LNS in South FL (Boca Area)

Old January 14th 04, 07:20 PM
Ellice

Default LNS in South FL (Boca Area)

Well, before I leave another thing to the last possible moment - thought I'd
ask for some favorite LNS. Heading to Boca Raton (S Florida) on Friday til
next Wed a.m. - and I've promised my crazy aunt to do a quick run to an LNS
with her. This is the aunt that I've kitted up a sampler to start - but, I
probably need to get her some odds 'n ends (at the least, we're can get her
a Q-snap at JoAnn's).

So, suggestions appreciated - DH and I have a rental car, so driving around
is no problem - we'll likely be heading down to S Miami one day (the weekend
is tied up with family stuff).

Now - I'm heading out to try and find something to wear to this BlackTie Bat
Mitzvah reception - nothing like waiting to shop. Last night we found a new
shirt and tie (white on white shirt, black on black tie) for DH to wear with
his tux - instead of the more traditional wing collars. He can look more
trendy - tee hee. Hoping my dear cousin will be able to keep me from
expressing my true feelings for the evil SIL - either verbally or
physically. DH says it's his and our cousin-in-law (my cous's DH) job to
keep DC & I from exploding over the weekend.

Got to run - all help appreciated -
ellice

Old January 14th 04, 09:55 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Ellice wrote:

Now - I'm heading out to try and find something to wear to this BlackTie Bat
Mitzvah reception - nothing like waiting to shop.

If you haven't tried already, try Mae's in McLean.
*Huge* selection.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 15th 04, 05:54 AM
Ellice

On 1/14/04 3:55 PM,"Ericka Kammerer" posted:

Ellice wrote:

Now - I'm heading out to try and find something to wear to this BlackTie Bat
Mitzvah reception - nothing like waiting to shop.

If you haven't tried already, try Mae's in McLean.
*Huge* selection.

LOL - I have actually gotten some really nice things at Mae's. Actually -
the outfit I wore for our wedding was from Mae's - mid-green - like deep
pistachio - silk & silk velvet - long straight skirt, double layer, slit up
the sides, with Saworski crystals hanging at the 4 corners, silk camisole
with the velvet trim, and a long, floaty, burn-out silk velvet jacket - with
extra-long pointy kind of fairy type sleeves - ripple edge hems - with more
crystal drops hanging from the points of the sleeves and the jacket. The
most expensive thing I've every owned - except my prior real wedding gown
(which I'm trying to decide how to sell). Anyhow, I don't want to wear it to
this thing. The great thing about Mae's - they carry an incredible variety
of size (2-24), and price - from the low hundred's to about $10,000. It's
one of those places where people going to the real galas buy dresses. And
they have great customer service, actual seamstresses that do the
alterations - just like in the olden days :^) And it's always fun to check
out Mae's huge jewelry (the owner has some worth ogling).

So, FWIW - I did really well in Nordie's at Tyson's. Got 2 outfits - one is
kind of sort of victorian meets fantasy - floaty on the bias skirt,
asymetrical hem - black on black with a couple of kinds of lace trim, long
tunic w/ half sleeves - kind of petal sleeves of lace, and a deep v-neck
-with more assymetrical trim. It's nice. Also got - what I think I'm wearing
- a really nice silk, Ivory, burn-out velvet blouse with a deep drape
neckline, and long, pointy sleeves - embroidered with some really nice
opally beads, little cyrstals. It's a floral burn-out pattern.. And I like
the very long, slit open sleeves. Have black silk evening pants - kind of
interesting - they're 2 layers - the under like regular palazzo pants, and
the over - slit open all the way up the sides. It's an interesting look - I
think that's what I want to wear for the Black Tie evening -it's on a boat,
and I still have the stupid walking cast, so......DH got a really nice white
on white shirt, with a black on black tie, so we should go nicely together -
as if that would honestly matter - sartorially speaking. I did learn that
the formal wear shirts - even with traditional rather than wing collar -
have no pocket - which distinguishes them from regular shirts.

And for more fun - I bought a casual, fun shirt - one of those oversize, man
style - white cotton with black stripes, with little sparkly things here and
there - and for a design it's got kind of pyschedelic 1" tall martinis here
and there - the olive's kind of glow. It's pretty fun - has something to do
with our friends that we go out with a lot - we're all kind of 'tini
drinkers. Well, I'm the cheapest drunk in town - 1 and I'm very happy - 1
more, and well - definitely don't let me drive - I can barely get around I'm
so happy.

Anyhow, Erika - thanks for the suggestion. Now, if only I can get thru the
wash, and the work I have to do tonight, tomorrow, etc.

ellice

Old January 15th 04, 07:01 AM
FSU Stitcher

Ellice wrote in message ...
Well, before I leave another thing to the last possible moment - thought I'd
ask for some favorite LNS.

snip

I can recommend two in Miami: Cross Stitch Station at 18 SW 8
Street(the corner of 8 street and Miami Avenue)and Absolutely
Needlepoint at 2625 SW 28 Street(a block north and east of 27 Ave).
Janet at CSS is a delight. She has been open less than a year but has
wonderful things. Holly and her staff at AN are great. She has
wonderful canvases and will take orders for custom work as well.

Cross Stitch Station 305/372-3730 www.miamicrossstitch.com
Absolutely Needlepoint 305/858-1212

I have also been to Cross Stitch Cupboard at 1600 NE 26 Street in Fort
Lauderdale, 1-800-572-4153. Since they are not as close I can't
really tell you too much about them, except they have a large
collection of charts, kits and, of course, threads and fabric.

Enjoy your stay in sunny,*warm* South Florida.
Old January 15th 04, 02:57 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Ellice wrote:

[...]

Funny - I've been shopping, but at places like Burlington Coat Factory
(underwear to coats and all the layers in between), Marshall's and TJ Maxx.
Most expensive thing - a tie for a pair of sandals and a dressy blouse (tank
top with sheer over shirt in deep red) at $36. The back velvet pants were
$18 and the blue satin top was 11. The new underwear adds $50, 5 new bras!

Someday I do have to go shopping with you!
Cheryl

Old January 15th 04, 03:57 PM
Brenda Lewis

Must be nice! I have to pay that much for one. {grumble grumble}

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: "Pink Baby" photo frame, Candamar -- I really need to get some

Old January 15th 04, 05:27 PM
Elizabeth in Boca

And there's another really nice shop with a great staff in Lake Park
(between West Palm Beach and Jupiter probably 45 minutes north via 95 or FL
TP ) called

Always in Stitches
9339 Alt. A1A
Lake Park, FL 33403
561 - 848 - 8024
Toll Free 1-888-6-Needle
http://www.alwaysinstitches.com/

Then I understand there's a nice new weaving/fiber shop in Delray that
includes goodies to eat also.
Penelope's Breads and Threads.
353 N. Swinton Ave.,
Delray Beach, FL 33444
(561) 272-1000
I have not been there but our EGA chapter may be making a field trip there
soon.

Cross Stitch Cupboard in Ft L that the previous poster mentioned is
definitely worth the trip south from Boca too.

There are other mostly needlepoint shops in Boca but I don't NP and can't
recommend them.
Hope you have a great time in our town!

Elizabeth in Boca