Sturdiest batting

Old December 18th 03, 02:02 PM
CHARLES MURPHY

Default Sturdiest batting

A question about batting ....this is probably a silly question...
My guild donates quilts to Pediatrics at the local hospital and through a NO
T reliable resource the message has come that they would like them without
batting so that they would stand up longer to the intense and frequent
washing they are subjected to. the source says the batting is wadding up and
thinning in places. So they thought old blankets or some woven fabric
instead of batting would be better.....Of course this creates another set of
p0roblems since we are all set up with donated batting and backings. It
would mean going out to buy other materials, which we don not have money for
since we are solely a charitable group with no dues and operate only on
donations....so I spoke to the Head Nurse in Peds yesterday and she said
they are washed a lot ......I asked if they were worn after 3 wahings , 30
washings or 100 washings.....I figure they just need to be replaced more
frequently...so she and I agreed we would make more quilts more frequently
so they can throw them away or let them go home with patients......
BUT have any of you had experience with a batting that you thought stood up
better than others.....I am thinking that some of these little quilts were
made with unbonded battings that are falling apart(not from our group, but
many people donate)....
I also had a thought that perhaps we should use a double thin bonded batting
and sandwich a scrim (muslin or cheesecloth or some light fabric) opposite
the grain of the traditional backing then do a quick turn....do you think
that would strengthen the batting for tying?
--
Mauvice in Central WI USA

Old December 18th 03, 02:42 PM
Pat in Virginia

Mauvice:
First thought that came to mind is that these little quilts need
MORE QUILTING. I would just add more lines of simple cross hatch
quilting, in several directions, close together. I think for
this type of project tying is not the preferred option. Another
idea, use one or two layers of cotton flannel instead of batting.
Be sure to pre wash that at least twice in HOT water. I admire
your efforts to aid kidlets.

HTH. PAT in VA/USA

Old December 18th 03, 02:59 PM
Julia Altshuler

The quilts I keep or give to friends don't get washed that much, and the
quilts I donate are never heard from again so I'm not sure how my
batting holds up, but I would guess that a cotton batt like Warm &
Natural would do pretty well. Even when sandwiching and basting the
polyester batts, I'd find I had to handle them so gingerly or they'd
separate, stretch, and form bald spots. I never have those problems
with Warm & Natural. I can handle it, spread it over a bed like a sheet
and smooth it out just fine. It doesn't need to be quilted very
closely. The manufacturer says it can be quilted 10" apart (though I
quilt it closer than that).

But you said you don't want to go out to buy new materials so let's take
another tack.

You asked about strengthening the batting for tying. The solution might
be found there. Tied quilts don't last as long as quilted ones, and
quilts that are quilted several inches apart don't last as long as ones
that are quilted closely. Instead of making twice as many quilts, if
you machine quilted the ones you make rather closely, maybe in a stipple
or straight line, you'd be saving effort in the long run.

--Lia

CHARLES MURPHY wrote:
A question about batting. This is probably a silly question.
My guild donates quilts to Pediatrics at the local hospital, and through a NOT

reliable resource the message has come that they would like them without
batting so that they would stand up longer to the intense and frequent
washing they are subjected to. The source says the batting is wadding up and
thinning in places so they thought old blankets or some woven fabric
instead of batting would be better. Of course this creates another set of
problems since we are all set up with donated batting and backings. It
would mean going out to buy other materials which we do not have money for
since we are solely a charitable group with no dues and operate only on
donations. So I spoke to the Head Nurse in Peds yesterday, and she said
they are washed a lot. I asked if they were worn after 3 washings, 30
washings or 100 washings. I figure they just need to be replaced more
frequently. She and I agreed we would make more quilts more frequently

Old December 18th 03, 03:57 PM
Taria

More quilting was my first thought too. I would thing W&N
would be pretty tough with a lot of quilting.
Taria

Old December 18th 03, 05:33 PM
Charlotte Hippen

To use your current donated supplies, I'd suggest close quilting rather than
tying like the others. If you don't want to spend this much time for your
next batch of quilts and would rather tie, then maybe ask for donations of
old blankets that you could cut up and put inside (like you were already
thinking). I assume that you are making small quilts so if they have holes
in them making them no longer useful, you could cut them up to make use of
the areas that are still good. My grandmother does this all the time. The
only time she uses batting in a quilt, is when my mother gives it to her
because she likes recycling old worn out blankets and quilts (waste not,
want not kind of attitude). In fact she uses them whole, holes and all at
lot of the time. She ties them and, while they haven't been washed as often
as the hospital ones I'm sure, they have lasted a good many years. She
still has a few that I remember from my early child hood that are in good
shape. The outside tends to wear out on her before she has "batting"
issues. They are my favorite blankets/quilts because they are so warm
(heavy, but warm) and have stories that go along with all the materials
(often scraps from grandpas worn out pj's or my mothers childhood dresses,
etc.) and the many memories that each quilt has. Some of them even have
quits made by my great grandmothers inside somewhere among all the layers,
making them great family heirlooms as well. Sorry for the slight side
track. Another idea would be to ask for fleece donations and put a layer or
two of that inside. I should think that it would hold up well.

HTH
Charlotte

Old December 18th 03, 05:57 PM
Taria

The guild gals I know used to have a way to strip the electric
parts out of electric blankets and use those. There are a lot
of those things around in thrift stores and such. Maybe those
would work if you could figure out how to use them.
Taria

Old December 18th 03, 07:27 PM
Bonnie

I have used a layer of flannel instead of batting, when I
made baby things. It holds up and is very soft.
- -
Bonnie, the Quilt Lady
NJ

Old December 18th 03, 07:47 PM
Sudrlg

Hi Mauvice
I am voting with the quilt rather than tie folks. I have a lot of doggie mats
that are at least 5 yrs old. They have been washed many many times - often
weekly or even daily when I had sick dogs. They were my first quilts - all HQ.
They are not wonderful looking - chewed, tattered and clunky stitches to top
it all off - but no bunched batting. The batting I used was thick poly that
came on a roll. I have no idea as to the brand or bonding. Also, I would
check on that not
very reliable source - you might not have a problem at all.
Deena - in Philly
Old December 18th 03, 10:40 PM
Marilyn

As Taria mentioned, our guild strips the electric wiring from warn elec.
blankets to use for making Ugly Quilts/Sleeping bag/quilts for the homeless
in the cities who will not sleep in a shelter.

If I remember right, we just snipped small holes at the top and bottom of
each row of wiring and pulled them out, doesnt take long at all, and the
little holes do not seem to ravel or create any prob. at all.
Would make great batting for large quilts, or cut up would work for several
baby quilts.

Marilyn in Moravia, NY

Old December 19th 03, 02:37 AM
Neeej

we just snipped small holes at the top and bottom of
each row of wiring and pulled them out, doesnt take long at all, and the
little holes do not seem to ravel or create any prob. at all.

I've done the same thing to make critter blankets at work---they hold up fine &
the beasties didn't care what they looked like :-)
-- Jean S