*&%^%@$*&^ Plackets

Old September 3rd 03, 05:34 AM
duh who

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
G'day duh who!

I was thinking: why don't you get hold of a bit of calico (muslin?) and do

practice placket? I won't argue with you: they *are* hard to do,

especially the
first time. But once you've got a clear idea of *why* they're constructed

the
way they are, it makes them a lot easier.

I've done them, probably 10 of them. I'm just TIRED of them.

Also, it is a good bit easier to make the placket before sewing the sleeve

seam.

I do.

Thanks for the pointers though. I guess I'm paying the price for preferring
long sleeve shirts.

Old September 3rd 03, 10:57 AM
Kate Dicey

bogus address wrote:

I was thinking: why don't you get hold of a bit of calico (muslin?)
and do a practice placket? I won't argue with you: they *are* hard
to do, especially the first time.

Let not the creaking of shoes nor the rustling of
silks betray thy poor heart to woman: keep thy foot
out of brothels, thy hand out of plackets, thy pen
from lenders' books, and defy the foul fiend.

- Edgar in _King Lear_, Act III, scene iv

I take it he isn't talking about plackets in sleeves...

There is also a 17th century song "Joan's Placket is Torn" (goes
to a tune much like "The Cock of the North" a.k.a. "Auntie Mary Hid
a Canary Up the Leg of her Drawers") and I think we can assume the
placket that met with said mishap was in a different place too.

======== Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce ========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

I've always wanted to know how the rest of that canary song went...
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old September 4th 03, 12:53 AM
Trish Brown

bogus address wrote:

I was thinking: why don't you get hold of a bit of calico (muslin?)
and do a practice placket? I won't argue with you: they *are* hard
to do, especially the first time.

Let not the creaking of shoes nor the rustling of
silks betray thy poor heart to woman: keep thy foot
out of brothels, thy hand out of plackets, thy pen
from lenders' books, and defy the foul fiend.

- Edgar in _King Lear_, Act III, scene iv

I take it he isn't talking about plackets in sleeves...

snip

Oh! ROTFL!!! Guffaw! I'd forgotten that! How appropriate, though! It was very
clever of you to think of it! Heeheeheeheeheeheeheehee! '...hand out of
plackets' indeed! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Here's my offering:

There once was a man with a placket
'twas harder to make than a racquet
He folded and pressed
Held it close to his breast
And fin'ly decided to whack it! (er - the placket!)

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old September 4th 03, 01:13 AM
bogus address

"Auntie Mary Hid a Canary Up the Leg of her Drawers"

I've always wanted to know how the rest of that canary song went...

There's doesn't seem to be much to it in any version, though there are
a heck of a lot of variants. To see what some awesomely good scholars
have to say about it, read...

http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=11873#90486