my work.

I have an old Nikon CoolPix 750. I really
love it. does everything I need.
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com