Batting Scraps

Old October 10th 03, 02:00 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

Default Batting Scraps

Hi Guys,
I should imagine there are a LOT of you out there who have bags full of
batting leftovers and are wondering what to do with them. I had a ton of old
poly batt scraps and some were "adequate" sized pieces, the size that would be
suitable for a miniature quilt. But they were poly batting and that stuff is
yucky. I had been tearing it up and using it to stuff small needlework pillows
that I finish for a designer.
Anyway, I was cleaning up the sewing room and knew I had wayyyyy to much of
this stuff laying around and so I sent Jill at Critter comforts an e-mail
asking her if she would like the stuff. I received a resounding YES and
started to sort through my scraps. Jill had questioned me about what I meant
by "adequate" and said that she *could* use the long skinny pieces that I also
had! You know -- the leftovers from an 84" wide quilt that used 90" wide
batting -- those two long pieces that are about 3' or 4" wide and really long!!
So, I packed all this batting in a box to send to Jill. I needed to go by
JoAnns before the P.O. so I bought several yards of their clearance fabrics at
about $1.00 a yard to include and I tossed in all of that nasty poly-cotton
backing from when I redid my DMIL's cat quilt and that made a pretty ice bunch
of stuff for all those "baby" quilts that Jill makes :-)))!
Jill uses the basting spray to keep those little pieces of batting together
while she quilts the animal quilts, so even fairly narrow stuff is usable. I
am sure she would be more than happy to get all of the leftovers from any of us
willing to send them to her! I am also pretty sure she doesn't care if it's
poly batting or W&N, etc. This way, Jill gets stuff she needs for the "baby"
quilts and we get to clean out some of the stuff hiding in the dark recesses of
our sewing room closets :-))). CiaoMeow ^;;^
..
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old October 10th 03, 02:15 PM
frood

You know, I was just wondering that the other day - what to do with batting
scraps! I have more than I can use for craft projects, especially since I
don't really do craft projects! (But ya gotta keep some just in case....)

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply " wrote in
message ...
[...]

.
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^

Old October 10th 03, 03:36 PM
Valkyrie

What a great idea, hadn't thought of it. If anyone around the Tacoma,
Washington area has poly batting scraps I'd take some and be most grateful.
I'm making Trauma bears for the Domestic Violence Shelters and Police Dept.
I have fabric but stuffing them is becoming a financial problem. No reason I
couldn't use poly batting scraps.

My email address is ValkyrieMI at yahoo you know the rest. If you would
please put "bears" in the subject line I won't inadvertently dump it as
spam. If you send me a note we can work out another good use for this stuff.
I'd be shredding it up for bear stuffing anyway so the size of the scrap
wouldn't make any difference. Plus you could squash a lot of that into a box
and still be pretty light for cheap mailing rates. I'm in a wheelchair and
no longer drive so I'm afraid picking them up would be a problem.

Val

m...

Old October 10th 03, 06:55 PM
Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\)

We give batting scraps to the ladies in our area that make Hug a Bears.
They give the bears to hospitals and police departments, etc. They are
always pleased to receive all our scraps.
--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply

The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

Old October 10th 03, 08:33 PM
Marilyn

and I can attest to the fact that all these scraps get well used. I belong
to a Guild of about 25 quilters, we had our meeting last Wed. evening as we
all sat around big tables and cut out Hug a Bears. By the end of the
evening we had 50 done in the brightest most huggable colors and patterns
you have ever seen. These will all go to Auburn Memorial Hospital, a local
fire co. and a local EMS unit.
We all had scraps to donate and have decided that was one of the most fun
evenings we had had in several years at Guild.
Marilyn in Moravia

Old October 11th 03, 04:36 AM
The Laws

Man- I must have the most pickie charity groups in the world. I called
the Hospital and Police Bear group here and they said they didn't like
batting, its too hard to stuff wth and they make lumps in the bears My
local hospital won't accept Preemie clothes or quilts, just knitted
caps..Oh well. Kay

Old October 11th 03, 07:03 AM
Valkyrie

"The Laws" wrote in message
Man- I must have the most pickie charity groups in the world. I called
the Hospital and Police Bear group here and they said they didn't like
batting, its too hard to stuff wth and they make lumps in the bears My
local hospital won't accept Preemie clothes or quilts, just knitted
caps..Oh well. Kay

Isn't that just sad. The poly batting works just fine, you just have to
shred it up a little before stuffing to keep the animal lump free. The
neighboring large city doesn't want hand made anything. They will however
take cash so they can buy bears, blankets and preemie clothes. Then in the
next breath they cry about not getting enough donations to have bears and
such. Doesn't make much sense to me. I called their Women's Shelter and
Rehab Center once and asked them if they would like two sewing machines I
had, in very good working order. They explained they didn't take used
articles but if I wanted to sell them and send them the money that would be
very nice. I guess I'm not that nice, I didn't do it.

The little community I am in has all kinds of volunteers making things.
There are groups of ladies who meet regularly to knit and crochet blankets,
hats, scarves and mittens. Repair donated clothing, and I mean when they get
done this stuff is good as new, looks great. They have a little quilting
group that is always making quilts for one reson or the other. My opinion
about this is that the community benefits from both ends of donated goods
and volunteers to use them. It makes people have a sense of community to do
something worth while that benefits those who are in need and give those who
do these things for them a purpose and to be needed. The cash only people
are really missing the boat IMHO.

Val

Old October 11th 03, 11:57 AM
CHARLES MURPHY

I have been stuffing pillows with it.....finished a project...no pillow form
....saw this on tv....lady made envelope of batting then filled it with
scraps of batting....worked very slick.

Old October 11th 03, 12:04 PM
CHARLES MURPHY

My group Round Barn quilters started making quilts from everyone's overflow
fabrics, stuff we bought and then for whatever reason didn't want
anymore....Just last week we gave four fire quilts to a family whose house
had burned down......great feeling to do something to help perfect
strangers. We have wonderful thank you notes to remind us how often this
random act of kindness touches peoples lives.....we also donate to
Pediatrics at the hospital and a daycare for Alzheimers patients...willingly
accepted because of durability and washability.....Nothing fancy 6 in ch
squares, the bighter the better , tied. We have a cutting sorting night
every so often, make up packets of 63 squares ....everyone takes several
home and brings back tops,sew together 7 x 9 then as a group we have a tying
night....make small quilts or sew 4 together for a full size quilt....
Mauvice in WI
"Marilyn" wrote in message
and I can attest to the fact that all these scraps get well used. I

belong
to a Guild of about 25 quilters, we had our meeting last Wed. evening as

we
all sat around big tables and cut out Hug a Bears. By the end of the
evening we had 50 done in the brightest most huggable colors and patterns
you have ever seen. These will all go to Auburn Memorial Hospital, a

local
fire co. and a local EMS unit.
We all had scraps to donate and have decided that was one of the most fun
evenings we had had in several years at Guild.
Marilyn in Moravia

Recycle gold-filled scraps? bluemaxx Beads 8 October 12th 03 07:52 PM
Recycle gold-filled scraps? bluemaxx Beads 0 October 10th 03 03:30 AM
Batting mini-rant: Poly v. Cotton Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 2 September 16th 03 06:01 PM
Fusible batting aluap Quilting 5 August 31st 03 05:38 PM
who likes scraps? Ann Adamson Quilting 15 August 15th 03 04:59 AM