Vogue Magazine pattern problem

Old December 25th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Susan Stonehill

Default Vogue Magazine pattern problem

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make a sweater for my niece using pattern 12 in the winter
01/02 issue of Vogue Magazine. It's an Oscar de la renta pattern using
a gold yarn. The original yarn called for is Berrocco's Metallica (now
called Brilliant FX). I couldn't get that yarn, but found Patton's
Brilliant instead. The original gauge for the Metallica is 22 stitches
to 4 inches on Size 8 US (5mm) - according to Yarndex. Brilliant is 24
stitches to 4" on size 5 needles. The pattern calls for a gauge - in
cable pattern of 38 stitches and 38 rows. (The sweater is 6 stitch
cable and border repeated over and over again. I worked up a swatch
with the brilliant, but I had to go down to a size 2 needle to get
close! (I'm generally pretty close when working with gauges and I've
been knitting for decades!) I'm just about at wit's end, because I
can't believe that the yarns are that different. They're both labeled
with the "4" symbol in yarn weights.

I'd really appreciate any ideas. This is the sweater my niece picked
out and has been waiting for very patiently.

Thanks everyone, and very happy holidays.

Susie

Old December 25th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 04:12:49 GMT, Susan Stonehill
wrote:

I'd really appreciate any ideas. This is the sweater my niece picked
out and has been waiting for very patiently.

Figure out how big the sweater will be when you knit it at your gauge,
then determine which canned size will work with your gauge to produce
a sweater that'll fit the intended recipient.

Old December 25th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

wrote:
I'd really appreciate any ideas. This is the sweater my niece picked
out and has been waiting for very patiently.

*tsk* I should have thought of this in the first place: teach the
niece how to knit, the the gauge problem is hers and not yours *g*
Old December 25th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Susan Stonehill

wrote:
I'd really appreciate any ideas. This is the sweater my niece picked
out and has been waiting for very patiently.

*tsk* I should have thought of this in the first place: teach the
niece how to knit, the the gauge problem is hers and not yours *g*

Frankly I love that solution too! but the truth is that she's not
interested in learning, and most importantly it's a way of showing how
much I care for her. So, your earlier reply is the way I'll have to
go.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm only an inch and 1/2 away from
finishing the sleeves on one of the Paton's Tiny Tots sweaters. Those
are the ones that have little stuffed animals in the pockets of the
sweater. They're fun to make!

Hope your holidays are wonderful,

Susie

Old December 26th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

wrote:

I'd really appreciate any ideas. This is the sweater my niece picked
out and has been waiting for very patiently.

Figure out how big the sweater will be when you knit it at your gauge,
then determine which canned size will work with your gauge to produce
a sweater that'll fit the intended recipient.

As long as your gauge gives an acceptable fabric, don't worry about
the number on the needles. Some people knit much more loosely than
others. But do block the swatch!

=Tamar

Old December 29th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Susan Stonehill

Thanks, Tamar I'll try that. I also just found out that the original
yarn (Berrocco's metallica is a flat yarn! That's probably why it
works up so much tighter. I checked all kinds of indexes, etc. and no
one ever mentioned that.) Finally I e-mailed Vogue magazine. They're
very nice, by the way, and explained that to me. I guest I'll have to
work up on smaller needles, for the smallest possible size and do some
redesigning. I was hoping for an easy one though. Oh well.

Susie

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 04:35:13 -0000, (Richard Eney)
wrote:

wrote:

I'd really appreciate any ideas. This is the sweater my niece picked
out and has been waiting for very patiently.

Figure out how big the sweater will be when you knit it at your gauge,
then determine which canned size will work with your gauge to produce
a sweater that'll fit the intended recipient.

As long as your gauge gives an acceptable fabric, don't worry about
the number on the needles. Some people knit much more loosely than
others. But do block the swatch!

=Tamar

Problem with pattern [email protected] Yarn 8 March 6th 05 12:17 PM
Problem with pattern -- maybe Sew-Sew Lady Yarn 2 January 10th 05 03:06 AM
FA: $3.50 Vogue Sewing Book, Revised Edition EoI Marketplace 0 June 13th 04 04:27 PM
Modifying a pattern Slinky Yarn 5 May 10th 04 11:58 PM
pattern construction book ? JJMolvik Yarn 2 April 2nd 04 09:11 PM