heat n bond or steam a seam?

Old May 22nd 10, 07:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

Default heat n bond or steam a seam?

Good morning everyone

Here I am again with a question.

I will be embarking on an applique project to make a baby quilt for a
friend of mine (as soon as she tells me she's pregnant!). I have found
the perfect quilt patten for her (teddy's playhouse) but it involves
applique (Lots and lots and lots). So this gives you an idea of how
special this friend is to me, as some of you may remember me saying
that I really REALLY don't like applique!.

So here's my question; which is better/which shoul I use, heat n bond
or steam a seam???
Preferences? Why?

It makes no difference to me; I will have to buy whichever online so
hit me with the recommendations!

Thanks

Claudia
Old May 22nd 10, 10:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne[_2_]

On May 22, 7:14*am, claudia wrote:
Good morning everyone

Here I am again with a question.

I will be embarking on an applique project to make a baby quilt for a
friend of mine (as soon as she tells me she's pregnant!). I have found
the perfect quilt patten for her (teddy's playhouse) but it involves
applique (Lots and lots and lots). So this gives you an idea of how
special this friend is to me, as some of you may remember me saying
that I really REALLY don't like applique!.

So here's my question; which is better/which shoul I use, heat n bond
or steam a seam???
Preferences? Why?

It makes no difference to me; I will have to buy whichever online so
hit me with the recommendations!

Thanks

Claudia

I've tried various fusibles, but prefer steam a seam lite (or is it
light?). You have to sew the edges down - but I'd be doing that on a
babyquilt anyway.

I prefer it because, it works like it says on the package: I've never
had a problem getting it to stick (starched fabric or not), and it
doesn't leave residue on my needle.

I've used it for lettering on towels that went to soccer practise and
games until the towel fell apart and no problem.

And it is not stiff on the quilt after.

HTH
Hanne in DK
Old May 22nd 10, 05:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate in MI

I actually prefer Wonder Under -- but I would suggest on any of the larger
pieces you do the following regardless of which brand you select.

1) Trace your piece onto the fusible.
2) Cut out 1/8" on the OUTSIDE of your drawn line.
3) Cut out 1/8" to 1/4" on the INSIDE of your drawn line.
4) Then fuse to you fabric.

By leaving a bit of the fusible on the OUTSIDE of your drawn line -- when
you cut out your appliqué piece -- you will be certain to have fusible all
the way to the edge of your piece.

By removing the fusible from the center of your appliqué piece -- you will
remove the "heaviness" that you sometimes have with fusibles. It will not
only make the quilt softer -- but easier to quilt if you plan to do any
quilting inside your appliqué pieces (I usually do an outline or an echo or
something like that on the larger pieces.)

I've done many fusible appliqué quilts. The early ones I didn't remove the
"inner fusible" on the pieces and they are still a bit stiff. The more
recent quilts have it removed... and they are nice and soft and huggable!

--
Kate in MI

Old May 22nd 10, 06:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

And, whichever you choose, do read the instructions. ( I realize full well
that reading instructions is totally unnatural). The iron temp and whether
to keep moving or don't move make a heap of difference in your success.
Polly

Old May 22nd 10, 06:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

I've found that Misty Fuse is good for not making things stiff, but it's
standard version comes without a backing, so it's not easy to copy
applique templates on to it, there are instructions on the pack and
various methods online, you definitely need an applique pressing sheet
and it's a fuss, but less fuss than all the stitching which you have to
do for almost every method!

It also doesn't gum up your needle, but I haven't had that problem with
other fusibles that I've tried, but then I've generally only done one
block at a time.

Cheers
Anne
Old May 22nd 10, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dealer83

Kate in MIhttp://community.webshots.com/user/K_Groves

"claudia" wrote in message

Good morning everyone

Here I am again with a question.

I will be embarking on an applique project to make a baby quilt for a
friend of mine (as soon as she tells me she's pregnant!). I have found
the perfect quilt patten for her (teddy's playhouse) but it involves
applique (Lots and lots and lots). So this gives you an idea of how
special this friend is to me, as some of you may remember me saying
that I really REALLY don't like applique!.

So here's my question; which is better/which shoul I use, heat n bond
or steam a seam???
Preferences? Why?

It makes no difference to me; I will have to buy whichever online so
hit me with the recommendations!

Thanks

Claudia

Kate, I think I'm getting your instructions. Does that mean that you
are left with maybe 1/2" of fusible just going around the edge then?
Nothing in the middle of the applique? I have a sheep applique quilt
on my 'to do' list and will have to try that method. Donna
Old May 22nd 10, 06:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

I love Misty Fuse. I've had nothing but trouble with Wonder Under
(regardless of whether I read/follow instructions or not). Steam a
Seam is fine, but I still like Misty Fuse better. There is now a new
form of Misty Fuse that won't react to UV rays and so you can be
assured that it will never darken inside a project someday far in the
future when a careless heir leaves the quilt hanging in bright
sunlight.

Sunny
Old May 22nd 10, 06:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Love the 'regardless of whether I follow the instructions or not' Sunny.
I bought a mess of Misty Fuse but never used it yet. I have had really good
luck with the heat and bond lite over the years. Has to be lite.
I got ahold of some of the 'not lite" (can't remember what it is called)
and ruined a small project.
Taria

Old May 22nd 10, 09:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate in MI

Yes, Donna -- just an "empty picture frame" that you press to the wrong side
of your fabric. When you cut out your appliqué piece -- you will have a
"frame" of fusible around the perimeter of your piece.

--
Kate in MI

Old May 22nd 10, 09:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate in MI

Hmmmm

I've used it for years and years and never had a lick of trouble. HOT
iron -- and how long I press it never seemed to make a difference. There
are a few that say silk setting for 1-2 seconds or something like that. I
can never seem to get those to stick.

Guess buy (or borrow a swatch from friends) and try a few different ones and
see what works best for you!

--
Kate in MI

steam a seam pomodoro Quilting 19 July 21st 06 04:20 PM
Wonder Under vs. Heat & Bond vs. ??? Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 22 March 1st 06 10:27 PM
Steam-A-Seam venting.... marbles_2 Quilting 4 May 18th 05 08:49 PM
Help! Steam a Seam Donna in Idaho Quilting 3 December 7th 04 02:32 AM
Heat and Bond lite KJ Quilting 11 March 11th 04 03:00 PM